Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Clumsy, Untalented, and Stupid Hackers

Clumsy, Untalented, and Stupid Hackers
July 15, 2013 06:17PM
I got a mail - quite a few months ago, from a Gentleman who had acquired one of my Titanium 4Speed Automatic Custom Art knives. It didn't work. Having been made in the 80's, it was not known what might be required to adjust it. The Gentleman loved it. And hoped I might be able to help him with it.

Of course. However; I am involved in a total move of home and shops. I must defer to a later time. We kept in touch - every 2-3 months. He was quite patient, and grateful that I was willing to look at it. I suspected that it only needed adjustment, and perhaps a new cam wheel for the adjustment feature.

This was a version of my US Patent Locking Mechanism. I'd covered the sides with extruded titanium shells. The shells were attached to the die formed stainless steel channel frame. The mechanism was revolutionary compared to other designs of the era. Makers and dealers and collectors, would make their way to my display table ... and stand there for long periods of time. Squinting into the shadows of interior spaces of my folding knives. Holding them to the light. Seemingly lost in concentration, as if I were not there at all. They wanted to know how they worked. Many from appreciation. Many from a sense of wonderment. Many with the desire to copy them, so that they TOO, could become FILTHY RICH like Barnes ..... spit.

And so, I developed the "Snoop Rivet". A very small, ornate, copper tube rivet. I would close compartments and attach extruded shells with these small closures. They had to be drilled out - and would not be done "secretly".

As soon as I opened the box on this knife today (I finally told the Gentleman to go ahead and send it - and I'd look at is as I could). It arrived and upon opening it - there were ugly slotted screws in the corners where the Snoop Rivets had been. Uh-oh. And the story unfolds.

I have pics - but have to get back to work. Here is my report, which I sent to the Gentleman.

Copy:

Hello _______

I got the knife fine. Thanks.

_________ - get a cup of coffee - maybe something stronger.

Your knife has been the victim of a "Clumsy, Stupid, Hacker/Thief". I'm sorry. It's been badly hacked in an effort to learn it's secrets and most likely duplicate same.

First clue, out of the box - was the corner screws holding the Titanium extruded side shells. The screws have "Slots" in them. I don't think I've used a slotted screw on anything since a gate hinge in 1974. In those positions should be what I termed "Snoop Rivets". Aptly named - don't you think? I made special tooling in order to make very tiny, ornate, copper tube rivets and a special tool to close them. They looked very nice - and, of course - they would require anyone to drill them out to get inside the knife.

This knife mechanism was considered to be rather revolutionary when I designed it. So; since this was originally brokered thru a dealer - did a dealer have his pet knifemaker whom he hoped could rip off a batch of these cheaper, for him? It seems odd that any knifemaker would have spent the $1,200 or more, that this knife cost when it was made in the 80's.

Now - did the knife fall on hard times? Meaning, did a second or third generation family member come into possession of "Dad's old Junk" and sell them off cheaply? It happens. Many collectors are so busy buying, that they do not record the details of their purchases or instill any appreciation of the artifacts in the family.

At any rate ... I've seen the following. I have pictures which I will either load at the end of the mail - or get to later.

1). The hacker had to thread the holes in the frame, so he could put his clunky screws back in. This left junk swarf inside.
2). The original Cam wheel has been replaced with a brass copy. That has the small numbers on it you may have noticed. That's not mine. Doesn't work.
3). The stainless steel channel frame is sprung, and most likely egged out inside - where he didn't understand how my cam was suspended, adjusted, or mounted.
4). The Adjustment Key has been broken, and horribly repaired.
5). The key hole in the Titanium shell has been egged out, somewhat; most likely as the thief tried to make his cam wheel work, and over tightened the kick spring.
6). Nothing works - showing that the thief gave up. A bit too late, unfortunately.

I have not disassembled the knife. I do not know the extent of internal damage.

Here are your options:

1). Do nothing. You have here, a PERFECT EXAMPLE of what happens to the work of creative individuals, in the presence of greedy, untalented people. There are vast numbers of untalented wannabes, who hate the talented - lacking any ideas of their own. They usually spend much time talking down the talented, and bragging about their own prowess. All the while secretly attempting to copy, any portion of the talented craftsman's work, that they can access.

2). I can disassemble the knife, and seriously assess the damage. This takes a bit of time and care - along with documentation. We know the frame is bent - will it straighten - probably. We know the tiny holes intended for "snoop rivets" have been enlarged and threaded. I can't un-thread them - but I can most likely put decent machine screws in there. The titanium shell is a bit bent - and can be straightened - but the somewhat egged out key hole can't be closed. It could be made more tidy though. The shells cannot be anodized again, without a lot of work. These are just some thoughts. I'd have to get inside to see what else has been messed up. I'd need $150 to tear it down and consider everything.

