Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Condor coversion to Big Bore

Condor coversion to Big Bore
December 29, 2012 09:20PM
Hello All,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

Awhile I ago I had been wanting to draw the Airforce Condor in CAD and was finally able to this winter.

condor_384_assembly_hidden.JPG

When completed, not perfect but close, I realized that the self made barrels I had buttoned four years prior would almost "bolt" right in. With a few minor mods and machining it worked! No machining to the Condor, it is still stock. Had to make a new hammer and bolt but that was easy.

condor11th.jpg

condor21th.jpg

When I purchased the rifle used, one tank came with the high flow valve. I thought this might work for a 40 cal lead ball. At least see if I was in the correct path of making it work.

condor4th.jpg

First time I shot it, wow it was loud. I shot at a target placing a 2 x 4" where I was grouping. I pumped up the tank, set the hammer spring tension to high and fired. Almost through the 2 x 4". I knew it was traveling at a good velocity by the depth of penetration.

condor25th.jpg

This week I took sometime to setup with a chrony. only 1 of the 4 shots registered, but was 733 FPS with a 93.2 grain ball!

condor30th.jpg

I wasn't far away, 64 feet, but first two shots were very close! This plateform is by far better suited to test a homemade barrel.

condor38th.jpg

Need to get my scuba tank topped up, hand pumping is to much work. To pooped to shoot after. Haven't mastered benchrest shooting and hope to work on that in the New Year with a better setup.

I can see why guys like big bores. The power is incredible! Although mine is nothing compared to what Gary is launching from his rifles, 400+ grains!

Thanks for reading,

Pedro G
December 29, 2012 11:36PM
Good work. Lots of fun to test after all the work.

I guess you can just "phone in" alterations now that you have the CAD/CAM. hehehe.

Gary
December 30, 2012 05:18PM
Big bore is a lot of fun. I can see why so many are wanting to get into it.

I used CAD/CAM as I can "see" things better in 3D modeling. I can work from an image in my head but not as well. My hat is off to those that can build entire projects/machinery from images in their head. My dad is like that. No formal training and yet can design and build a rollforming line from "blueprints" in his mind. He jokingly says, all I need is a grinder and cutting torch and welder. But he grew up having to know what most would call "old school" technology.

Big bore has been on my mind for years and with the relaxed gun registry in Canada, a perfect time. Trying to decide what to build next. Thought the Airforce might be a good platform design to build something from scratch, but I also like the traditional rifles. The Henry rifle has a really nice look, would make a nice looking big bore in my opinion.

We do live in a world where you can just "phone it in". One unfortunate thing with CAD is, if you design it wrong, everyone sees the result. Haha.
December 30, 2012 12:21PM
Good work . . . I still remember the first time I saw an airgun paper-punch a 2x4 like it wasn't there. Fun stuff! smileys with beer

Gary, you've got room for an in-house 7-axis CNC mill now . . . do it! typing

-- Jim
December 30, 2012 04:22PM
Hi Jim,

I'm building a NINE AXIS mill but the 8th and 9th are in the Fifth Dimension and the darn parts keep disappearing! excited

And - I keep hearing "Aquarius" playing somewhere .... why me

Gary
December 30, 2012 05:22PM
I surprised myself the first time as I hadn't chronied the setup. Thought ball would penetrate the 2x4 by perhaps 3/4", not almost through!
December 31, 2012 06:41PM
Nice work Pedro, it's interesting to see what that Airforce rifle is capable of with a bit of modding. Of course, when you go from .25 to .40 with your own barrel and valve it's more like an overhaul than a simple modification. grinning smiley

Sort of like pulling out the little 4 cylinder engine in a car and stuffing in a big V-8 to see how fast it'll run. Of course as Gary has repeatedly pointed out over the years and you've noticed by pumping, you don't get something for nothing. That big V-8 really goes through the fuel.
December 30, 2012 04:30PM
Yea, you can sell them as your Rejects at 1/2 price, get some cash flow going again. New customers will be thinking WOW, If These are his Rejects what does his Good Stuff look like?take a bow
December 31, 2012 02:55PM
sounds like a really fun project Pedro especially having made those barrels four years ago I have always been a fan of customizing something and pretty much just improving on something that has all the kinks worked out of it already! I am myself just getting into big bores and really appreciate stories like yours get my enthusiasm up and running good luck and hope you have a safe and happy new year

Thanks
Kurt
December 31, 2012 05:12PM
Hello Kurt,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Wish you a Happy New Year as well.

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021