Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: More Life Lessons ....

More Life Lessons ....
April 13, 2013 02:01AM
Don't wear a baseball cap, if you are removing items from a Victorian basement with low door jambs. The bill "might" hide some of your periferial vision, and you "could" slam your head into the jamb, so hard that you wind up collapsed on the floor, in a heap; and have your scalp skinned back, and loose half the hair that's left up there. You also "might" end up with a headache. Don't ask me ho.......

I haven't showed you the finished couple of projects because other things have bitten into the days. This auction that's coming up required dramatic action to retrieve things from the warehouse. Lovely day there. Another life lesson ... After you have worn a baseball cap into a Victorian basement ... don't place yourself in a position where you have to bend over all day anchoring items to D ring cleats.

It's also been raining much of today - and last night. The back basement staircase project won't take long to wrap - but it's all soaked now. I have to paint some pcs. I already pointed in under the heavy plank frame for the butterfly doors. That went well. I'll show some finished Masonary pics - I know you guys need a new screen saver ... whistling

Another life lesson ... Don't buy a phase inverter that's too light for your Warne Electric Winch (which doesn't HAVE any current draw specs. printed on it ANYWHERE!"). If you do, then you "might" be back to rolling your Civil War Vintage Metal Lathe on PVC log rollers like the Egyptians supposedly moved their stones.

Lesson ... ah ... what's that - 5? You can have 6 out of 7, or 9 out of 10 things you need to load your trailer - and you still have to do it like the stone age. We thought to take a small compressor tanked up with air (so as to top off the tires on an 82 Goldwing I had stored). We thought to take a fill hose. thought to have the fill chuck. Even changed out the hose (which had blow tips on it) to a quick coupler. Things are getting very, very scarce around here. We're having to buy copies of some things which have moved to Florida. That's a bummer. But ... when your STUPID fill chuck doesn't depress and work ... you STILL cannot put air in the tire. AND ... we had the Warne Electric Winch ... AND extension cord ... AND chains ... AND the SLICK low slung dolly cart .... AND we bought a phase inverter at a local autoparts store .... BUT ... the inverter was too light under load (worked the unit fine until you put a load on it). AND we'd depended too much on plans A and B to properly prepare for "C" which would require lifting the heavy lathe onto the Slick Dolly with a longer pry bar. Lesson - prepare for Plan Z and Z 1,2,3

Lesson 6 ... Rolling your stored 900 pound motorcycle with a soft rear tire ..... well ... whatever ....

So; I have guys from the auction coming here tomorrow am to load some very heavy stuff.

We had one of our vehicles inspected - for sale. And - it passed with flying colors - their words!!! I have NEVER had a car pass an inspection and need nothing? more confused Must be because it's not some old classic that I want to use ... but it's being inspected to sell for someone ELSE to use. hahah.

Things are pretty much a blur here now. Two auction houses. Does this go here or there. Stuff to donate. Projects and materials everywhere. Stuff that wasn't even on the list yesterday - is found as AAA-1 today.

Lesson 64 .... The artistic personality requires too much stuff, and tools, and places to work, and really can become quite a burden to keep occupied. And just short of impossible to move. crazy Owwwhhhh ... I need to wear a helmet ....
April 13, 2013 10:26PM
yea, i learned about the ball cap the hard way as well. Still have a small mark to "Remind" me. On a brighter front...Sounds like it's all getting Done, & might Soon be over with.!
April 14, 2013 12:12AM
Hi Rick,
We're all getting smarter! I heard from a friend on the other side of the world with knots on his head too - ball cap. Those things should have warning labels on them, in every known language including Klingon. Better yet - they should be regulated. They are dangerous! winking smiley
We are making good progress. If they didn't keep moving the goalposts ... Haha.
Didn't Jerry say ... Often seems like the end is racing away from me as fast as I can advance - some metaphysical CERN Collider explanation. But then, he did assure me that it would end! We're sure hoping we can get used to NOT MOVING once its over. Haha.
Gary
April 14, 2013 02:22AM
I disagree. My scalp has been saved many times by a cap. My eyes have been saved even more often from branches etc. Besides, it keeps my scalp from sunburn, ouch.

I'm looking forward to the Barnes Phewmatic hard hats in the near future. I'll take mine with the dual beer holders and integral stray so I can keep both hands on the tractor steering wheel.bowing -- Far East

Kent
April 14, 2013 03:45AM
Hi Kent,

So ... now we have, yet another; question for the ages! Baseball Caps or Not. Let's look at the sum total of human existence (I've got it right here ... winking smiley .... Egyptians ... Baseball Caps? Romans ... Baseball Caps? Phoenicians .... Baseball Caps? Hummm - what did they know that we have ignored. hahaha. laughing Besides ... I've SEEN you wear your cap backwards ... that doesn't count. hehehe.

Barnes hard hats ... love it. Right up there with bobble heads. I'll have to put the marketing department on it right away. winking smiley

Hate to be missing Spring down there. Right now - it's been really hot up here. Working outside Wed was in the 80's. Might have gotten higher. Have had the A/C on for several days up here. I'll have to stop over and do the Wood's walk with you (if I can borrow a gun ... ummmmm )

Gary
April 14, 2013 05:47AM
Ball caps are fine protection from sunshine, spiders, and seagulls, but there IS a reason why the construction guys are supposed to be wearing those hardhats. And you DO seem to be in the construction business lately...knucklehead

Besides, it'll make a good place for some of those Kubota stickers you've got stashed away. laughing again
April 14, 2013 11:21PM
The woods walk is always open. Just let me know what you What you want to shoot and what you waboingnt on the menu. I've even got some critter gumbo in the freezer. boing
April 15, 2013 01:32AM
CRITTER GUMBO!!! Yummmmmm. grinning smiley. Sounds good. fish. rudolph. hot smiley

Stuff is happening now. Just got off the phone with a realtor that sounds real good. Auction staging is happening. If I hold up, we'll get this done. Leg's draggin' some ...

Injections Wednesday. Loading auction stuff right up to when I arrive at the surgery center. Somehow I don't think this is what the Doc intended. Am I a lousy patient, or a good mover? Haha.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021