3). The knife is not ruined. It could be made quite nice, and functional. It will never be as fresh as it was. It can be restored by the original maker. They are pretty rare. I did not make many. Best I could do _____,

Sorry that the experience went down this fork in the road. I face this more often then you might think. These gremlins THINK that I'm getting rich. They have no idea what fine work is, or how to do it. And so they think, if they can just figure it out - they will get rich too. And they hack and ruin stuff every time. I have rebuilt a number of my custom airguns which were badly hacked. Some just stay hacked - as they are too much work to restore. Some stay in the hands of the nay sayers who love to have something of mine that doesn't work (they neglect to mention "hacking" as the reason it doesn't work). Some keep floating from buyer to buyer - each time with the sales pitch that they are "Mint" and part of the Barnes Marque. No way for one old guy to clean up the aftermarket.

Let me know what you think _____
Sincerely,
Gary

END COPY

For Readers:

I don't mind if prospective buyers send me a few pics of something they are considering. I can often spot problems. Or else - I already know a pc. has been hacked within an inch of the land fill. It is amazing, wouldn't you say ... that the detractors who work the hardest against someone - usually try to copy them.

I know many people think I'm overly cautious about showing details. And, just plain no fun, when it comes to showing things. This is why. At least Hackers can spend time and money to ply their trade. No point to hand it to them.

Pics later, when I get a chance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 02:49AM by barnespneumatic.
July 15, 2013 07:17PM
I like you more and more each day Gary .It must be hard for you to take the wrath of many and not burden the poor guy who just like me probably just wanted to own a Barnes Antique ! But you are a bigger man than that and still help a brother out! I love the snoop rivet name even more than I like the idea .

Thanks
Kurt
July 15, 2013 09:28PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The knife locked closed and shown open, though it won't lock and blade angle is incorrect. Titanium extruded shells with graphic anodizing. Die formed stainless frame. Stainless tool steel blade with hand sanded finish. Bezel set semi precious stone release button. Safety directly behind.

I liked to place some of the mechanisms on view. This would have been the adjust cam with spring and titanium spacer wrap. Stuff is sprung and damaged here.

The 4 speed adjust key. Ruined now. With this key, the knife's functions could be chosen.

After all these years, they made the trip and found an orderly place on the detail fastener shelf of the Studio. thumbs up

Gary
July 15, 2013 10:42PM
There are sooooooooo many stupid choices on the toolbars of the forum - on the phone anything you brush sends it off on some goose chase. That's how the silly thing locked the thread. I just corrected it.

BTW - the pic of the knife open looks distorted by the camera angle. The blade looks an Inch too short. That's an illusion.

Gary
July 16, 2013 05:48AM
Gary,

Interesting piece. Looks like it's worth salvaging.

Lon
July 16, 2013 06:11AM
Thanks Lon,

The Gentleman wishes to have it restored. We'll see what's inside, and freshen it up.

Gary
July 16, 2013 08:51AM
Nice looking piece, and sounds pretty high-tech for the era. Heck, sounds pretty high-tech for THIS era!grinning smiley

So...this is the custom knife equivalent to "it's a mint Barnes air rifle, just needs one of those 'valve thingys' and it'll be good as new"...right?
July 16, 2013 03:34PM
Right. Just drill a hole thru the barrel (longways whistling ) and you are good to go.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2013 11:25PM by barnespneumatic.
July 18, 2013 06:31PM
Gary,

That is nice of you to fix what some moron damaged. Too many other artists would have said "to bad, so sad" and left it at that. I really like the idea of the Snoop Rivets.

I can't even remember the number of old firearms I've examined over the years that some backyard gunsmith ruined trying to make it "better."

Do you have a photo of the knife before it was modified?

Keith
July 18, 2013 10:48PM
I'll find one Kieth. I'm trying out my new voice activated galaxy s4. it was time to change. this is an amazing thing. It is typing,I'm just speaking guess I'll be able to keep up a little easier on the forum. amazing I knew you'd like this Keith I know you're a geek that's a compliment.

this is also hooked to the Verizon jetpack out on the studio patio. I could never get reception in the studio it was like a Faraday cage here. The thinh even spelled Faraday cage free! Either good or creepy!

maybe I'm not thinking well but how can I connect a voice phone call through this wifi hotspot

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021