Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Neat Idea - Gun Safe

Neat Idea - Gun Safe
January 23, 2013 12:51PM
I was perusing Pinterest the other day and found this pic. Not a bad idea, refurbishing an old fridge to be used as a safe and storage. Just add a locking mechanism I suppose to make it legally secure (at least in Canada).

Gun_fridge.JPG

Hope everyone is staying warm up north. We have had our first real "deep freeze" in Manitoba this winter. Windchill has been -41 C almost all week. The cold really tests the vehicles!

Pedro
January 23, 2013 02:43PM
Ok, that's chilly! Hey please explain .... When I went to convert -41C to F, three sites and methods gave me -41.8F. stunned. Ok, I know the C scale is based upon the freezing point of water - which they label O degrees C (which is 32 F) and the boiling point of water which is labeled as 100 C (212 F). And the C scale is then divided by 100 to be metric. But is seems a bit jacked up to have the scales 112 degrees apart at water's boiling point and then only 32 apart at water's freezing point. So I've answered my question ... They are converging and by -41c they are essentially the same number. Odd. Would not have expected that.
You guys should just use the F scale ... (As GOD intended .... ) hahaha. laughing

Gary
January 24, 2013 01:19PM
Hi Gary,

Why do we need to change? Canada, along with the rest of the world changed to metric in the 60's, 70's, the USA is just lagging behind, lol

(from Wikipedia)
According to an article Fahrenheit wrote in 1756, he based his scale on three reference points of temperature. In his initial scale (which is not the final Fahrenheit scale), the zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in brine: he used a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride, a salt, at a 1:1:1 ratio. This is a frigorific mixture which stabilizes its temperature automatically: that stable temperature was defined as 0 °F (−17.78 °C). The second point, at 32 degrees, was a mixture of ice and water without the ammonium chloride at a 1:1 ratio. The third point, 96 degrees, was approximately the human body temperature, then called "blood-heat"

Lets blame the physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit. If only he had done it correctly then we would all be using celsius, haha!

Pedro
January 23, 2013 07:49PM
Hey Pedro, nice fridge lockbox. Can't exactly call it a safe, but it's sure better than a wooden gun cabinet. Up here where everyone has an extra freezer out in the garage anyway for game meat and fish, people would never expect it to hold anything else. In fact, I knew one guy who had a gutted upright freezer that he dropped around the outside of his regular gunsafe just to make it less conspicuous.

And yes Gary, it's true, at negative 40 degrees F and degrees C are the same. I guess the lines had to cross at SOME point on the graph.

Now, I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or not but I've seen both negative 40's on the temp readout of my Dodge while driving to Whitehorse (in the Yukon territory). Some friends of mine that borrowed it for a road trip up to Fairbanks a few winters ago said it drove fine at negative 60F, though they got a bit nervous about the drive back since the diesel pumps at the gas stations in Tok had frozen up. Good thing it has a big tank, it'll go about 600 miles on a fillup, gets about 20-21 mpg on the road with the Cummins engine. Their only complaint is that the tires took a long time to quiet down. They take a "set" at those kinds of low temps when they're parked, and can ride quite rough until road friction heats them up to the point where they can round out the flat spots again. Most people either get a vinyl radiator cover or just put a big piece of cardboard to block most of the airflow when it get that cold, and the diesel engine in the Dodge recirculates unused fuel from the pump back into the tank to help keep it from gelling. They only sell #1 diesel in the winter up here since #2 doesn't work too well. The real problem is getting them started, and everyone has block heaters that they plug in overnight. The lowest I've started it without preheat is minus 27F, but it sure wasn't happy about it.

Nice not to have to deal with that down in coconut country, isn't it?sunny
January 23, 2013 08:05PM
Well guys - I'm wearing a tee shirt today. And dreading the trip to Md. like a good mugging. It's 11 degrees in New Windsor today. God forsaken place. Yuck. self-hammer

Working with the tools today at BPS. Feels good. I evidently have not forgotten "everything". Yeah.

Back to it.

Gary
January 24, 2013 01:34PM
Rotorhead,

I cannot imagine the temperatures up there! I am just 1/2hr from the North Dakota border, so not nearly that far north! Even here we have to plug in our vehicles and it sure is hard on mechanical parts. Many cars were not starting this week as people learn to winterize their automobiles or plug them in!

At least your truck worked well, hate to be stranded anywhere in those temps. We were discussing newer vehicles at work, it almost seems that the older vehicles handled extreme cold better, probably due to no computer controling anything. My dad had a 1969 Ford truck with a 360. It could be the coldest day in winter, jump in, pump the pedal twice, pull out the choke, and fire it up. If the battery was good, would always start.

Funny story - many years ago when I was about 11 or 12, my parents & us boys drove down to Mexico to visit. We get to New Mexico and stopped for gas. The fellow filling our Dodge van looked over and remarked about the 110 volt cord hanging from the hood. He asked what the cord was for, cannot remember who said it, but someone said, "oh it's an electric van". Poor guy looked a litte puzzled holding the nozzle filling the gas tank of the van.

Cardboard fronts, and rad covers are fairly common sight here. But apparently the newer vehicles do not need them according to mechanics I have talked with when my Taurus wasn't heating in the extreme cold. After replacing thermostates and paying my bill, no improvment. Turned out to be a clogged heater core which I had to clean out. Then it heated!!!

Stay warm!

Pedro
January 23, 2013 08:23PM
Darn that's cold! We've had a cold snap here and it was 10 F this morning when I went out to the car, at least the wind was blowing... I felt pretty bummed until I read this thread!

I don't think I'd trust my truck to start at -27, I've never had to start it below 0 but it didn't like it and it's older now. I thought when it got deep in the negatives you guys just kept them running.
January 25, 2013 03:28AM
So this is where we defenders of the Second Amendment will have to hide our guns from the Fienstiens of the world. I hope everyone here is writting their Senators and Congressmen to protest the upcoming gun grab. Remember they won't stop with assault weapons, when they are done the most you'll have is a 7ft/lbs BB gun locked up at the range for safe keeping. Ask someone across the pond how it will happen.

Don't fear the loss of you deer rifle, rather fight for your God given right to overthrow the tyrannts before your hands are bound.

Kent

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
January 26, 2013 06:58PM
Make no mistake, this is but one aspect of a persistent war of culture that is taking place as we speak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021