Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Wow!

Wow!
March 05, 2013 12:19AM
Just logged in and no new topics or posts listed in red. I guess that means that Gary is on the road as nobody else (including me) has an initial post on the first page.

Maybe, somebody here has shot something or done something with an airgun, such that Gary could contemplate a reply to a post whilst cruising South?

Here's my entry: My stepmom just called to say that my dad had to use an airgun to shoot a racoon that decided to move into the outside cat's bed. This cat bed is no more than 14 inches from the window that is next to the backdoor to the house. Apparently the 'coon decided it would move in and no amount of activity near the door bothered it. A couple awkward shots later and the "coon ambled off to die. It's very hard to get a decent shot at a critter 14 inches from the door when being reminded that it might be rabid and about to pounce through the open door....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 01:11AM by Jerry.
March 05, 2013 04:17AM
Hello Jerry,

Thanks for the post. They have indeed been a bit thin of late.

I am on the road. It's been quite a day. I hardly know wether to just blurt out a list of crummy luck today ... Or perhaps do it with an understated sarcasm. Perhaps the latter. smiling smiley

The day had been ... "A disappointment". It started with a really lousy headache. We stopped for a late lunch and so that my head might explode when I wasn't driving. I noted that a new book tape was available today. You know, after lunch I felt better. Started listening to my CD book. I think I hear a horn honk. Looked over and some guy is motioning towards the back of my rig. Great. I pull off the road. Flat tire. Same corner!!!!!!!

I get out all the jacks, tools, spare tire. This spare was one I'd plugged and filled. It was full. Looked good. I put it on (you realize I'm letting out dozens of details). I figure I'm ahead of the game this time. I have loaded my big shop compressor. It had a good charge of air. I have a hose and air chuck. I top off the spare and figure I should check this flat. I find the puncture. Of course - my tire plug kit is lost on the trailer of stuff. I move out. Find a Walmart. Get a plug kit. Try to get a new wheel and tire but the car care center is busy - and seems disorganized. I hear the lady behind the counter tell two customers in front of me, saying with rolled eyes ... that its going to be a WHILE! We left.

I plugged the tire and filled it for a spare. Thinking that some day flats should not be part of each trip. Well, we move out. I stop and check the spare on the trailer. Seems fine. Up the road a bit ... I check it again at a rest stop. 50 psi on the button. I start to relax. I turn the book tape back on. In a few minutes I feel a shake. Feel resistance. Look in the mirror and see smoke! I move to the shoulder. As I slow I see the tire fly off and fade on the shoulder and into the woods.

I get everything out and put on the other tire. Seems fine. Oh, of course the fender I repaired is toast from the tire blowing up. Oh yeah. There was just a ragged inner bead left on the rim. So I put this one on (skipping a few details here). I want to get off the road. No spare and no faith in this one. Of course ... We are on the dark side of the moon. No nothing. I fiiiiiinaly find an exit and get off. Nothing there either. I check in a gas station. They say civilization is 30 miles down the road. There HAD been a sign for lodging here. We go check. It's Bates Motel ... But not nearly as nice. I pass. Check the tire. Looks good. I hope we have 30 miles in the tire.

So; we pulled the trailer into a weigh station ... On the rim. The wheel blew and shredded before I could stop. It's now 8:30 or 9. 95 South. I've hauled tires and jacks and opened the trailer for tools .... Allllll day. The first rim was ruined when the first tire left us. I could see an exit when the second left. It turned out to be a weigh station. I proudly drove on in on the rim. Went and parked. Inquired if I might leave the trailer there and go get a rim. Told them ... "Why yes! I am that famous airgunsmith. We travel in style!"

I unhooked and left the trailer. Maybe some fool will steal it. He'll have to bring a wheel, tools, and a jack. Of course, the trailer is also possessed. So God help him.

So. We are at a hotel ... Somewhere. There is a tire care business a mile from here. The trailer is/was back up 95 about 35 miles. Tomorrow should also be fun. Yeah. And that's our report from the road. What did YOU do today? Hahaaaahh.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 02:11PM by barnespneumatic.
March 05, 2013 06:14PM
Darn, you're moving from one flat per trip to multiple blowouts. Apparently these tires can't handle plugs. I wonder if replacements in the same size are available in a higher weight rating? Sorry that every trip has to be an adventure...
March 05, 2013 06:39PM
Found a place. A BARNES TIRE if you can believe it! The guy even allowed as how life as a Barnes is a real struggle.

I purchased two new Radial trailer tires and new rims. Now have the old one off. Rebuilt the fender and trailer fender well which was all torn up. Got the new tire on. Nearly back to where we stayed last night. Real progress. Hans.

