Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: ORION .... FINISHED CARVING pics

ORION .... FINISHED CARVING pics
January 29, 2013 02:50AM
ORION_3.jpg

The carving of Orion is complete. I'll clean and apply finish now.

Different light angles create different emotions. Of course - the figure cannot be fully 3 dimensional. Therefore; illusion and perspective are employed to create the impression of a solid sculpture. The key is to know how to create the illusions, and then cleanly remove the material to unspoken proportions that everybody recognize - but could not quote. What subtle relationships and features trigger a recognition in the viewer's mind - and make this a super hero sort of figure? Then, once a feature has been recognized and chosen ... the craftsman must learn how to carve an actual distorted topography which "suggests" the actual topography to the viewer's eye. Meaning - faces have vastly more depth to them then you can carve. If you do so realistically, then you have a "bust" - and not a carving. You see? So; there are techniques which make the eye preceive depth, and techniques which suggest action and tension.

I've left one pic sideways, because you can often appreciate detail more if the image isn't immediately competing for your attention.

ORION_1.jpg

Orion_closeup.jpg

Detail.jpg

Orion_thumb.jpg

CarvingDetailWeb.jpg

The scroll work will now be completed and the whole project finished in stock oil.

For eight months, I've been working with a pen, phone, power winch, chains, carts, trailers, tractors .... and now ... I've finally gotten back to my real world. It was a brief visit. I have to complete the move. However; this is a teaser of things to come. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 05:29AM by barnespneumatic.
January 29, 2013 03:30PM
Common Gary!!! Is that a Damascus steel dagger? The beauty it's in the details.

Congratulations to the owner of this magnificent rifle. I had the opportunity to hold it and when you shoulder it, the rifle just feels right. Hope that you enjoy it.

Julio
January 30, 2013 03:54AM
Hello Julio,
Yes it certainly is a Damascus steel Dagger. Nothing but the best for Orion and from an ABS Master Bladesmith! USA!  USA!
Thank you my friend
Gary
January 29, 2013 05:26PM
Absolutely stunning. Thanks for all of your hard work.
Estes
January 30, 2013 03:48AM
Hello Estes,
You are most welcome. I have enjoyed the opportunity. I'm glad I haven't forgotten everything. winking smiley
We will all enjoy anything you care to share by way of posts and pics. Welcome to Rendezvous!
Gary
January 29, 2013 08:29PM
super
January 29, 2013 10:01PM
Love it!
January 30, 2013 03:52AM
Hi Jerry,
Thank you. And I sincerely appreciate the help you gave with packing, hauling, and unloading. BTW you never reassembled the power hammer ...
thumbs up
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 03:56AM by barnespneumatic.
January 30, 2013 12:42AM
You are... I mean....HE is ripped!!!! Gorgeous detail and theme. That's a real beaut of a beast.Get crackin'

Kent
January 30, 2013 03:45AM
Hi Kent,
Hey ... You fight Lions out in the stars and you'll look like ... I mean ... not that you ... ah nutz. winking smiley
Yeah - he's ripped.
Glad you like it. Hey, my arm feels like his looks after that marathon carving week. You know any good Drs.? Hehe. Maybe a drive to Maryland willl work it out . winking smiley
Thanks for your comments Kent. Thank you, sincerely; for the tremendous help with the move by way of packing, hauling, and unloading. It has been very much appreciated. thumbs up
Gary
January 30, 2013 12:48AM
Very nice. I look forward to seeing the completed rifle.
January 30, 2013 03:59AM
Boy ... me too!!! Phewwwwwww winking smiley Gotta put the next coat of oil on the stock ...
January 30, 2013 06:17PM
Gary, great to see you back into it! A fine piece of work, did you model those bulging biceps off your own? winking smiley
Cheers
Neil
January 30, 2013 06:27PM
Hi Neil,

Yeah - it's hard to carve while looking in a mirror ... that's why he has the dagger in his left hand (mirror reversal). hahah. That and a hat tip to the fact that about 75% of my customers are left handed.

My arm does indeed "feel" like that today. hahah. Pretty blown out. Note to self - you are not a machine ... hummmm. Weights But - it's a good hurt. Better then hurting from lifting boxes and pushing stuff around. It will pass.

Good to hear from you.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021