Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Progress in Range Shack

Progress in Range Shack
January 04, 2013 12:22AM
seal.jpg

Clean out area. Spray foam any channels for bugs. The bottom of this building is tightly sealed with a plywood skin across the bottom of the floor joists - but it sits elevated on stilts.

Seal_rafters.jpg

I sealed the metal/rafter channels too.

deer_tracks.jpg

Closest I've seen on the property here.

insulate.jpg

I insulated with white fiberglass blanket insulation.

frame.jpg

laid in a frame of 2 by 6. The sheathed it in a 3/4" plywood deck.

I covered the wall in a thick white vinyl roofing material I had here. I think I'll do the whole inside this way when I bring more materials down here. This won't echo like drywall or plywood sheathing would. Might stay more quiet in here. Hope so.

Lizard.jpg

Found a bud in my stashed materials. He was a bit cold and sluggish. Me too! Even more coffee Cold, rainy today for a semi-outdoor project. This building has large barn doors which were open as I worked outside cutting, etc.

bench.jpg

Installed the bench and made a step. I'll have storage underneath the deck. The seats are boat seats mounted on a stalk. There are two base mounts already on this bench set up. This is my knock down portable bench. It always sat well and made a great base for good accuracy. I decided to use it here, thus.

Still enjoying every minute brick wall

Green bowing

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2013 12:25AM by barnespneumatic.
January 04, 2013 04:50AM
Occured to me; when things are in place - it won't appear to be such a stage. There is still plenty of headroom. The room still has plenty of room to work and store items. The elevated window really adds a measure of safety I've thought of for years. Wondering if I'd ever have a range to work with - I thought of this and always liked the concept.
I've used a range shooting port before at someone else's place. Though we warned and warned folks - and put up range flags and bright ribbons ... we STILL had people try to stroll on by the shooting port. Won't happen on my watch - unless someone is on tall stilts. I'll watch for that one too!
So - inside; I had to have some element of compromise to do what I wanted to do outside. Painted in - with the chairs in place and the other racks and shelves, it will be very nice.
I'll also fill tanks, and cast and size slugs in this building. Should allow a thorough set of operations to support the testing I require. Nearly there.
Actually, most of the infrastructure is coming together finally. Hang in there.
Gary
January 04, 2013 08:11PM
Looks like a great job but the window seems kinda small.Is that just for r+d or will you eventually entertain Target shooting elsewhere on the same lane from another location?

Thanks
Kurt
January 04, 2013 10:54PM
Plan is to use this location. Actually the window looks down two lanes now. With the gun on a bipod or bags, the bore is centered in the lower window. I can accommodate right or left handers. Just slide the bench if needed. I wanted it to contain noise. I might be the only one that cares down here, but I don't want to sweat the details and be nervous when testing. I hope it all works.

Doing more insulation and sheathing now. Green bowing

Gary
January 05, 2013 05:14AM
Well - out with the vinyl covering - in with the 5mm plywood. The rest of my vinyl materials are in Maryland. This needs to be done yesterday. I've been sheathing today. Sourced all the materials for shelving, and did some more insulation too.

I'm sure it's getting boring. I can tell that the more material I post - the less feedback I get. But - it is what it is. I can only get it done so fast. I'm proceeding as planned. Knew it would be an enormous task. It's usable when it's set up. The only thing I can make faster is "Stress". excited And most days I make too much of that. Fortunately, the pics of the stress are too large a file to fit here. whistling So; I'm just posting the linear progress - not the cicular tail chasing.

I'll be thrilled to cut steel and wood. It's coming.

Friday is complete. Bring Saturday!

Gary
January 05, 2013 07:42PM
Foundation, then framing, then roof, then siding...

Can't start buying furniture and picking paint colors until the house is finished, after all.
January 06, 2013 03:49AM
night_shift.jpg

When I had thought of Winter in Florida ... it didn't occur to me that it would STILL get dark at 5pm. Bummer. So; I've been pulling the "night shift" to get some work done on the Range Shop. It's been cool and rainy - poor us, I know - but it has been rather nasty in the evenings for night projects. Far better then in Maryland though - I'd wager. whistling

Sheathing.jpg

We decided to go with sheathing the interior. I'd thought of skinning the interior with my vinyl material to make it less resonate - but - alas - that material is in Maryland. Evidently along with a hundred other things we think of each day. I'd thought I'd brought the major bunch of everything - but hardly an hour passes that something doesn't come up that's still missing here. We're planning to get that stuff soon. And deal with the property there. Oh joy.

