Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Back to work tomorrow ....

Back to work tomorrow ....
April 08, 2013 05:14AM
It's going on 1 am.

I'm doing the e-mail responces. I'm grateful that people are finding me, and they wish to order my work. I have to respectfully decline, and explain that ..... well ... you have been reading here - so you know.

I get requests for my custom slugs - which I forward to Jerry and his Sons.

I have taken care of some support work on my guns in the field. Got a nice thank you. Parts fit and the gun is back in operation.

I answered another gentleman - regarding when his order will be complete.

I worked on the restoration project again today, so that I might get this place on the housing market asap. I laid brick for some hours. Pointed up old stone work. I actually quit early this Sunday afternoon. I was beat, and the neighbors had company on their patio. I figured circular saws and impact drivers might be rude on Sunday afternoon, so I'd gone as far as I could. It was a very welcome break. I laid down a bit - and then took Kelly to dinner. Nice time.

I hope that this blog of my life and times answers most any curiosity you might have for me. Everything except that one thing everybody wants to know. A date certain when an order will ship. And I sit here, at 1 am Sunday nite - now Monday morning ... doing office work. With no shop here, three incomplete shops 1,100 miles away, and a home to place on the market.

I hope people remember seeing several things, over the past several years. Do you recall seeing the pics when I rebuilt the collapsed brick piers on the West side of the front wrap around porch? That allowed me to then rebuild the frame structure, and restore the front porch. You might recall that, last April .... I rebuilt the masonary and framing of the North corner of the porch. That allowed me to complete the deck repair and paint the whole thing - again. We have known, for some years ... that we'd have to leave. I've been getting ready. I just can't tolerate the cold anymore - and this house is too labor intensive. But - when I bought it at 24 years old - I didn't know you could never finish restoring a home like this.

I also didn't know that Maryland would change all around me. It is 100% different then when I was a teen. And ... that's not all that's changed. We have seen signs that told us it was well time to move our small home business out of Maryland. Not only that - but the changing insurance industries drove a stake thru our heart when they decided to off-load their old homes. You recall the little spy inspectors they sent out to snap pics of any crack in a sidewalk or peeling paint. Excuses. The poison notes - not to fix or upgrade - but to tell you that they were not going to renew your policy. The one you had faithfully paid for 33 years. The helpful insurance agent who called all of the Insurance Carriers in our area - to see if he could secure a replacement carrier for us. Yes - the same fellow who stated to each carrier that "He has a GUN AND KNIFE shop in the back yard". He has WHAT?!!!????? IN MARYLAND!!!!!!!!???????

Then, there is Gary's back. Nuf said there. If we are ever gonna move - it's going to be while he can still walk.

And so, I sit here pretty early Monday morning. Monday, Saturday, Sunday .... they've all been the same for nearly a year now. I'm actually doing pretty well. My regiment of health maintenance (complex as it is) is doing a decent job. And I'm in pretty good spirits - for having been on this slog for nearly a year. But the loose ends of the move and reopening the shops, are not simple. I can't speed them up. I can only throw myself against them harder - and bruise more ribs. Have you ever changed brake disc pads? There's a hydraulic piston in there - that squeezes against the back of the pads - which in turn, squeeze against the brake rotor. And you stop. The brake lining wears down, and you need new brake pads with new lining. Well, the new pads are fatter then the worn ones. As the lining wore off the old ones, the brake pistol followed the brake pad, as it shrunk in thickness. As a result; you can take off the old pads, but you can't put in the new ones. UNTIL you "retract" the brake pistons to make room for the fatter ones. I listened to a man once; who had decided to replace the brake pads on his Cadallac. Honest. He was hammering and flailing away at the brake piston - trying to retract it. The sounds got more and more violent. The bigger hammer had come out. And, he got nowhere. Although, I suspect he ruined the pistons.

The way to do it is with a clamp, and steady pressure. A simple C clamp will do. And a quick rig of a couple of blocks of wood to push on the piston and not damage it. You see - the piston is the big end of a hydraulic force multiplier principle; that changed the world. It's the little stream of oil - acting upon the larger surface area of the brake piston - that multiplies the small force applied, to do huge work. You can't reverse it. You can pound and beat on the piston, til your teeth fall out of your head. It won't move, by means of a quick push or hammer blow. But - with a simple clamp and steady pressure - you can wind that piston back into it's cylinder with ease. And then you can replace the worn pads. You see the point. I can beat my head on the walls that prevent me from opening the shops at BPS ... and it won't do anything but knock me out. Steady pressure. Correctly applied. That's all I've got. I'm doing absolutely all I can. It's not enough. Not satisfying to those waiting. But - still all.

