Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The Green Machine arrives...

The Green Machine arrives...
March 12, 2013 07:55AM
This parcel arrived from down South (Roxburgh, New Zealand)..
 photo SAM_7034_zps265075f7.jpg
In it was a box with a deer-antler handle....
 photo SAM_7036_zps7ca56dc1.jpg
In the box was a..... .44 cal pistol
 photo SAM_7038_zps21f66722.jpg
The Green Machine...
 photo SAM_7039_zpse194180c.jpg
 photo SAM_7040_zpsf702710b.jpg
 photo SAM_7044_zpsb6f97230.jpg
5 good shots with 117 grain roundball, or with a quick reversal of the spring/hammer weight, 170 grain hollowpoints at the same POI. Around 610 fps with the HP's, 140 fpe.
Some proof targets came with it
 photo SAM_7045_zps83c86ae6.jpg
Danny produced this beauty for me.
Cheers
Neil
PS Photobucket cut the right hand sides off the photos, not me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 08:03AM by neilmcp.
March 12, 2013 05:00PM
Very nice Neil, and Danny.
What a nice box of goodies.
Inquiring minds will want to know ... What finish produces the green color? It looks very nice. I like it.
Enjoy Neil. Hope to see lots of pictures.
Gary
March 13, 2013 05:48AM
Neil,

Nice gun.

Any idea what the barrel twist rate is?

Lon
March 13, 2013 07:14PM
Hi Garry,Lon and all. Neil must be tied up, I'm sure he won't mind me jumping in here and filling in the gaps. Garry, the green is simply standard anodiseing. I asked the anodisers to keep the parts in the dye for as long as possible to achieve as deeper color as they could get. The reservior and end cap I polished and the reciever and adjuster are burnished using a 3M pot scrub(seems to work).
Lon, the twist is 1in 24''. I got it from track of the wolf just before homeland security cracked down on the export of barrel liners, funny thing though I can still get whole Barrels,(go figure). I wanted a longish pitch so Neil can shoot both RB and slug reasonably accurately which it does at least at 40 yrds, we will no doubt see more longer range targets once Neil has mastered the ''Green Machine''.
Danny.
March 13, 2013 07:44PM
Thanks Gary and Lon, and thanks for answering those questions Danny...I was going to have to ask you about the barrel twist rate anyway as I had forgotten!
March 13, 2013 07:50PM
Now Neil ... SURELY you bookmarked my THOROUGH tutorial about how to measure the twist rate of barrels at home. whistling hahaha
March 13, 2013 07:49PM
Hello Danny,
Interesting. Then, what alloy of alluminum are you using for your pressure reservoir and threaded end cap?
I would expect very good results from the 1/24" twist. Should be good way out so long as the bullets are a good match.
Best,
Gary
March 14, 2013 04:33AM
Hi Garry, I hope all is well with you and your family. The reservior is 6061 T6 and the end cap is 6261 T6. They are both very close in yeld strength and hardness and could be applied around the other way quite happily, the 6261 has a slightly higher ti percentage.
The slugs are hollow point which calculate out perfect for the 24'' pitch but have a reasonable sized effective meplat so are not idealy designed for long range, mind you neather is the gun. As you can see from the proof targets even the balls shoot well at 40 yrds but I suspect they may curve off to the right out further as they are over stableized.Danny.
March 15, 2013 10:53PM
A nice looking gun there. Can't wait to see the adventures of rabbit hunting to come!
March 25, 2013 06:31AM
Thanks Jerry
Soon I need to get this pistol onto some pest species!
Cheers
Neil
March 26, 2013 09:28PM
Looks nice, quite functional!

Should be fun to shoot, hows the recoil?
April 09, 2013 07:52AM
Hi Sean
Sorry for the delayed reply, been doing some projects at home (minor compared to Gary's!). Recoil is very acceptable. I have just taken delivery of a decent scope for it and will post some shooting results soon I hope.
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021