Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Cute Trick up here

Cute Trick up here
June 18, 2013 04:40AM
Electrical power will go OFF/ON real fast. Sometimes it will happen two or three times in a row.

It's my understanding that our electrical rate is based upon our "Surge Requirements". An electrical device will draw huge amounts of current WHEN ITS STARTING from dead stop. You never flip on everything in your house at the same time. Therefore; you only use a smallish surge requirement. See; the same 10amp surge that you used to start one device a few minutes ago - is not being required until you turn on the next 10 amp surge. So; you can go all day - turning on and off motors one at a time, and not exceed this need for 10 amps of surge power. Now - take a bunch of things running - and then flip the main a few times - and you need 10 amps for each one - all added together to start and stop and start them again. All the sudden you have used 60 amps of surge requirement or more. And the poor utility had to provide that requirement - so you pay.

Learned that from a buddy I lost recently. Jack worked at Fort Detrick in Frederick. I also heard the same from the owner of a furniture factory in which I did a brief turn. He said that's why they just left machines run at idle many times. Because that took hardly any current to maintain. Starting and stopping increased their surge requirement.

I bring you this pearl as my current just flicked three times. All the a/c groaned. My router crashed. Etc. Fortunately, I had my trusty iPhone. A man and his quill. typing

Gary
June 18, 2013 07:40AM
Aaah Gary, I have been continuing to follow your fraught journey from a distance, quite some distance!
Your power issues strike a chord (amongst many other chord-strikers as you take a step forward and one or two back, but forge on) as it seems that where I live, any kind of weather condition out of the ordinary seems to produce a power cut. We have just had 1 1/2 times our monthly June rainfall in 2 days (only 1 power cut, last night) but they are now predicting the worst snow in 20 years to top this off. So I am heading for my garage to see if my generator still works in case of the inevitable power cut...Murphy's Law says it won't! why me
Hang in there!
Cheers
Neil
June 18, 2013 02:13PM
Hi Neil,
Only thing to do, is buy a ton of Sun Screen. Raging Sunshine is bound to be next! Good Luck!!
Thanks for following along. Appreciate your comments.
I've only told a portion of the stories. pushingarock. Ya see this little fella pushing his rock? Well, as soon as it moves one length ... He's gonna smile - and then immediately fall down the man hole that's under the rock. excited
thumbs up
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 02:14PM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021