Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Clay Rat vs. 58 Round Ball

Clay Rat vs. 58 Round Ball
March 18, 2009 05:53PM
Trying to remember how to post a movie. Second try ... using the "embedded" html option. I think I recall that's correct.

Gary
March 18, 2009 06:14PM
Firin' .58s in the shop, are ya? Don't shoot yer eye out!

-- Jim
March 18, 2009 06:43PM
Thru the shop muzzler, into the bullet trap.

Gary
March 18, 2009 06:45PM
Oh, someone's having way too much fun! winking smiley I see the rat got propped up ahead of the muzzler so so nobody got called to investigate the "gas line explosion." rolling happy smiley

That video reminds me of the squirrel I shot with the Woodsman, the .62 slug cored the poor thing just like that, took out a half inch of spine, instant end of story. cooler
March 18, 2009 06:55PM
Hey, that's right. Somebody's got to shoot something! haha.

Yeah, shot the gun thru the muzzler (monster shop moderator unit). The bullet then exits thru a 1 1/2" pipe ... can only hop across the chronograph, and into the "ballistic mailbox" (heavy, heavy bullet trap). The whole thing is surrounded by a floor to ceiling plate steel surround. As you could hear (not hear) in the video ... the muzzler does a good job.

Hey - sunlight all over the place up here. You should have some too. Sky is blue ... georgeous. And, I'm trapped in the house tending to some business for the afternoon. I was carving this morning. Stock is going well.

Gary
March 18, 2009 07:26PM
Gary, I think you killed it rolling happy smiley
Interested to hear about your muzzler. When I'm target shooting my big bores around home and not using a silencer, I use what I call a "Boom box", which is literally a customwood box with a slit in each end, filled with sound absorbing materials. I do this to try to keep noise levels down out of respect for wife and distant neighbours (gun shots echo hugely up our valley). Mine is a crude and primitive model, and not particularly effective....any chance of sharing some of your design features? I'll understand if the design is part of your future retirement income plans..grinning smiley
March 18, 2009 07:49PM
You're KILLIN" me over here Neil! First the bench, and NOW the muzzler. eye popping smiley heheh

surrender

It's a honkin' big approx. 8" diameter steel pipe five feet long, with plywood baffles (with a center hole) glued inside with construction adhesive. (Plywood so no rebound of a misaligned shot would come back). Entrance end is plywood also - hole about 2" in, I lay some pipe insulation in the hole to cradle the barrel muzzle.

The far end is a heavy steel plate, with a hole in the other end. A steel pipe, about 1 1/2 - 2" inside .... and about 12" long is welded straight into the exit hole. The reason being: only a well aligned shot thru the baffles can exit ... and if the shot goes into the 12" long 2" pipe ... it can't possibly go crooked after that ... can only jump across the chronograph and immediately into the elevated "ballistic mailbox" A "glancing shot" though, is no good. It's safe, but I can only get a good chrono reading from a perfectly clean shot I placed thru all of the baffles and thru the length of the exit pipe.

Ballistic Mailbox is the bullet trap, and has a heavy steel base, pipe stalk, and heavy pipe body to it. I stuffed it tightly with fiberglass insulation and keep overlaying duct tape at the front. The lead fragments and insulation makes a sort of "gunk" in there that catches the shrapnal. I only clean it out every few years, sift it, and remelt the lead.

I have the muzzler suspended at shoulder height. I look along the barrel and align with a spot I draw on the center of the bullet trap mailbox front tape face. Takes a good instinct alignment to get a clear shot thru it. The smaller access hole in and smaller exit, makes the thing more quiet. But ... makes it harder to align. Your unit is a good idea for shooting outdoors. I don't have any "outdoors". crying Whaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 07:57PM by barnespneumatic.
March 18, 2009 09:38PM
Well, I guess we're all going to want to know what .58 action did this damage!? whistling
March 19, 2009 12:44AM
An action that's back in the shop for service.

Gary
March 19, 2009 07:49AM
Gary, much obliged, I now have a design team working on this and my factory in China will begin production soonrolling happy smileyrolling happy smiley
And sorry about the outdoors

Hehehehehehedrinking smiley
March 19, 2009 01:00PM
You're a cold hearted man Neil!

confused

Gary coffee
March 18, 2009 07:36PM
Lol, I suspect everyone chuckled at the same point as you Gary when you showed the hole!!! thumbs up

That was highly amusing!

I reckon even the Ballistic Bear wouldn't stop that!!

Great post rolling happy smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 07:36PM by Pablouk.
March 19, 2009 01:18PM
Hi Paul,

Yeah ... I don't know why more people don't use 58 caliber on rats and squirrels and such! hahaha. laughing again Seems to me they do a thorough job.

thumbs up

Gary
March 23, 2009 09:07PM
Gary, I think you killed it more innocent
March 31, 2009 08:04PM
ever tried cracking a wallnut , what cal would you reccomend . it was a nice rat all the same .
April 01, 2009 09:38AM
its very effective.what far you hunt it?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021