Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Where Are They Now ... 2 .... Many more Pics!

Where Are They Now ... 2 .... I think some missed the links (now at the top of the page).
March 15, 2009 05:29PM
Here are the links ... Hope you enjoy the pics!!

[www.glbarnes.com] and there's some new stuff on the first page too ... [www.glbarnes.com]

take a bow coffee

I decided to go thru some print pictures last night. I pulled out 27 or them ... we scanned them, e-mailed them to my office ... and I've been processing them this morning.

Hope you enjoy them. There'll be quite a few more guns, and a few pocketknives too - all from the past!

Here's a start. I'll make up another webpage to show them ... link here when it's done. Stuff like this ...

A_FT20caliber.jpg

Very, very early FT gun. This one in 20 caliber. This one has quite a story, including a "resale story" from several years ago.

A-FoldingDaggerMosaicDamascus.jpg

One of my Mosaic Folding Daggers in High Contrast Damascus steel.

Much, much more as I get the pages made.

Gary

Here are the links ... Hope you enjoy the pics!!

[www.glbarnes.com] and there's some new stuff on the first page too ... [www.glbarnes.com]

take a bow coffee

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2009 01:47PM by barnespneumatic.
A_Outside_lock.jpg
March 15, 2009 07:52PM
Gary,

Here's one of my favorites I saw on the net. Dory
Damascus_Automatic_1.jpg
March 17, 2009 07:10PM
Hi Dory,

That's an acid etched steel frame, Inlaid fossil walrus tusk scales, and a mosaic damascus blade. Nice pc. From 1995. I won "Best in Show" at Rhode Island, for that one, and "Best Folder" for it's sister pc.

Gary
March 15, 2009 08:02PM
I put the links in now. They're in the post above. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Gary
March 15, 2009 11:38PM
Wow! That's a lot of beautiful work represented there. It's such a pity that it's not getting used or at least nothing has been reported. I wonder if some folks are casting slugs and using the guns but just don't want to say anything about it...not even in an email.
March 16, 2009 01:34AM
Well, they're getting seen and enjoyed by a few ... in this post. Alot of people tell me they enjoy the pics. That's good.

I don't know about your question. I can't see why they'd wish to keep me from knowing they were enjoying my own work. Who knows. I guess it never occurs to most people. Seems obvious to me. However; the Chef, Actor, Rock Star, Athelete, Comedian, even the Trapeze artist ..... all get a completely different feedback than the artist. (Unless you have a great agent, blue hair, and wear a cape). hahaha. That's it! I'm too plain.

laughing again

Gary
March 16, 2009 01:36AM
Gary,

That's some fine metal work. I looked through the photos and I know which outside lock is which. The one at the top you made, the bottom one is the old one. Its was easy to tell, look at the screw heads.

Keith

BTW - can you add dates to the photos?
March 16, 2009 01:43AM
Maybe ... just FYI ... about 7 out of 10 people usually guess wrong. winking smiley

I could guess on photos dates. I'd have to think about them. That post was literally six hours of work last night and today. Maybe later.

Real glad you liked them Keith,

Gary
March 16, 2009 03:38AM
Thanks for the great body of work, oh and for the post too!!! It's amazing to me how so many different styles and types of airguns could be from one maker. How am I going to keep a lookout for all those.

I think everyone here needs to help out by letting us in on finds or new purchases that my be of interest to the group. Of course, only after you have it in the bag or passed on the item.

Looky here! [www.pyramydair.com]

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2009 04:24AM by Cajun Justice.
March 16, 2009 04:56PM
Hi Kent,

I just read the article and a few of the comments below that. Someone made the comment (regarding the antique lock) about it being amazing that craftsmen "USED TO" make things without Cad Cam design programs, without CNC mills and lathes, etc. whistling I'm still laughing. hahhhahahahahh.

rolling happy smiley

(if the humor fails to connect ... my entire shop is made up of a bunch of simple manual feed machine tools, and I design everything with a pencil). I do have electricity though! eye popping smiley coffee
March 16, 2009 06:06PM
Yes, it is remarkable how many folks pine for the days when things were made without CNC mills and CAD/CAM devices. The idea that some folks can get by without the latest in technology plumb evades them. Now, most of those folks couldn't recognize a CAD/CAM bit of software if it got tossed in their lap but yet they ponder the good old days when someone else made things a different way...