This is 5mm (1/4") Luan plywood. This batch was very uniform and the price was decent. It swayed the balance and I decided to use it and get the walls sheathed and shelves up so it can take the intended items which are cluttering up the other shops. Hard to imagine how many "items" there are to this whole set of tooling.

Carts_Boys.jpg

The boys were back for a few days. Nana had them hard at work gathering firewood for roasting marshmallows. winking smiley The carts performed well. thumbs up

Saturday complete ... Sunday arriving. Bring it - bad dude hehehe
January 07, 2013 03:26AM
Got a bunch more done today. I see some buds on here so I'll post this and continue ....

The building had some nice shelving installed. However; the previous owners had air nailed 2 bys onto the studs directly - and then laid on 3/4" plywood shelves. Well - that met the stubs of the supports were back against the exterior sheathing and along side the studs. In the way to insulate. No way to sheath the walls other then to chibble and bit the pcs. around the shelf supports.

Then, the bench was air nailed (and they really ENJOYED using that nailer too) ... nailed to the studs. One couple inch segment had 6 sixteen penny spikes nailed in - and dozens of others to other studs. No way to do a decent job without removing the bench. I couldn't crawl around under it and fit the stuff - cobb job anyway.

So - it all had to come down. Pry and stubber saw cut. Wow - those nails really held - and getting the saw into the slots to cut the nails was difficult. I got it done (Kelly helped) ... and got the wall insulated. Then sheathed. Fitting the window, etc. Nailed it up with my air pinner. Now I can install shelving and put things away. I have to do another wall with it's bench and shelves. Then finish the door. It's a plank door of one inch treated lumber. But it needs the closure boards nailed over the cracks. (Tip - if you ever do this - ONLY nail the strip to ONE side of the crack - on one plank. Let it lap over the other board - but do not nail it. The boards must move as the weather changes. If you nail your strip onto both boards, it will split and rip open as the boards move).

The stuff takes time and effort. It's the base for having a building you can occupy and work in. Coming along well. Can't wait to use all this stuff on the projects.

Pics later. They are "walls". Not something that will get your blood pumping or anything. That's been difficult to keep up any interest here on the forum. The things I'm doing are the basic things any business or home needs to have to function. I'm making work spaces out of a bare sand lot in one case. Fitting out and upgrading a shed in another. Modifying usage in yet other buildings. When things are done - they look like pictures of a workshop. Doing this stuff alone, is really time consuming. Any contractor wants a "Comprehensive Plan" and won't work with things already occupying the spaces. I didn't have unlimited budget and had no place to let all these tools and materials just hover until each space was all ready to use. Funny too - they actually have signs along the road down here ... "Hiring unliscenced contractors is a FELONY". So; you can see if big brother WANTED to find trouble with you they've put the tools in place to do so. I'm not sure where having someone help you for a few bucks becomes a contractor - but don't have any interest in finding out more.

Thankfully, I'm nearly functional now. We'll be heading to Maryland for that nightmare to continue and set into motion the wrap up there. Makes me nearly sick to contemplate. I'm really ready for all of this to be complete. Ready to spend days in the shop on my projects.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2013 03:46AM by barnespneumatic.
January 07, 2013 05:02PM
Hi Gary
I am still shaking my head at the sheer volume of work you have achieved, and your endless energy! WeightsI am spending my Christmas break catching up on projects that are long overdue, as well as some that crop up as I go along. They pale into insignificance compared to your undertaking but have left me with with neither the time nor energy for shooting big bores, something I must remedy, although extreme heat and winds have contributed as well...
So at Maryland you have to to remove the rest of your stuff and get the sale process underway?
Cheers
Neil
January 08, 2013 04:57AM
Gary,

I find the shop build pictures interesting. My psychiatrist says he does too, but I think he is just humoring me.confused smiley

Lon
Anonymous User
January 08, 2013 11:51AM
I am interested to see the first BPS creation!!!!
January 08, 2013 11:08PM
Wow when you get done with that Range Shack I think you'll have to call it the BPS ,pb launch lab for research and development !!! That ain't going to be a Shack when u git done . Looooking Good

Thanks
Kurt
January 09, 2013 04:20AM
Too bad you can't put off the MD trip until spring. All the other snowbirds stay in FL all winter you know...winking smiley
January 09, 2013 05:23AM
Believe me Sean ... it's crossed my mind.

But - I don't want to overtax my "people" up there. Gotta get back and deal with stuff.

Just about to fire the boilers here - sure hate to put that off. But - I've arranged for "peeps" here - so have to do it.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021