Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Recently ... Pictorial

Recently ... Pictorial
January 14, 2013 04:51AM
We decided to bug out for a few hours yesterday (Saturday). We headed down to the coast for a lunch and a walk.

beach2.jpg

Beautiful. And had the coast to ourselves - nearly. I need to do this more. Usually, by the time I drag my buttstock down there - I'm beat - my back is killing me - I've been having headaches - and my nerves are shot. Fortunately; this helps - even seeing the pics now - when I feel better then when I was actually there!

(Hey Jerry - there's nothing down here that compares to January in Maryland - heheh)

BeachSky.jpg

We were there about an hour before Sunset. There was a huge amount of moisture in the air. And ... other things in the air too!

Beach.jpg

There were a couple of these guys gliding around. It looked magical. I'm not certain - are they called motorized Parasails?

Parasail.jpg

They'd glide by - come down and drag a foot at the surf's edge along the sand - then swoop back up and turn.

As you can see by the pics ... we were'nt bothered with tourists. winking smiley Just us natives ....

Fishy.jpg

Oh ... we found this little number - dead - on the beach up near the sea grass. Now THAT is a serious set of choppers! And we worry about the sharks! Whoooh!! stunned

yer_dead_fish.jpg

This guy was about a foot long. Real tall - sort of ... fish shaped ... eye rolling smiley

Kitty_Door.jpg

And then ... we were back. And the elves hadn't done a thing all day. The doors on the Range Building were designed for a barn/shed. They needed upgrading. The hinges had the lag bolt heads on the outside - and the hinge barrels sported loose pins. Might as well hang out the "Welcome" sign. So; I sourced other hinges. Rehung the doors. Changed the stop moldings. Also added the proper "Z" braces to the plank construction doors (outside in this case). And I will overhaul the latch/lock system. Also ... the "kitty door" had to go.

ByeByeKitty.jpg

I fitted another section of stock like the door planking itself. Inch thick treated.

NoKitty.jpg

And "Just said NO!" to kitty.

It's been a busy week. Days like today - with the jobs worked on - you'd need a knowledgable tour guide to point out changes - for anyone to recognize that a hard day's work was spent. Unfortunately - it's time to start another. I simply cannot WAIT to spend the days in the shops on our projects. I have ideas stacking up, I'm ready for machine tools, and I'm sick of working on the deck and over my head. Construction and re-construction is done 99.9% down on the deck - or up over your head.

Thanks for reading. Comments are always enjoyed.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 05:32AM by barnespneumatic.
January 14, 2013 05:26AM
Don't you think I've forgotten florida!

I hadn't thought of it 'till now but where will they kitty eat?
January 14, 2013 05:43AM
Ah - the Cat! Miserible animal. winking smiley I've moved the bowl a few times. If it's ANYWHERE near where we traverse - the darned thing spends the day "leading" us to the bowl - crossing our path - tripping us - yawllling. So; I've moved it to a more isolated spot. I'm thinking of Southern Maryland ... whistling
I have actually succeeded in "training" the beast by way of refusing food until it shuts up!!!!! And threatening it with "the look" if I see it, seeing me, seeing it, when I'm going anywhere near where it eats. Kelly's been amazed that I actually get it to stay where it is (for as long as it chooses to ....). The thing will also hide - out of sight - and just announce it's presence with the most low volume meow - just to be sure you've heard it - but don't know where it comes from. I've found that at times - it loves it when I turn on the garden hose and soak it good. whistling We play "boot scoot kitty" when it crosses my path in an attempt to alter my intended path to a more desirable track - such as toward it's bowl.
About the only time I like the thing, is late at night - after I've closed up - and I find it laying outside the door - maybe 8-10 feet away. And it's just waiting for me. Doesn't seem to want anything then. At that time - it's acting more like a dog. winking smiley
January 14, 2013 03:06PM
Gary,

Nothing better than a dog that chases cats. doggie

Lon
January 14, 2013 05:32PM
Put in some owl boxes. The cat issue will fix itself. winking smiley
January 14, 2013 06:23PM
Gary that is 1 crazy looking fish that you found on the shore .I would have to think that it is either a triggerfish are a sheepshead.Both are saltwater fish .when I was younger I used to have a lot of fishtanks with piranha fish .Those had pointy teeth but they're close cousin the pacu had teeth just like those only those are freshwater fish .A great stress reliever walking on the beach because you can never tell what will wash up on shore !Thanks for Sharing your walk.I I have never been a big fan of the cats but the cats eat mice that the snake would eat so be careful what you wish for

Thanks
Kurt
January 15, 2013 03:42AM
Hi Kurt,
That's why the cat is here. It actually came strolling by with a snake once. It eats mice and we've seen it eat lizards. Oh, I'm fond of it but they are quite pushy animals. Always seem to be training me or scolding me. Guess cats are a lot like ex-wives. surprised. Did I say that outloud?
winking smiley
January 16, 2013 02:41AM
Looks like a nice day at the beach! Glad you got to enjoy some of this nice weather before the cold snap.

Not a fan of the cats. I don't let them run on the property due to the damage they do to the wildlife. I'd rather let the snakes, fox, bobcats, and raptors get the mice.

I'm sure it will be no time before the chips start flying again,

Kent
January 16, 2013 02:50AM
Thanks Kent,

I must take that as a firm offer on my Maryland home. And, let me say - I appreciate it too. I really, really want to get the chips flying in the shop. whistling

I think, in the interest of getting me back to work ... there should be a "Pool" started on the forum here. Wouldn't take much to toss in enough to get me out of Maryland for good! What an idea .... nowthatIthink

Shops are just about functional. To the point where I could fight through the start up anyway. It's Maryland that's the strangle hold now. Can't toss the equity there. The remaining things that need finishing up there are the type that need a knurly old 58 year old craftsman to complete. Not a hot shot crew of 25 year olds in chrome trucks which blow in and put up rainspouting when I need a basement winding staircase rebuilt. Etc.

I'm only doing the absolute minimal of things that would just tank the value if not corrected. Wish me speed and skill.

Gary
January 16, 2013 06:11PM
I'm wishing you a safe drive up and back. I just returned from a trip down to Texas and it reminded me that you folks down south all drive like maniacs.google eyes
January 16, 2013 07:43PM
We are products of our environments Sean! Maddness all around .... Has to rub off. winking smiley

Thks. Can't WAIT to get this over with. If I had a bull dozer like Kent, I'd push it all in a hole up there. But then, I'd have to dig the hole first so there's no winning. why me
January 22, 2013 06:05AM
Nah...take too long. Probably need half a hundred permits for that. Those old houses are half hazmat anyway...surprised
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021