Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Feeling good!

Feeling good!
September 13, 2013 03:04AM
Today I began another series of Epidural Spinal Injections. For new readers, this proceedure is done in a small operating theater. Under live X-Ray, the Dr. numbs the area. That involves needles to stick and inject anesthetic to numb the tissue - then advance and numb - advance and numb - until he reaches the channel surrounding the spinal cord. That numbs (sort of) for the 5" needles that are slowly advanced - while watching on the live X-Ray - to the exact point next to the spinal cord, where bundles of nerves branch out from between the vertebra. It's the "Discs" job to separate the vertebra - and allow the nerve bundles to exit and remain apart while the spine flexes with our movement. The nerves may branch out, and run down the legs, for instance - but mine are being pinched by damaged discs at the exit point. I had two bad ones fused in my neck years ago - and I have four bad ones in my lower back. The pinch causes swelling - making pressure on the pinched nerves. While the pinch is in my back - the nerves run to my feet. So; my feet can be numb, my legs can ache, or feel like they are being stung by bees. Other areas are effected by nerves traveling to other spots. It doesnt hurt in the back where the damage is, but at the end of the line. Actually - it hurts in the brain where the nerve signals are processed.

The Doctor seeks to reduce the pressure on the nerves. Therefore; once satisfied that his needles are in the correct location (which takes multiple adjustments) he injects a dye to make certain he's seeing things correctly - photographs things for the lawyers - and then injects a solution of steroids into the inflamed tissue.. This can all hurt like the dickens - depending upon how swollen things are - where the needles are placed, and who knows what else. The steroid, once in place; shrinks the swelling, reduces the pressure on the nerves, and allows more normal nerve conductivity with the brain and the offended area.

This proceedure can only be done every 4-6 months, or else the steroid can kill the bone. Don't think about that. You know there was a bunch of folks die this year when these exact injections, tainted - produced a spinal meningitis. Very sad. People exactly like me - went in for relief from chronic pain - and died as a result. So; I don't take it lightly. A few years back - we came close to loosing our Son when VA back surgery produced spinal meningitis. We were lucky he recovered. The spinal fluid is no place for infection. It travels to the brain - infects the surrounding tissue layer of the brain ... and that can be it. So; when I note that - yet again - I'm getting a series of injections - there's some stress associated with them. For me; they do two vertebra levels at a time. So that's 4 needles at a time. And the series is 3 sessions - two weeks between each set. It's a commitment. We have to be here to have it done. It's not optional.

I'm very fortunate that these injections are effective for me. I'm grateful to God that they keep me going. I've spoken to a number of people, personally - who have told me these injections did nothing for them. I don't know why, and cannot see how - but that's been their report. For me, I get relief that lasts for months - so I can move forward, and abuse the relief I get. Hopefully - I'll be able to get into a better routine from this past year, and my relief can last longer.

We are grateful, and looking to a better series of days. It's been quite stressful going through all of this while knowing that most folks just wonder WHAT in the world is taking so long. It's all this that I have shared. Kelly and I surely never anticipated that I'd require the levels of maintenance that I require. But - that; along with the meds - keeps me going - if not completely as good as new. The knowledge base and the skill level has never been higher. The tool box never more worn. But we keep at it. thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 03:26AM by barnespneumatic.
September 13, 2013 03:13AM
Gary,

Glad you are feeling good. Wish you all the best with the injections and pray that they will relieve you of pain.
I had a spinal performed at both my hernia operations. Amazing how a spinal inhibits the nerves. I could see my toes but no matter how hard I tried, I could not wiggle them. Took 5-6 hours to wear off and slowly my toes, feet and legs move again, thankfully.

All the best!

Pedro
September 13, 2013 03:30AM
Thanks Pedro,

That would frighten me to death - that helplessness. Note to self - if I ever need a hernia operation - beg them to put me OUT!

Thanks for commenting. smileys with beer

Gary
Anonymous User
September 13, 2013 06:32PM
Glad to hear you are feeling better.I did have the hernia operation and it was tough but not near as bad as what you are dealing with. I can tell you that i sneezed and it ripped open the wound and hurt a little!!!!
September 13, 2013 06:53PM
Ouch, tricky process! Pleased to hear it is working for you!
Cheers
Neil
September 13, 2013 07:26PM
Hi Don,

On my first carpal tunnel operation, I was frightened they'd screw up my career. So; I went to the best. Guy who had done my double neck fussion. Overkill. Well, he insisted the way to do a good job was with this great bloody open insision. And so he did. When I saw the stitches, I was convinced he used volunteer day labor to close for him. Irregular stitches. Not enough of them. Puckered skin. And - at each end it pulled open quickly. So, I glued it, as I have for forty years.

At my next post op visit - you could just tell it really PO'd the guy. I could tell by the way he ripped off the glue and stitched like he was clawing out 16 penny spikes from an old plank he was pitching. He probably didn't appreciate my repair any more then I appreciated his lousy initial work. winking smiley

The luck of the Gary.

Second carpal tunnel operation was thru a small hole, from a local Doc. Quick recovery. Half the price. No numb heal of my hand as remains from the first.

I suspect there are round table operating theaters. Big guy comes and leans over you as you are inhaling the knock out drops. Then, when you are out, they spun the room to the day labor guy who does the job. Spin you around again where you come to looking at the blurry pretty nurse (who looks a lot like the receptionist too! Hey!!!!). Then you stumble out ... Meeting the Dr. coming back into the parking lot ....

Haha.

Gary
Anonymous User
September 13, 2013 09:35PM
Sounds like a evil horror story. The mad doctor and his crazy assistant with a butcher knife. Nice to hear that you are feeling better and hope that your new people in florida are as good as the previous.
September 13, 2013 10:55PM
Thanks for explaining Gary. Makes me a more humble and grateful person. I think that's a good thing.
September 14, 2013 12:52AM
Hey Gary,

I'm glad to hear that things are going as well as can be expected with the current round of injections. It's unfortunate that you need them at all, but given the alternatives of suffering indefinitely or living in a fog of opiate painkillers it's obviously the lesser of the evils.

And as far as the tailor work goes, I doubt that many of the big-name neurosurgery guys have to do their own "closing" on a regular basis. Most of them have their understudies (interns and residents) do the "scut work" (like putting their patients back together) while they kick back to bask in the glory and remind everyone else how great they are. At least, that's how the surgical nurses typically explained it. I suppose, as they say, your mileage may vary. take a bow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021