Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: When?

When?
January 21, 2013 04:08AM
I've continued to put things away. Continued to build in areas to collect tools by the machines that use them. It takes way more time then you'd suspect. Not very rewarding work. You look at what took a day or two - and it doesn't seem like much progress.

I've tried to run a few projects. It's not long before something is missing in the chain of tools needed. It will get there. But it's a grind to get it right. It's only through working with the tools, in their new locations, with their service items in new locations ... that you find what is missing ... what is awkward ... what works.

I'm dying to get into the projects and sort out the kinks. But there are still air lines to run ... dust tubes to run ... items to store. If you'd look at a couple of the shops - you'd think they were pretty complete. It's been huge. It's not the Great Wall of China or Cold Fussion ... but for Myself, Kelly and some occasional volunteer help - it's been a job that should have had a crew of ten men. Of course - they would not have taken this long. But they WOULD have taken most of my money and they would NOT have accepted working with the conditions the job required. Such as working in spaces which were already full of stuff. Waiting for one thing, or another; to be built or modified before proceeding. Moving things from here to there and back again ... and again. Changing the parts which identified themselves as less then perfect ideas - requiring back tracking. I hate back tracking.

Well, now we've got 89 out of 100 things in place. yeah. In reality - you can't produce much more with 89/100 then you could with 14/100. If it's not complete - it's not complete. It doesn't work.

And so - it's back up the road for the rest. Our pact is to make this the last trip. I sure hope so. Yeah ... I was a bit more "fresh" earlier in the process. So; heading back to Maryland's cold isn't high on my bucket list. I hope you hang in there while we grind thru the rest of this Odyssey. The island of the Cyclop is coming up - you won't want to miss that! I know I'm looking forward to it. crazy Once we get some papers signed - we will beat it back down here. Ah - lawyers and realtors ... just like peanut butter and chocolate! Can't wait.

Well, there we are. We've hurried up, and now we have to wait (or rather liquidate what we can't use). But we've dragged you along through the whole process. You've known what's up. What our intentions have been. What we've accomplished. What's next. And, you've seen the efforts to get it all complete.

Hey - we have strawberry blossoms in our garden here. We have blossoms on the woods flowers here now. Bummer of a time to leave. Maybe we can make a quick return.

OK - that's it for tonight. Keep a good thought.
Gary
Anonymous User
January 21, 2013 05:24PM
It is the special made tool that has just the right angle and the correct clearance and high speed steel or carbide that is missing. Making a new one is a issue and time consuming only to find the cutting tool the next day. It is VERY rewarding to have such a beautiful place to create your imagination. Peaceful serene and all the room you need with no STAIR climbing and no neighbor to complain and not to mention. A shooting range on your property!!!!!!! In my humble opinion this is nothing but a positive change with a better outcome.
January 21, 2013 05:40PM
Thanks Don,
The people are so courteous - everywhere. Honestly, the only place you run into rude people is if you drive 30 miles go the coast and you run into tourists ... From Maryland ill bet!!! Haha.
We really like it here. I do feel better here. Not all brand new by any stretch - but improved. And when I stop the death march pace and can work in the shop; I think I'll be in a much better frame of mind. Honestly, my mind is going off in all directions with things I want to do and can't. There are the remaining loose ends to deal with. And, while I've learned to do quite a few things, I now have to source OTHER people to finish this. Auction people, Realtors, etc. So lining that up always makes me more jumpy. Gee, could it be based upon past experiences?? stunned. Nah ...
Thks for reading Don. I haven't forgotten your gun. winking smiley
Gary
January 21, 2013 07:55PM
It'll be nice to have the remaining 10% down south where you can work with it. And as they say in the aircraft world, the last 10% of the project is 90% of the work. I suspect that's probably true of many things.

Good luck with the road trip, and as 'the cable guy' would say..."git-er-done" grinning smiley
January 21, 2013 11:08PM
Thanks Sean,
Yeah - as I do some required projects - I run into some snag every twenty minutes max. Something that just isn't ready to do the degree of work I'm attempting. That will sort itself out over the next couple of years, I'm sure. Does show me that I was pretty effecient - if very crowded - in the shop I'd used for 33 years. Or else - I just knew where things were. winking smiley
Gary
January 22, 2013 01:13AM
Have a safe and rewarding trip. It sure sounds like you and Kelli have found your home amoung the good folks in the panhandle. Most importantly you both have recognized it and adapted to the culture bringing your best and bringing out the best of those around you, congrats.

Kent
January 22, 2013 06:02AM
"Or else - I just knew where things were." Give yourself a gold star, you got it on the first try!

I know exactly where most of my tools are...in the garage of the house that I don't live in, only five hours away by ferryboat. Drives me crazy, sometimes I spend so long hunting down a tool or a part that I forget what I was going to fix in the first place, or get distracted by something else that I discovered needs fixing too.

That might not be entirely the fault of the garage though...eye rolling smiley Uh...what were we talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021