Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Outrageous!!!

Outrageous!!!
June 29, 2013 03:36AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Says Serial Number 45 - December 23, 1978. Ruth Bennet from the local hardware store notorized it ....

I came across more old pictures. These are from the early days of my life as a custom knifemaker!

These are phone pics of old Poloroid pics and early 35mm pics of mine. Don't critique the images, please. winking smiley

Here you see - if you squint - a tiny handmade pocket knife I made round about 1878 ... Or was it 1978 ... no matter. You see it nested in a fitted walnut case. The case is molded with felt. The Walnut was that which my grandfather had harvested, with his sawmill, in the 40s most likely. You see a packet of materials. Top document is a Certificate of Authenticity. It is notorized.

This is now for a different knife - but it shows the type of pictures that were in the packets. There was a picture of the parts of the knife displaying the tempering colors of the steel before polishing. There was a photo of the parts prior to assembly. That showed the serial number and date of manufacture. There were pics of the completed knife as well. The packet fit inside the case with the knife.

For the Walnut Case, the packet of photos (which I had to remember to take during the build and then have them developed afterwards), I charged the completely OUTRAGEOUS price of .... ..... ...... ......... $35. The knife would have been about $50.

A lock back folding knife like this probably cost ... Approx. $140

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2013 04:31AM by barnespneumatic.
June 29, 2013 03:49AM
Yes - they are out there. In sock drawers, most likely. They haven't been seen since the box arrived. They don't read the forums - wouldn't see the advertisements. Maddening ... Isn't it? Worse yet, by now - the 40 year old children of the orig owners (who have most likely passed) have probably sold the knives at yard sales - or to the Pawn Stars for $13.

And that's why I say, "Show your collectibles". Above the fear of thieft, should be the fear of anonymity. If collectors know you have pcs., then you will have a market when you wish to sell. And, your stupid Son In Law won't sell your stuff to have his ATV wrapped in camo.

I know. I have a mean streak when I hurt .... Haha. Bwahhhaaaahhhhh. stunned
June 29, 2013 06:06AM
Those are beautiful knives . And how true your statment is but... imagine the lucky fellow who fell upon one of those gem at the rummage sale and found out what he really had . That to me is the joy of collecting something .anybody can go out and buy iand say that he's a collector . But when you find something in a most unlikely place you truly appreciate it much more because of the effort you put into searching .

Thanks
Kurt
June 30, 2013 04:02PM
Gary,

$85 for the set? I'll take 3. The fact that the pictures are digital now - you save time and money - should allow for a little inflation.whistling

Lon
June 30, 2013 04:07PM
Sure thing Lon!

The knives are digital now too! Shall I forward to your mail? Please send check. grinning smiley

Gary
July 01, 2013 07:45PM
Ok. COMMON NOW .....

$50 custom knives.
$35 walnut fitted display boxes ....

And only Kurt and Lon found it worth a response? Gee guys, the world is watching. Do you have to make it soooooo obvious? whistling
July 01, 2013 08:00PM
Gary, nice bit of history there. Interested to know what you would value them at now...??
Regards
Neil
July 02, 2013 07:56AM
Hi Neil,

Not ignoring you. I'm thinking.

I began by just trying to come up with a Factor to equate 1978 to 2013. You know - the price of average things, including the average Automobile, wage, home, gasoline, etc. I think I've come up with a factor of approx. X6. What do you think?

That's just getting into economics 101. 1978 to 2013. Gasoline is gasoline. But it was about 60 cents per gallon then. Now about $3.60 - a factor of X6. The gas is still the same - the money is worth LESS. So it takes more of it to buy the same thing. A nice car in !978 was around $3,500. A similar car now is about $21,000 - a factor of X6. Etc., Etc. The products are the base-line. Takes more of today's dollars to buy them.

So; you have a $50 little pocket folder in 1978. And we are now NOT factoring in the ole BARNES Crystal Glow .... 'cause I wasn't getting any premium in 1978 for being me. So; we have a neat, and nicely made pocket folder .... today .... using our X6 factor ... and we get folks charging about $300. And, I think that might be about right. It was when I last had any awareness of such things.

So; now we'd have to figure the value of my BARNES folder FROM 1978. We will assume it's mint - 'cause nothing gets used at all. It's one of the things that drove me from knives to airguns. Hah!

We ask - would I make the 1978 pocket folder today for $300? No. It would probably be $595. But; we are still not answering the question. Because - the knife I'd make now would be significantly better then the 78 version. No question. So; that's a big bonus for people - AND we now have my history to ride along with the 2013 knife. It's still a great buy. But - is the original 1978 worth more then a new one I'd make? It really SHOULD be - but probably isn't.

You get the factor of availability. You get second and third generation sellers involved - and they have no idea what they have. They want quick liquidation for Dad's old junk. And - low and behold - knives come onto the market for absurd prices - waaaay below what they originally cost. Another reason why I hammer on SHOWING YOUR COLLECTION. Make YOUR example KNOWN and desired. That is the way collectors effect the market. But most don't want to take the time or effort. They feel that "I" should do that for them. But - I can't. I cannot show their stuff. I can't make people know they have it. And I can't keep 2nd and 3rd generation sellers from dumping amazing collectibles. I used to fear that my reputation might be effected by an occasional poor sale. But not so. I can't educate a buyers children and grandchildren, if they don't come allow me to by visiting the sites, and shoots/shows. THAT is the collector's obligation too. SHARE the love of the items with your family. Some of my buyers do that so very well. It's good family - but it's also good business too.

Are you tired of reading yet Neil? I still haven't answered the question. winking smiley The amount ABOVE the X6 factor is the representation of what I've accomplished in the nearly 40 years I've done this. thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 08:03AM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 9
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021