Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Believe it ...

Believe it ...
March 15, 2013 01:39AM
Yesterday, I was at "Tractor Supply Company" (TSC) at least three times. Parts to hook up machines.

On one visit - I was going out as a fellow was coming in. He greeted me, as is the custom here. A "Ruddy" fellow a bit younger then me. I went to my truck - sat down - and looked thru the windshield. On the back of a dump truck I read ... "Red's Hauling". Stone, dirt, sand, fill ... etc. Phone nos. the works. I knew, immediately; that I'd spoken to "Red" on the way out of the store. I waited a few minutes.

Red bustled out - and headed for the dump truck. I angled over and asked if he was "Red". We spoke and made a deal for him to deliver a load of fill dirt to me at 8 this morning. Our grandsons were staying for a couple of days. I knew they'd love to see the dump truck and activity.

Well, Red arrived a bit late - but he had called. The boys were all primed to see the truck. I showed Red a few of the areas of need around the new building, and fill for a couple of ditches left from long ago logging errosion.

We got back to where I had laid out for him to dump his load. He figured he could get a bit farther back then that - so I didn't have to move the stuff so far. I was skeptical. He was the professional. When his back wheels sunk 10 inches into the soft sandy area ... I groaned.

Two hours later ... about fifty dollars worth of treated planks, a busted chain, Kubota dug holes in the driveway ... we got the truck out. I'd needed to pull the dirt away from the truck - and sort of build a backwards ramp for him to back onto, atop planks, to get purchase and build momentum. He figured if that dirt was ramped from the hard driveway, back to the fill area hard pack ... he could just back in another load or two. As I'd done so much grading and packing already - it seemed possible.

While he was gone for a second load ... I graded and ran the tractor over the loooong grade of ramp a hundred times. The ramp consisted of the entire dumptruck load of dirt. It looked pretty good - and the tractor rolled very easy. Now - it is very sandy soil and the edges of a packed area (unsupported) need to be given a wide berth, or they will collapse.

I repeat ... the EDGES of the pack NEED to be given a WIDE berth. So; when the front outside wheel swung onto the loose pack - the loaded dump truck stalled, healed over, the rear wheels dug holes, and Red was stuck for the second time today.

Two and a half hours later - a tree chain sawed out of the way - planks (now in little two foot broken splinters) - and chains spliced together - the truck rolled free as pretty as you please. Right behind an orange Kubota.

How was your day?

Gary

Edit: At the end ... Red shoveled closed the holes in the gravel driveway. He cleaned up the broken boards. When I handed him cash, the second time - he asked what he owed me for the boards. I just agreed to accept $20 for the new treated 12 foot planks. Earlier, while I'd gone to get the tractor, he'd given a couple new wrapped toy cars, and some new packages of shoelaces to my grandsons. I'll use him again. We're good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 01:53AM by barnespneumatic.
March 15, 2013 07:12AM
Phew, a happy ending, it wasn't looking too good an outcome until the postscript!
March 15, 2013 12:40PM
It sounds like the grandsons got quite a "show"!
March 15, 2013 10:50PM
"And that, boys, is how you get a truck unstuck! Wait, let me show you again..."
March 16, 2013 01:56AM
Brings back memories of getting stuck multiple times while landscaping around the house with fill dirt from the pond. I had to dump many a load of dirt after hitting on old stump hole with one of the wheels. When it got really bad only a strong chain and the bulldozer would pull it out. I would have loved to have an extra set of hands to drive the truck while dragging it around untended. Get crackin'

Glad it all worked out in the end. One of my best friendships was made while helping him repair waterlines he cut with a trackhoe while pulling stumps on the property. Good times!
March 16, 2013 03:44AM
Hi Kent,

Yeah - I had "Red" come back today with two more loads. I've discovered "clay mix!!" WONDERFUL stuff. You can dump a bucket in a ditch and drive a tractor over it right away. It "packs tight". What they call "dirt" here - is just dark sand. If it's contained, you can use it. Like if you fill an area with side walls. But - you can't "Build" with it. Like you can't build a ramp. It just ooooozzzzzesss out the sides, unless the ramp is fifty feet wide.

Well, Red brought me a load of clay mix. Then, when I ordered another ... he about busted his truck. It was filled up - packed down - and you couldn't get another shovel full in the truck. Was a good day of "tractor therapy". Much needed Help!.

A bulldozer ya say .... hummmmmmmm Another idea! ... nowthatIthink

smileys with beer

Gary
March 17, 2013 12:16AM
Bulldozer, eh?

I knew it...

The Kubota was only a "gateway" tractor, now you're hooked well and good. You start out with a riding mower and before you know it you're mainlining the the hard stuff. scholar
March 17, 2013 04:09AM
Hey!!! It was KENT that got me started!! "Hey Gary ... Why don't you get a KUBOTA..." surprised. WOW!!! I never realized ....

laughing. Hahaha.

Yeah, I remember at one invitational shoot, we realized a bush was blocking a particular line of fire. Kent quietly mentioned that he'd take care if it. I figured he was going for some loppers. Next thing we hear a deep throaty rumble and the metallic rythum of heavy steel tracks! Around the corner of the shop building; a yellow beast appears, and ... I didn't want to be THAT bush!!! Haha. winking smiley

Gary
March 17, 2013 04:23AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

"Tractor Therapy" continued throughout Saturday. Man, what a simply gourgeous day today. 70 degrees. Wonderful breeze. Blue sky's with fluffy white clouds. Amazing. However; I did get my bald top knot sunburned. Kelly produced my straw tractor hat a few hours into the day. Good idea. By then I'd already had too much. But WHAT a lovely day. And the tractor always helps. winking smiley

Gary
Anonymous User
March 20, 2013 03:14PM
I have that issue also. Not the tractor!!!!
March 20, 2013 09:09PM
Ah ... Folically challanged too. It bites - I know. what was that

I wonder why it isn't enough that you wind down, hurt, and realize you're gonna die. But - you have to be humiliated too! why me

Ah well .... evidently enjoyment is over-rated. hahaha.

Gary
March 31, 2013 05:05AM
C'mon Gary, you know better than that.

It's common knowledge that anyone driving a tractor MUST wear a feed-store ball cap. Probably a state law, you'd better get with the program before the Tractor Cops bust you.Blue Light Special
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021