Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Not a Barnes but.....

Not a Barnes but.....
May 12, 2013 04:24PM
My BFF ! Buck favorite folder! Even though I am not a big knife collector I have picked up a few great ones over the years. Don't even know that much about it. I bought it used at a gun show and carried it for many years until the sheath wore thin. I have made a new one for it but its just not the same and u didn't want to lose it .I have used and taken good care of this tool and thought it was a good time to bring it our for a cleaning and oiling..

Thanks
Kurt
IMAG0644.jpg
IMAG0651.jpg
May 12, 2013 05:45PM
Very nice Kurt.
I had a man crush on those years ago. Very solid.
I see someone has converted it into a button release. Or did Buck offer them that way? Nice engraving. I hope you continue to enjoy it. thumbs up
Thanks for posting!
Gary
May 18, 2013 12:08PM
I am not sure if it is factory made or not. All the other Bucks have a very different style of button release ,long rectangular release. I was sure when I bought it it was all origional but after seeing some of your work I don't know!!!! Either way it will have to do till I find me a nice BARNES ( antique) folder hehe

Thanks
Kurt
May 18, 2013 03:32PM
Is that a crack about my age, Kurt? Haha.

Young whippersnappers! winking smiley

Ill have to make some simplier folders for the gun room, if I EVER get my tools back!!!

Nobody noticed. My NEW old bandsaw on the patio. Craig's List. I couldn't stand it!!! $150 and it was worth every penny in making those stairs. thumbs up

Gary
May 18, 2013 07:28PM
Lucky dog. The only things I ever find on Craigslist are more projects, never tools to make projects easier.
May 19, 2013 12:20PM
Who is Craig? And why does he have a list anyways . That has to be one of the hardest part of moving so far away . Not knowing what you need for certain up and coming projects .and then having to go spend money on tools you know you have. A MILLION MILES AWAY !! That's what Sean had said awhile back only his journey back involved a boat or ferry . Up here in Northern Mich we have a few islands with ferry acess but usually for big construction jobs they wait till ice and hall materials over . It's way cheeper cause you know you always forget something that will hold up progress .

Thanks
Kurt
May 19, 2013 11:56PM
I'm convinced that at least half the reason why commercial plumbers and electricians can get the job done so fast is the fact that they've got a jillion parts out in the van. No trips to HomeDespot, just walk out and rummage through the bins.
May 20, 2013 01:23AM
Ah NUTZ!!!

I should have waited for ICE before hauling everything to BPS!!!

winking smiley

Hey - we did have ice on one trip. It's been so ... Ah ... "Comprehensive" that we've had the full spectrum.

Gary
May 20, 2013 02:17AM
As long as you don't have to get all "ice road truckin" on your return trip, everything ought to be OK.Snowman

I suppose we'll have to make an exception for ice in your tea, can't be without that, now can we?
May 20, 2013 04:03AM
Hi Sean,
There would BE no South, without Sweet Iced Tea. My theory anyway.
Can't wait to get back there for a tall glass.

Hey - did you read my suggestion for your spiral staircase railing question?
Gary
May 22, 2013 08:07PM
Hello Gary,

Yes, I did read your suggestion to fabricate a rail with the lamination method. It's intriguing, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to talk the wife into putting up with a big glue-up project in the middle of the living room. She likes the look of the factory-built railings, but once she sees what one of them costs (and the ridiculous shipping) she might be more amenable, we'll see. smiling smiley

I think you're probably right about the sweet tea down below the Mason-Dixon line, it's undoubted the "official drink of the south", at least as far as non-alcoholic drinks go. In my experience, you CAN get unsweet tea, but only because they assume that you're going to load it up with Sweet-n-low since you must be on a diet. I try not to drink it straight in front of them, they always look a bit horrified.blush
June 29, 2013 06:23AM
here is another one of my favorite folders .I carried this blade for quite a number of years also . I wore out the sheath on this one and remade the one that you see now .does anybody out there know what brand this is ?It was made sometime in 1980ish .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 06:27AM by kurt wag.
IMAG0678.jpg
IMAG0680.jpg
IMAG0682.jpg
June 29, 2013 02:40PM
Gee, I'm gonna say one of the gun companies ... Remington? Just a guess

Thks for posting Kurt.

Gary
June 29, 2013 03:50PM
Kurt,

You know ... I now seem to have a flash memory of one of those marked COLT. You might check that. thumbs up

Gary
June 29, 2013 04:10PM
Nope it is not a colt .it is not made by a gun company but a rather famous Knife Company that I have always liked .They make a lot of good quality knives .It does however have a gun name attached to it sort of or I guess you could say gun related .

Thanks
Kurt
July 10, 2013 06:15PM
Camilus perhaps? They used to make bayonets.
July 10, 2013 07:14PM
No Sean it is a kershaw 22 cal ! Actually made in the late 70s. I bought it off the snap on truck for $60 .I used to scrap paint for welding ground and filet trout in camp. I guess a gerber guy broke off and started the company.

Thanks
Kurt
July 11, 2013 07:40AM
Most of my pocket knives are either Kershaw or Gerber, with a few others thrown in for good measure.
July 11, 2013 02:54PM
Hi Kurt,
I had a very nice Kershaw once. Went on a trip with family. Bought a lockback folding knife (like a small BUCK) at a shop in Gatlingburg, Tenn. great knife. I somehow begged a short length of Fur 4 by 4 about foot long - from some source I can't recall or even imagine. And then I sat in the room and carved a spiral candlestick from it, for the rest of the trip. Haha. Wow, I should have sought help then. Hahaaaahh. But it was a great knife. thumbs up
Gary
July 11, 2013 04:47PM
I haven't whittled in a long time but I have carved my name in a tree or two and maybe a picnic table ! I do however remember seeing that spiral candle stick in a photo on this website somewhere .as with everything you do it was pretty ornate. Some day soon I will show you a pic of my Barnes pocket knife and see if you can remember making it. I don't really collect to stow away but to use and abuse .

Thanks
Kurt
July 11, 2013 05:49PM
For some reason I seem to have a lot of knives. Kershaw, Buck, Case, Camilus (my old field knife that hung on my web gear), Benchmade, Ruana, Randall, Barns, and a few others. I have given away as many knives as I own to my kids who seemed to lose them. I like a good knife and always have at least one in my pocket. Even when I travel, I throw one in my suitcase (a lower priced one since they have been know to wander off). Most of my knives have scratches, dings and whatnot from use (even my Barns), but they can still do any job I put them too even if they are not always as sharp as possible. Of course I can't whittle worth a darn no matter how much I try.

Keith
July 16, 2013 09:54AM
I've been carrying around one of the Ken Onion designs a lot lately, no fancy steel, just the plain vanilla AUS-8 on this one. I think they call it the "chive", but there's a lot of other onion-related models as well. Guys got a sense of humor with the names, anyway! It's one of the assisted opener models, got a wharncliffe pattern blade with a nice, sharp needle point, fairly delicate but easy to touch up. I'm not thrilled with the "flippers" they seem to hang on all of the assisted-opening models these days, so I grind off the more intrusive ones and use the thumb studs instead.
July 16, 2013 03:32PM
The Wharncliffe blade is about the most practical for daily Carry. Love em.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021