Personally, I'm delighted that most of the stuff we consume and most of the durable goods we buy are made with the latest in technology and using efficient processes. That tends to make them cheaper leaving more money for stuff like custom airguns!
March 17, 2009 07:01PM
Kent,

If you want anymore of Gary's knives their are still some for sale at Nordic knives. I think that's where you got one of yours. Dory
March 16, 2009 06:32AM
Yes, there's some real nice work there Gary. Now I think I'm in love with the 45 Scout. Sigh.confused
March 17, 2009 09:58AM
Sorry Neil . . . she's taken. cooler

scout.jpg

-- Jim
March 17, 2009 06:24PM
Jim,
You need a new picture now that the Scout is a slide breech gun! smiling smiley
March 17, 2009 06:51PM
Jerry,

Don't forget ... those barrels just screw in. He has a smooth bore stashed too, that came with the orig. gun. He can change them out in a few minutes. The man has a "NOSE" for finding stuff. thumbs up hehe.

Gary
March 17, 2009 06:59PM
Well, I'm in no position to talk about anyones nose! lipsaresealed
March 17, 2009 07:05PM
laughing again .........

thumbs up coffee
March 18, 2009 07:06PM
Now Jim, that's not fair, flaunting it like thatcrying
A couple of questions, do you shoot Raptors through it, does it have a small air reservoir or is there air in the stock, and what sort of fpe/fps are you getting? OK, so that's 3 questions...nerd
March 18, 2009 07:19PM
Hi Neil:

Yeah, I can shoot Raptors and Shrikes (Gary's pointed slugs at ~235 gr.) in the Scout, and they're very accurate, but probably a tad heavy for the rifle. It likes .454 roundball best, and I get around 700 fps for just under 150 fpe. Probably 180 fpe with the Raptors . . . would have to look it up.

The Scout has a small reservoir in the stock. It's good for two full power shots, and then will dump the reservoir on the third. You can see that the barrel is pretty short -- just a tad over carbine length. It's very lightweight and primarily an offhand rifle. I believe Gary designed it as a 50 yard light hunter (originally a muzzleloader). It was a huge hit on the woods walk at the Mississippi shoot back in the fall because it's so light and easy to cock. Even the kids were using it! I've got a 3-9x Leupold AO mil-dot mounted on it with very easy eye relief . . . very fun.

It's an absolute joy to clip on a line and go through a few boxes of roundball. I nailed a steel groundhog at 143 yards while seated, off my knee . . . and it went down. thumbs up

-- Jim
March 18, 2009 07:37PM
Thanks Jim, that's impressive!
March 18, 2009 09:42PM
Isn't that just how it goes? A guy buys a 50 yard light hunter and next thing you know, he's knocking down steel targets at 143 yards! Brother! I can't even SEE 143 yards without a 30 power scope these days!
March 16, 2009 07:33PM
The main reason for posting the link was for the additional views of the gun and lock as well as the expression of appreciation for the maker. I would not waste any time on the remainder of the thread as it quickly gets off topic and less than informative.

I'll continue my vigil for siteings of Barnes work.

Kent
March 16, 2009 08:07PM
I knew that ... and the article was fine. Pics good. And, I didn't mean to sound too scoffing at the guy mentioning CNC ... that's the way we see things being made on TV ... I was just laughing at the perception that my shop is right up there with the NASA guys. hehe.

Barnes guns? Saw one just this morning!!! There goes another!!! hahaha.

Gary
March 16, 2009 09:16PM
Well Gary, your shop may be ahead of many shops with the latest in technology. I'm currently dealing with the repercussions of an extraordinarily simple part that has been designed on the latest 3D gear (3 times now) and still remains um, ah, er...unacceptable. This part is the top part of a scope mount! A little piece of plastic that holds a tube in place. Granted it was designed to be as light as possible but after three tries with the full run of high tech gear (the 3D design graphics are awesome!) the part is still way too fragile. You could have made a hundred of these things in aluminum for $250 each (plus another chunk of cash for Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE)) and we would have saved a HUGE chunk of money that still hemorrhages while we deal with the problem. No, I'm not exagerating one bit.
March 16, 2009 10:38PM
Amazing. I've missed my calling ... again. knucklehead

Yeah ... those spinning 3-D graphics sure are fine though. Ohooooowwwwwwhhh!!!!!! laughing again

Gary
Gorgeous stuff Gary, just looking at them lets you know why they are lost. To precious to show to anybody but your most trusted friends for fear of losing them.
Hi Joe,

I guess that's a nice way of looking at it. Thanks.

Gary
I particularly like that folder with the damascus blade (or is it wootz?, what's the difference anyway?). I'm surprised that you can get such deep relief with the acid etching, it looks like engraving.
Its just picture after picture of rifles I want!!

Maybe put a big notice up on your Website stating that due to the current economic climate, all Barnes guns are due a free servive and check-over (shipping not included!)
Wonder how many would come out the woodwork??!!.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021