Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: By popular demand ....

By popular demand ....
September 07, 2013 03:51AM
I don't know why, but people can't get enough of the basement completion pics! wow

Where windows are white, that's paper and tape to be removed. There are about half of the walls yet to spray. Another day there. Another 7 to 8 gallons of paint. Outside the entrance, I've replaced bad cedar shingles and that is ready for paint. A beige/taupe used on the front porch deck, basement window exteriors, and steps as well as the interior kitchen staircase.

Almost done down there. Huge job. The house sits on the stone and brick walls. They are very visible everywhere. Over the years, I've repaired and repointed the outside of the foundation (which is about 2/3 in the ground and 1/3 exposed. I've finished it on this push this year, and made many interior wall repairs and upgrades. The problem wall is now staying dry too. It better all look tight on a walk around and a walk through the basement. Nobody is going to pay for a crumbling mess.

There are four larger rooms and two small ones down in the basement. Two entrances. Interior bearing walls with door passages. Windows to paint inside and out. Now done. If its all crumbling and scaly on a walk through, it stabs you in the back. Clean, bright, open, maintained. We are betting on that. It's the stuff you can't get to while life is pressing and work demands. But when you are gonna sell and move, you better get it right or give your house away.

We figure every week we have spent here doing this prep work, has likely taken a month off the time required to sell it, and greatly increased the base of people who would be interested in the place. We shall see - but that's been the plan. Coming together now from a LOT of elbow grease.

Gary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 04:12AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
September 07, 2013 05:10AM
I can see that place taking a big chunk out of anybody's life. That basement is huge!

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 05:38PM by Bigbore.
September 07, 2013 02:29PM
You are right Lon,

"A man's got to know his limitations". Hah! All I knew was that I had tools and knew I could do the work. Never figured in the "life factor" at 24. At 58 I am just beginning to notice that life tries to derail your intentions. Haha.

We are finishing this up and we are outtahere!!!!!

Gary
Anonymous User
September 08, 2013 03:38PM
Very demanding project and now i understand why it took so much time and effort to move out. That is a load of work for anyone regardless of age. Thankfully you have a great wife that is next to you and we all know that it not easy to find. You are both lucky to have each other and i am more than sure the both of you will be happy.
September 10, 2013 08:29AM
yikes, that's a lot of work
September 14, 2013 05:43AM
What type sprayer did you use ?
Any tips ? My basement walls wet and effervescing.

Joe
September 14, 2013 01:15PM
Hi Joe,

My sprayer is a Wagner Airless sprayer. This one says it generates 2,400 psi but I've had it at least 20 years - might be listed different standard now.

Rustoleum makes an Epoxy Waterproofing Basement wall paint. They say it will hold 12-15 psi of hydraulic pressure. I'm sure we got it at Walmart. Used it on our problem wall. Now, either out trenching, etc did all the trick, or the paint helped too - but the wall is dry now.

Run a dehumidifier will help the air but that treats the symptom and not the cause. Trench and redirect water outside. If there is a wet sheen on the wall, it's a good bit of moisture. I'd analyze the outside cause first. Roof gutters overflowing. Ground sloping to house. Underground drain or pipe leaking. Paint at the end of the line.

Hope something there is a bit of a help.

Gary
September 15, 2013 12:38AM
House was built in the 70's, we had it regraded and retamped with class 5.
Masonary block wall cored and filled with rebar and a really wet cement.
Gotta be carefull as I trench to not steer it at the neighbors only 20 ft. away.
My problem this year it's so dry here in MN. the dirt next to the house has pulled back about 3/4 ' away from the house.
Debating wether to use a fine sand or a sandmix cement to fill the new gaps next to the house.

Joe
September 15, 2013 04:34AM
Hi Joe,

First thoughts:

If it's that dry - and you have a bulletproof wall like that - I wonder if you just have a "condensation" issue. Not from water leaking thru the wall - but from water being drawn out of the air by the temp. difference. Hard to imagine the wall you describe leaking. I'd run a couple of dehumidifiers down there for a month and observe.

Second; I'd consider running a sealer like hot pitch down the face of that exposed outside wall. If you bond in cement - it will just become like the existing wall - only a bit thicker. Sand might allow water penetration - whereas clay would seal against water movement.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021