Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mahogany oxidation

Mahogany oxidation
March 17, 2009 10:37PM
I took the stock off the Woodsman today for a little service and I noticed that the color of the wood was significantly different where it is usually covered by the trigger guard.

stock1.jpg

stock3.jpg

It is wonderful how the stock has taken on such a rich hue. The pictures are pretty accurate renditions but the difference is even easier to see in person. Note in the second picture that the stock has a little wear from my trigger finger! surprised

I'm a little amused that while many of Gary's guns have gone missing in vault seclusion, mine are actually showing signs of wear. cool smiley I should be the durability tester for the next new design!! more innocent
March 18, 2009 09:55AM
Is the wood even darker where you handle it often( foregrip, around the trigger etc) ??
Does sweat, grease and cack from your hands get through the finish?
March 18, 2009 11:04AM
No, the rest of the stock has mellowed very uniformly. The area in the picture is the only spot that differs.
March 18, 2009 01:16PM
Jerry,

Do you have grease, sweat, and cack on your hands? Had I known that .... I'd have made you a nylon stock. laughing again

That thing is really getting mellow. If it gets much nicer ... you're gonna owe me more money. whistling

coffee Havin' coffee

Gary
March 18, 2009 02:30PM
Unless one works in an office, don't we all have grease sweat and cack on our hands??!!
I must wash mine at least ten times a day to remove sticky old beer, soft drink syrup and cellar crud!!
I've sen your workshop Gary, you had better add sawdust and metal muck to that list..rolling happy smiley
March 18, 2009 03:39PM
Well, I work in an office now so I may be short on cack...though I do wash my hands often through the course of the day...

BTW, "cack" is not a term I've ever heard before; given the usage, I just assumed it was a synonym for grime.

In any event the finish on the gun is plenty durable and resistant to sweat and cack but it is oxygen and light permeable allowing the wood to age/mellow.
March 18, 2009 07:31PM
Jerry,
Yes, cack is indeed a term used for grime spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Its Southeast England slang , sort of a humourous word for it.

Kinda works well when said in a sentence like, "I was covered in (deep) cack!!"

edited by Jerry, no offense was intended by anyone here but I don't want even substitutes for harsh words here per the family access without explanations intent of the site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 09:26PM by Jerry.
March 18, 2009 08:34PM
See Jerry ... you just HAD to ask, didn't you .... ??? winking smiley

Gary
March 18, 2009 09:22PM
Of course, nobody would use a sentence like that here!
March 18, 2009 09:51PM
Oops, sorry chaps, wasn't thinking (no change there then) sad smiley

Appologies if anyone was offended.
March 18, 2009 10:29PM
It's all good Paul. I'm probably way too picky about this sort of thing and I just beg your indulgence. I sure nobody has been offended and no offense was intended...
March 19, 2009 06:09PM
Didn't even think about the fact that your boys probably read this forum. Maybe some wives as well...

Lol, when the veneer of decency is as thin as mine, the corseness shows through on occasion...knucklehead
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021