Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Stucco details 401

Stucco details 401
August 28, 2013 09:42PM
To clean up an old wall and provide a nice mount for the Hot/Cold Washer hook up. You must attach expanded steel mesh onto the wall. I use 3 inch dry wall screws with iron wire wrapped around to bind the mesh as a washer or an anchor point.

image.jpg

Here is the wall with the steel mesh attached.

image.jpg

Her is the formed box mount/shelf. It brings the anchor point out to where the pipes were run many years ago. These are copper and I ran then in the early 80's. the valves are bronze and all is still good.

image.jpg

Details. Now add Type S Mortar/Stucco. It will all bind together like stone and steel.

Chech back later. Hope somebody can use the info later. thumbs up

Gary
image.jpg
August 29, 2013 07:41PM
image.jpg

Ah common ..... ya know you want to comment. Haha.

Yessir .... Old Houses Rule!!!!

Well ... they Dictate, for sure!

Gary
Anonymous User
August 29, 2013 08:47PM
Nice job Gary, and it nice to see you are coming to an exit point after all of your hard work. I am still here just busy with the seasonal hvac work.
August 30, 2013 10:11PM
Ah .... HVAC.

We still have that Ductless LG unit in the Studio that's dead. The guy that was sent by the insurance people - to EXAMINE A DUCTLESS unit - said he would just replace the motherboard. But - I thought that seemed like a pretty quick diagnosis. When he called to turn it in to the Insurance people - they claimed they do NOT cover DUCTLESS units. Right. stunned So there is a bit of an issue there.

We bought one of those "Whole House" policies like our kids have successfully used in their homes for many years. Of course - we do it and call and get burnt. Go figure! It's a Gary thing. hahah. whistling

Gary
August 31, 2013 07:54AM
Don't you just love working with expanded metal mesh? It's like playing with razor blades, one false move and you're sliced to the bone. chainsaw

As far as the home repair insurance policies go, you just gotta keep at them. Hound them on the phone and in print, as sometimes it IS possible to wear them out if you keep at it. Of course, it also helps to examine your policy and see if it's right there in bold print that they don't cover such-and-such. It's a lot harder to wear them down if that's the case. eye rolling smiley
August 31, 2013 01:52PM
Hi Sean.

What's in bold print is the work order that they sent the tech with. Says right there to go work on a DUCTLESS unit. Odd if that's a no no.

We'll see. Hasn't been at the top of the list yet. Haha

Gary
Anonymous User
August 31, 2013 02:24PM
Your mini split could still be under warranty. If you can find the serial number on the side of the unit it will tell you the age and then look it up on the internet or i can help. They are correct about the home warranty business, they try their best to get out of it. I think that system has a five year warranty. If this is true you can call any repair company and they will repair the unit for labor cost only. In my opinion the best mini split is a mitsubishi....
September 01, 2013 03:54AM
Ill look when we get back down there Don. Thanks. It should be less then five years old. Looks new

Thks.

Gary
September 04, 2013 06:59AM
Can't make any money in the warranty biz if you go around paying claims willy-nilly.eye rolling smiley Gotta make those "customers" work for their money, if you make them jump through enough hoops they'll eventually give up and stop calling, after all.

Either that, or they show up at the front office with a subpoena in hand....it's a fine line.
September 09, 2013 01:25AM
Did you have to drill before putting in the sheetrock screws and are they likely to rust out or just to hold the mesh up?

Joe
September 09, 2013 01:57AM
Hello Joe,

In the old mortar joints, I could run in 3" screws and the wentbin and seated tight. In other areas I did run in a small masonry bit first. If you need to make a screw anchor in a hole, stick in a pc of iron or copper wire in the he as you start the screw. The threads will bite it and make a great bond.

They will all be inside the mortar stucco. Rust will be minimal. Yes, the screws anchor the mesh just as brick ties function. And the mortar bonds to the wall snd the mesh. Result is one bonded unit.

Makes a very solid job. thumbs up. Thanks for asking

Gary
September 09, 2013 10:01PM
Thanks Gary I've used matchsticks, toothpicks, bambo skewers,..... on wooden cabinet doors to tighten up loose screws.
Also cut up left over metal banding from crates for flat shims.
I like the idea of wire shim to tighten the hole on something harder.

Thanks Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021