You know what ... so far as I can tell ... the next step - at 1:29 am, Sunday night .... is a small bowl of cereal and a half an hour of Duck Dynasty. Best I can do.

God Bless,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 05:29AM by barnespneumatic.
April 08, 2013 05:01PM
The brake pad image is a good analogy, slow and steady is the only way to get the job done. And you're not alone in taking your business out of Maryland, it looks like Beretta is following through on their threat to move as well.

Although you've been exempt (so far) from the threat of state legislation aimed specifically at your product, they're being squarely targeted by the gun banners...yet again. They've warned the state multiple times that they'd take their $70-something million in capital investment and their 400+ jobs and head to where they're appreciated instead of reviled, but I guess some people just don't take a hint.

Wouldn't it be funny if they ended up in Florida too?
April 09, 2013 02:36AM
Just a footnote:

I'm also following thru with two auction houses. One for the furniture goods, and the other for the hundred other things the first would not want. I've been staging and taking pictures of groups of items. Sending them to the auction that does a huge SPRING sale each year. They list goods on the net to get the info out. Oddly, this is the FARM emphasis sale based from a LIVESTOCK auction. They are just on the ball. I stopped in there and met the people - talked about my stuff. Got their Text numbers.

No, they don't come get the stuff. The one place charges lawyer fees to use a moving company, per hour. The other - YOU bring it. I'm making a monster in the shop to help.

So; if anybody is worried that I'm just fooling around with bricks and such ... I have more plates in the air then that.

thumbs up
April 09, 2013 07:44AM
Gary, I keep following your progress and the magnitude of your task overall and I shake my head. Awe inspiring take a bow
Like everyone (and you) I'm looking forward to BPS getting up and running, but there's a bit to be done before that...whistling
Best regards to you and Kelly
Neil
April 10, 2013 12:11AM
It WILL end!
Anonymous User
April 10, 2013 12:59AM
Compared to this time last year, you seem to feel much better in pain management and spirit. Your issue up north will end and your new chapter will begin.
April 10, 2013 04:56PM
It'll be sweet when you're finished up north and become a permanent Florida resident. Hopefully by this time next year the only thing you'll have to worry about come spring is whether to bush-hog the range before it gets hot or after it cools down again the fall.chainsaw
April 11, 2013 03:41AM
Hi Don,
Yeah - last year, this time; was a real picnic. That's when the Insurance Company I'd paid for 32 years dumped us in an industry wide shake up. No OLD HOUSES!!!!! Other companies were doing it too. We were screwed big time. Bills paid. Good Credit. And black listed.
I look back at what we've done this year, and marvel, as well.
So far as being in better health and spirits ... I did feel better, in some ways; this Winter in Florida. Mainly though; it's been just knuckling down and working when I don't feel good. Surprising what you can do when you know you don't have any other options. haha.
dig it
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 10:09AM by barnespneumatic.
April 12, 2013 04:01AM
Typical insurance company scenario. Sure, they've gladly taken your money for decades. But Lord FORBID they might have to PAY some it BACK!

legal robbery is what it is
April 12, 2013 04:36AM
They are the "box checkers" Sean. If they'd look at what I've turned in over three decades ... they'd see that I'm not unreasonable. HOWEVER: I get lumped into "the charts" because of people like I witnessed at Lowes today. ......

Lady there - stylish ... 50 something ... well dressed .... seemed like she might have a nice BMW outside in the lot. I'm waiting to order a quart of mixed paint. SHE has captured the paint man and clearly would be surprised to learn that there are OTHER people on the planet. She has a couple little cheap samples .. and she tells the paint guy that .. "Her Husband bought a gallon of mixed paint that he THOUGHT was gonna be the perfect color .... it isn't". And now "You'll take that back ... correct?" It was a defiant, attitude filled, retorical question. Her husband had bought a gallon of CUSTOM MIXED paint of some purple shade. She didn't like it. Therefore - Lowes should take it back and refund her money. And, of course ... hearing this sort of nonsence daily ... Lowes had a form she could fill out for a refund. She was a bit put off that she be required to do anything. I'm surprised she didn't demand gold dust weighed out, on the spot. So; ...... Since sooooooooooooo many people are absurd .... and I have a house likely to need something over the next period of contract .... my personal record means nothing. If the "Sheeple are corrupt ... the Sheep shall be so treated".

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021