Two of the flats were punctures. All other tires have been fine. So it really couldn't be written off to a weight problem - though I know it's heavy. Still - a nail is a nail. But they sure didn't like a plug. Odd. They were bias tires on it originally. If you can't plug a bias tire ...

Really freaky that all flats have been on the passenger rear tire! Verrrrrrrry wierd. excited

Now, I'm looking forward to a NICE six hour drive home. PLEAAAAAASE.

why me

winking smiley

Gary
March 05, 2013 07:24PM
Good luck!
March 05, 2013 10:05PM
Wow! It seems like you are the owner of: " If it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all"!why me Hope the rest rest of your trip is much kinder to you and Kelly. Just keep on keeping on and it will someday seem like just an adventure."festive"
March 06, 2013 03:35AM
Greetings from BPS.

ALL'S WELL HERE.

The rest of the trip went well. The first 3/4 was pretty much a stunner though. So; this last 1/4 I just sat and stared thru the windshield. Haha. And listened to my book tape. That really melts the miles.

The trailer pulls much better with all wheels on it. winking smiley. You are right Robert. I do often feel like I get more then my share of grief. But I always have something underway, so I guess that let's me open to more complications.

It's great to be home. Everybody did a good job of watching over the place. Everything is just as we left it. Thanks to the crew.

Gary.
March 06, 2013 09:55AM
A true mover and a shaker but mostly a mover !! Glad things are going pretty smooth for you and it looks like you got out just in time for a new snow squall heading towards MD .
March 06, 2013 04:21PM
You made it out just in time is right! Rain is falling sideways through a 40 knot breeze and the temperature is falling.
March 06, 2013 07:25PM
We had lunch in tee shirts. Glorious sunny day. Poor saps that haven't YET left Maryland. whistling

Hahaha. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Gary
March 06, 2013 10:10PM
Gary,

Great to hear you made it home!
T shirts?
We got dumped on 22" of snow in 2 days!
Melting now though but had to clear drive way 3 times!

Still sore, shoveled a lot from the roof as well.

Hope you can return to airguns soon!

Pedro
March 07, 2013 01:49AM
Hi Pedro,

Yeah - it's cool in the evening (medium weight jacket weather) - but tee shirt weather during the day. Glorious. At least I didn't get stuck in a mess up North with a trailer filled.

Hey - I'm dying to get back to the airguns. Can't wait. Now I have a trailer full of stuff to unload and put away - and wire in - and install - and build accessories for. AND ....

Tonight - as I backed out to go to dinner (shrimp nite!) ... I realized the truck was in 4 wheel drive. I used 4 wheel to back the trailer in last night late. Don't remember using it to back the trailer down to the shop after unloading household stuff today.

I reached for the floor shifter - and it just flops forward and back. Feels completely disconnected. I sincerely hope that some mechanical connector (bolt - link pin) just fell out of an exterior joint. If tomorrow I find that the lever and linkage are hooked - and whatever is disconnected is inside .... I'm screwed .... again. I looked around on the ground to see if I could find a pin, etc. Nothing.

We shall see. Yes - I know Jerry. winking smiley But - I they don't fix things until they break. laughing again My immitation of a mystery noise - from somewhere - going VaZZZzzzzzzzzzz............... softly .... didn't bring any inspiration. And ... the fact that I drove it a minimum of 2,500 miles AFTER I first "thought" I noticed the noise ... more confused ... mostly pulling a heavy trailer .... why me Makes it very odd - and makes it "Barnes".

Hey - I have an idea .....back later ....
March 07, 2013 05:32PM
Gary,

Hope your luck changes soon. Seems like one things gives way, is repaired, then somethings else goes. How many more trips do you have to make?

Keith
March 07, 2013 05:47PM
Hello Keith.

Wish I knew. Kelly is boycotting any more trips. Gee - where's her sporting spirit! Haha.

It's the nature of what we are attempting, and have nearly accomplished. winking smiley

Gary
March 07, 2013 05:48PM
Jerry,
I appreciate your post. Sorry I hijacked it.
Glad to see you never left the Yukon62 for your Dad to use!! Haha. Raccoon Pâté. Haha
Gary
March 07, 2013 10:07PM
Yeah, it's a good thing I just left a gamo springer there! It would have been awkward to explain the 'coon paste in a flying cat bed landing in the creek! The slug probably would have gone through everything including an adjacent wall... nope, the gamo was the way to go!
Anonymous User
March 09, 2013 02:13PM
Worked as a manual machinist for only thirteen year's and every shop had a poster on the wall. Murphy's law!!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021