Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Fixtures and progress pics

Fixtures and progress pics
December 30, 2012 05:15AM
Recent progress ...

assembly_bench.jpg

I built and installed another bench in the studio. This will be an assembly bench and work table.

drill_rack.jpg

In order to have things available - the groupings of tool bits must make sence for the machine loactions. I decided I needed a visible drill bit and reamer rack. I should make the bits readily available and be easy to put them back. The blocks of bits just weren't working for this location and the height available. Only had to drill half a million holes here for the rack.

I sorted and grouped my cherry cutters for all the slugs I make. The previous blocks of bits were over crowded and I am storing them differently then before. Wow - what a bunch of work all those would be to repeat!

20ton_press.jpg

Found a home for the 20 ton press I made many years ago.

50ton_press.jpg

Found a home for the 50 ton press. I made this for using my shearing die sets and raising dies I made during my knifemaking career. It also has many uses for the knives. And, it processes my jewelry making die sets.

I needed a bench to set it on. I made that today. Hey Lon - I used the tractor to carry it in an lift it onto the bench! thumbs up hahaha.

80ydsStanding.jpg

Last pic is from my shooting yesterday afternoon. I only shot two groups. This was the 620 grain slugs. My dedicated rifle slug for the 62 Yukon. They flew well. Gosh - I hadn't shot this rifle in about a year IIRC. Shot this standing with the barrel laying in the window sill on a small leather bench bag.

Gary
December 30, 2012 04:12PM
i see the old 'Eagle Eye' is still working as good as always. glad you could get to enjoy a few moments for yourself. Do it more often.(& that's an Order)

Rick
December 30, 2012 09:15PM
I'll have to do that Rick.
I've been pushingarock as much and long as I could. Just have to get this done. You'd be amazed how long it can take to sort and find a place for all this stuff. I know where is WAS but ..... Haha.
Thks for reading. Thanks for your comment. I don't do the Facebook thingie. I do enjoy some selected himan contact though - out here in the Yaupon. Haha.
Gary
December 30, 2012 11:55PM
tool_bench.jpg

Can you believe I spent most of Sunday here? Organizing these hundreds of tool bits. I also unpacked quite a few packages of shop "stuff" and found places for it.

At the end of the day - I'd love to see another story or two on the sky scraper - but instead .... I have to point to a barely disernable degree of organization. But - I'll take it. You can't work if you can't find your tools.

Gary
December 31, 2012 02:25AM
looks good Gary now let's just hope you can keep it that way ! It seems like anytime I needed tool I have to retrace my last project to find those tools that I just left laying around . looks like you might even have a little room to hang on the front of those drill boards some little dishes for carbide inserts or what not .spending that much time is always time well spent cuz you know the devil's in the details and there's nothing worse than wasting time looking for a tool

Thanks
Kurt
December 31, 2012 03:15AM
You are right Kurt. There are far more holes there then used. I can add in a layer of small diameter items. I can attach baskets and/or magnets. The previous owner was big on peg board. I'm trying to use that too. Finally found a bunch of hooks and such in a heavy size for this bigger board.

I'm hoping that better planned tool location will allow me to keep the tooling picked up better. I'm sure I will rearrange things as I go, but I can't start with things wrapper, or in tubs and piles.

Last good thing. If I decide a location and make racks and such, it's likely I'll recall where things are. For the reader, consider that I have to know the location of literal THOUSANDS of items to get through a build such as I do. No exaggeration. And, my attention and concentration has to be on the details and tolerances of the work being built. I can't be distracted by endless scavenger hunts.

Gary
December 31, 2012 07:03PM
You've hit the problem right on the head Gary. The dreaded scavenger hunt, the bane of my current project existence. Right now my tools are split between my current house and the garage of our old house in a town that's 90 miles away...by water, no roads. If I come up short on something, it's either schedule a trip on the ferryboat or head to the hardware store to buy yet another one. I'll start a project and then find out halfway through that I need a bit or a blade that I don't have...in this house anyway. I swear I've got five or six 25' tape measures, but I can never find one when something needs measured without hunting one down first. Same goes for any number of other tools, it's very frustrating.
January 01, 2013 03:54AM
You put a lip on that bench to keep barrels and bits from rolling off eh? Beats the eraser trick!
January 01, 2013 04:08AM
Yeah - it's all "lipped up" Jerry. haha.

Boy - all that stuff does love the floor though. winking smiley

GAry
January 02, 2013 01:17AM
That's some great progess you're showing! I'm just starting my collection of tools. I'll know I'm getting closer to useful in the shop when I can make my own tools like those. self-hammer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021