Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Range Shop - Current Pics - 75%

Range Shop - Current Pics - 75%
January 09, 2013 06:06AM
We're at about 75% completion on this shop now. Been working straight thru to get it operational.

remove_benches.jpg

Had to strip out all the shelving and benches originally built into the shed. Previous owners had no intention of insulating or sheathing this building - so they just air nailed the heck out of everything. The studs and frame were thus all mixed into the fixtures and the only way to do a clean job was to cut them out. You can't just pry them or beat them out without busting up the studs and fixtures - and loosening the screws holding the metal exterior sheathing. These nails really hold - especially when used in multiples. Only way to do it is to pry loose just enough to get a metal cutting stubber saw blade in the cracks, and cut the dozens of nails. The benches and shelves were recycled - some replaced - some moved. This shows a section of the building not shown before.

wiring.jpg

While things were open - I needed to upgrade the wiring. I added lines. Made prep for more circuits, lights, and exterior lighting. This stuff takes time to drill, thread, pull wires thru the frame, and staple wires while fitting boxes.

wiring2.jpg

Farther along now. Dusk to Dawn circuit hooked up. Back porch circuit run but not hooked up. 220V for the North side installed - not hooked. 110V for the North wall run and not hooked up.

dusk_dawn.jpg

We added another dusk to dawn light. I love these. It adds to the security preperations - and makes a nice atmosphere for evening working. visibility around the buildings is now great at all hours.

tools.jpg

A few of the tools needed. The Bauer Compressor is for the HP air tanks - so that's just sitting there - but the other stuff is just PART of the many tools we've used on the building. And, quite a few operations require to be done in other shops and moved into here - so many more tools are used in those shops.

sheathing.jpg

This is the new sheathing that has gone over the studs, wiring, and insulation. I also coated it to prevent it from becoming all grimy. These will be my last shops. I've worked with messes and make-do's for decades. These shops are not fancy or magazine shops - but I'm making a bit more effort to have them livable.

shelves.jpg

I like the white wire shelving. I developed a method of "lacing" and thus suspending it; without using the intrusive brackets they sell. It doesn't visually close the room as much, or block the light as other types of shelving. Also doesn't collect dust.

Ravens_win.jpg

Kelly was pretty pleased with the Raven's Win Saturday night against the Colts. She helped me all day and throughout most of the evening game. I finally convinced her to go watch the WIN after hours of texts coming in about how good the game was turning out. She came back sporting one of her Ravens shirts to celebrate. thumbs up winking smiley

photo_Wall.jpg

I'm reserving this wall space as a picture backdrop to photograph rifles. Being there by the shooting bench, during final testing - It will be located correctly for taking pics. I won't require an additional set up, and it's staging.

You wouldn't think a small building could absorb so much preparation and coin. But it does. I'll cast, trim and size slugs. I'll store molds, dies, and the tooling and presses for those operations. I'll fill HP tanks and store them. Store regulators, lines, and hardware for them. I'll shoot, chronograph, and photograph. It will be a busy building and very important to the success of completion and testing.

Hope you enjoy reading along.

take a bow
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 06:29AM by barnespneumatic.
January 09, 2013 02:45PM
Gary,

Interesting. I didn't think of all the different operations you intend to perform in that building. I thought it would just be an indoor shooting position.

It looks great. You are going to be a really interesting fellow when this all comes online.Green bowing

Lon
January 09, 2013 05:10PM
Hi Lon,
I got a call from the Dos Equis people. They are thinking of making a spokesperson change. winking smiley
January 10, 2013 01:31AM
I can hear it now . . . "Gary Barnes is so interesting, sharks have a week about him." rolling happy smiley

-- Jim
January 10, 2013 04:02PM
"Stay thirsty my friend." smileys with beer
January 09, 2013 03:08PM
It is amazing all the projects you are working on! Like someone mentioned in another thread, wondering how you have the energy to do this all? Guess when its something you hopefully enjoy, takes some of the "work" out of it?

Best of health, waiting to see it all come together rolling happy smiley!

Pedro
January 09, 2013 04:55PM
I mentioned to Kelly that several people had commented on my energy level. We both smiled. She said - you have "Stamina".

If I quit when I felt bad. If I stopped when I was achy. If I laid down when I had a headache - I wouldn't get anything done.

I just know a lot of people are waiting for the work from these shops. That's the drive.

I do enjoy seeing it come together. But I mainly have to see it on the forum here, with you; to recognize the progress. From ground level, it's pretty tiring. winking smiley

Thank you for following our little saga. We greatly appreciate your friendship. Pipe smoker

Gary
January 09, 2013 03:40PM
Hi Gary,

I'm glad to see that you have this building almost completed. I wish you good luck using this building and a bunch of good experiences to come out of it.

Gary's private range... Wow! I'll bet that looking back in time, one year ago, no one thought that this could be possible . Good for you!!!thumbs up

Julio
January 10, 2013 12:50AM
It normally would be Impossible for any 1 to 2 people to accomplish what you have in such a short time. Say Hello 'Superman'!
If Only our Govt. Officials would Feel the Pressure to GET IT DONE like you have.....take a bow
January 10, 2013 11:25PM
What a great shooting shop, everything but wheels! So, a couple racks or antlers to hold guns on the photo wall?
January 11, 2013 12:52AM
That's it Jerry. Gonna use a couple of Misquito Racks mounted on the wall. Should hold anything. winking smiley

Back to it. Got all the interior sheathing fitted and up. Supposed to paint the platform tonight. Yippie.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021