Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Thoughts and Clarifications - April 16th, 2013

Thoughts and Clarifications - April 16th, 2013
April 17, 2013 05:06AM
A few clarifications: coffee

Thanks for reading here. Any and all information which exists regarding the state of Barnes Pneumatic - is posted here.

1). I've been involved in a colossal move for nearly a year now. This involved finding a location by scouting out several locations found on line. Kelly and I traveled to a couple of potential places. I traveled to approve our final choice. After the purchase, be began tearing down my shop of 33 years here in New Windsor. Once the first box was packed - that met one box of items I need to run the business was then out of touch. As the move progressed, I just became less and less able to do anything, but move. Everything was in disarray with tools and machines in Maryland, in Florida, in storage, in trailers, and on the road.

We've planned, for years; to make a move. This was made necessary because of my health requirements, and the changes which have taken place around us here. It's not possible to move, without haveing a place to move to. Most situations require the liquidation of one place, then a short period of limbo during which contracts allow you to find another place; and then a mad dash to have home belongings delivered to the new home. Eight trailers full of machine tools complicate the model. We pulled off a minor miracle (and seriously judged our true needs vs. our desires) and found a way to buy a simple home, good shops, and some property; in a location which suited our needs. This gave us a place to "move to" WHILE we "moved from" during a process that would take quite a long time and effort.

It has not been possible to process all of this; and still work on the airgun orders. Thus; things now, are as they were when we began. I know the whole move thing has gotten very old. Believe me - I've noticed on this end too. We are now finishing the prep. to place our Maryland home on the market. The last trailer leaving New Windsor will be pulled South with a huge smile. Once I arrive, I'll splash a little water on my face - comb my hair . and immediately be even farther behind then I was a year ago. After a year of giving everything I had to give ... I know it's going to be a real disappointment to many, when all the guns are not complete in the first month. If you bear with me, I'll complete all of the orders.

2). Regarding the Custom Slugs - especially the 25 caliber Barnes Slugs made by Sure Fire Casting. Jerry Boyenga and his fine Sons make these slugs from tooling I have made and provided to them. They also do custom casting for my customers. They hold clients casting molds and dies, in reserve; and cast for my clients from this equipment. I do not personally make the slugs. They do a wonderful job - and give excellent service. "I" am not personally involved in the cost structure and I do not have the prices. "I" have never personally made a dime off of the slugs - either for my customers - or for the commercial 25 cal. and 45 cal.programs we released. About 80% of the tooling that moved between myself and Sure Fire was placed, on loan, by myself; for my customer's use. Jerry and Sons have purchased some tooling they required (and have patiently waited along with everyone else, for sorely needed additions to their tooling. I have been unable to make items while the shops were in flux). The remainder of the molds and dies which have transferred to them have been my customer's molds (made by myself to complete their orders) and then transferred to them by their owner/clients so that Sure Fire can custom cast for those clients. I don't take a "cut" from anything cast by these molds. The business serves my clients, and it serves to provide business experience for Jerry's Sons. They have done a magnificient job with all of it. Jerry oversees the final check list at Sure Fire. For those of you who do not realize, Jerry is a Retired Navy Flier ... he can handle the pressure of your slug order. winking smiley PM him here - Username: Jerry

3). This week, I got an order for 950,000 springs - made to very tight tolerances - made from a specific alloy, according to the inclosed specs and drawings. Most weeks, I receive similar huge orders. Often it is for hundreds of copies of everything in my catalog. I fill all of these, at night. I've been making springs while I type winking smiley Thankfully, a dozen times a week, or more; I am notified that some company has determined why I get such poor results with social media. I don't use social media, so I didn't realize the depth of my losses in this area. I only assumed that everyone there MUST be talking about big bore PCP's. From the vast number of e-mails I get in Russian and Chinese characters ... I figured the Twitterverse was recommending me highly! winking smiley Every business I've ever dealt with, or simply browsed thru ... wallpapers me daily with endless crap I don't want to be bothered with. If I'd Google "Dog Turd", I'd get dozens of offers tomorrow. Someone wants me to link up to their network - and IF I do ponder an offer .... WELL! ... Who are you??? LOG IN, What is your User Name, What is your Password? We don't just let ANYbody respond to our junk mail, you know. About half of the actual "People" generated e-mails I get, have one thing in common: After I take the time to thoroughly and courteously answer their e-mail ..... I'll get an automated reply telling me that "Fill in Name Here" doesn't recognize my mail address - and I can fill out a form to REQUEST that they consider reading my careful reply.

My basic point here is .... they've managed to render e-mail nearly useless anymore. Everybody has their security jacked up and wound tight. 9/10 items are still junk. The one that isn't, won't let you respond. If you need me - PM me here on Rendezvous. I don't pay nearly the attention I used to pay, to e-mail. It used to be a very valuable tool, but it's been rendered to mush.

I wish Rendezvous HAD become more of a Social Media. I really don't care what somebody, who knows somebody, who works with somebody else did five minutes ago. I doubt they want to talk about airguns, or talk to me. They just want me to read every thought that has passed thru their head. However; we do have an interactive site right here. It gives us both networking, public, and private options to meet and discuss. And, it's monitored by sane people of like mind. Use it if you care to. It was never my intention that rendezvous become Gary's Facebook Page. It's a community.

4). Regarding my health. To paraphrase a very old joke: "I'd like to tell you that I'm all better now, but I'm just not that big a liar." winking smiley I have a "routine" which is doing a decent job of managing my bag of ailments. Age sucks. The alternative is worse. About the best advice I have gotten and can give is: "Deal with it." Every day is different. Since I get injections tomorrow - that will help the hip/leg/groin pain and numbness in legs and feet. I'm grateful it works for me. In order to get the injections; they take me waaaaaay down on Ibuprofen. That means days of feeling more achy and headaches. Can't sit and watch Duck Dynasty for days ... so; I work. Now - if I were feeling like this, I could not and would not do careful math or run a lathe. Too tedious and too dangerous. I will mix a bag of mortar or knock together some carpentry. Maybe load a trailer. Do I like to carry heavy stuff with a painful leg and headache? No. Is anybody else gonna carry it? No. See how simple it is? winking smiley

The bottom line is that nothing is worse. The weather in Florida was delightful all Fall and Winter. That helped. I was not as achy as I am here when it's cold and wet. Yes - I know it's hotter then blazes in the Summer. But, it's a few months. I'll be working in the A/C - no problem. The actual damage to my discs will just be an endless chase of treatment, for the duration. I resolve to not allow any irreversable treatments. I can't say how everything will progress. I could go into a bunch of detail, but the bottom line is that I'm just dealing with it. Doing what I can. I'm working way too hard now. I know that. If there was an option, I'd consider it. As soon as we can get out of here, we'll do it. We're putting things into place each day. Keep in mind that when I flip the switch in Florida, and start working on the ledger ... I'm living out of my pocket. So; don't begrudge me a bit of time to draw a few more months living expenses out of this home I've maintained for 33 years. The "write down" can become brutal on small things I can fix in a day or three. I'm doing them BEFORE they come up and become an value sucking issue. I didn't do them before because I was working in the shop. I've split my workload as best I could between the move prep and the shop, over the past couple of years. Every extra month I secure from here, is an extra month of work out the door.

5). What was GOD thinking when he created the stink bug? I must humbly admit that I don't see the charm. The things are EVERYWHERE up here. Two of them were just carrying out an air raid on me while I typed. One made a frontal attach, for distraction, while another landed behind my neck and laid low. The sensation of something walking around on my neck ... and I slapped myself silly with a back scratcher .... excited

6). Auction. This auction is being held about 8 miles from here. It is the Spring Machinery and Misc. sale held by new owners who bought the Livestock Auction some time back. They have "Hay Auctions" each week. They have small Odds and ends auctions. They seem to be on the ball. I had them out here, Saturday ... and we all worked extremely hard. They left here with much of a heavy flat bed trailer loaded tight. I have been sending them pics, and they've been putting items on their sale website. This is supposed to be a well attended auction. Around here, there are not Auctions in the Winter. It's cold, muddy, snowy ... and nobody is in the mood. Come Spring, that all changes. We've planned to wait out Winter and get the house ready, and clear out things, in the Spring. We didn't just choose to do everything backwards. hahaha. Contacts with Realtors claim that housing is moving far better this Spring. They even speak of a "Wave". Now - I'll believe it when I cash it. But - we're following thru on clearing all of the solid stuff out, and then moving on to all of the furniture and household. The furniture is lighter too - which might help the back. As I've noted before - these Auction places require things to be brought to their locations. Now - we may get some co-op on that (as we did by committing to some nice things) ... but some of the auctions use moving companies at $150/hr with minimum several hour durations. They have "buyer's premiums" which kill potential. Plus travel, plus, plus. You can give away everything and still owe money. We've never had enough stuff to warrent a big old estate auction here - it's been Winter, and staging is very labor intensive, and having people on your property (and/or rumaging thru your home) is an issue with insurance companies. So; we're figuring it out as we go. If it were still 1955, it would sure be simplier.

7). OK ...It's 1:38 am again. See you on the other side.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 05:40AM by barnespneumatic.
April 17, 2013 08:08AM
Sometimes life gets pretty darned complicated before it can get simple(r) again.

Here's to the latter. drinking smiley It's gonna take a while, but you'll get there!
Anonymous User
April 17, 2013 11:09PM
Soon it will be done and you will see a better result with a new location that will serve you better. Life for the both of you will be easier and will achieve a better result. I will be here with you until GOD tells me no more...........
April 17, 2013 11:41PM
Thank you Don. Thank you Sean. I sincerely appreciate your comments.

I had the injections today. Pretty painful again, but the people there treat me so great, I'm really gonna miss them. The injections always help. I'm lucky there.

I always sort of hit a wall a couple of hours after the procedure. Post stress I suspect. Fortunately I'm supposed to rest afterwards.

Crossed a bunch of stuff off the list recently. It's getting there.

Thks again,
Gary
April 18, 2013 07:43AM
Hi Gary
Hope all is good after the injections, and I hope your tidy-up (euphemism for incredibly massive project) at BPN goes smoothly....
Cheers
Neil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021