Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Enjoyable Range Day

Enjoyable Range Day
March 22, 2009 02:39AM
After 4-6 weeks of being shut out of the range for mud, health, or weather ... it was a real treat to be able to get out today. What a perfect day for it. Temperature was just perfect. Cool enough to keep the mud solid, not cool enough to have to run the propane heater. No wind. Bright sky. Nice light.

Jerry came up this morning, and we fixed breakfast. Completed a casting mold to keep you guys in lead, and packed for the range.

a_critter.jpg

While Jerry was sighting in, I unpacked some ballistic clay. whistling Well, the stuff was just laying there. And we "needed" something to capture our bullets. hehe. We had a blast with this ridiculous gopher all day.

Coffee.jpg

Every time we just looked at it, we laughed. Here, it's trying to blend in among the coffee "stuff". It's had a hard day. This was at the end of the day, after it had taken monster hits all day. A quick "slugectomy", mash the clay back together, and it's good to go.

.457ball.jpg

A round ball we dug out of the gohper's chest at 50 yards.

Squire45.jpg

I was shooting the Squire 45. A rifle that's been here in the shop for two years, waiting to be restored (for a customer who bought it used on the net). It's ready to ship back.

ball_ballisticjell50yds.jpg

We also shot a ton of high speed video with ballistic gel today. Here's a round ball, after having penetrated about 20 inches of the gel. Note the light band oriented around the diameter of the ball. That's the rifling cuts. Note, it traveled the 50 yards, and penetrated the gel 20", and is still in the proper "bullet" orientation. No tumbling.

Jerry 029.jpg

Woodsman_Squire.jpg

The Woodsman was our prime tool once again today. We have some great video. Jerry's still driving home as I write. I'll let him do that.

PrairieIII.jpg

The Prairie 3 was also on duty all day, and was "laser guided" as always. Jerry was even shooting a 200 grain slug, from a commercial bullet mold
today, with good results.

More as we process the pics and video. Great day. We also grabbed a fine dinner out afterwards. Really enjoyed it.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 02:56AM by barnespneumatic.
March 22, 2009 04:25AM
Sounds like you guys had a great day. Glad your weather was good. Mine was wonderful here in Arizona-hehehehe!!! So what's this I hear that you made breakfast for yourselves. So--you can cook??? hehehe!!!

Can't wait to see Jerry's video's.

Kelly
March 22, 2009 02:31PM
UH oh ... I think we're busted Jerry. eye popping smiley hahah.

Well, I cook ..... a little. eye rolling smiley But, I can't do much else ... around the house, ya know .... winking smiley

Gary
March 22, 2009 04:40AM
Hi Kelly,
Yes, Gary can cook. It was a fine breakfast...ALMOST as good as one of yours but not quite, you're still the champ! smiling bouncing smiley

I'll have plenty to process tomorrow. I'm sure we've got some decent video but we definitely got some good stills. I'm still chuckling at that gopher... LOL!
March 22, 2009 05:26AM
Well guys, it's nice that someone got out today, it rained all weekend heresad smiley
But Gary, it's hardly fair that you made that gopher stand up in that pose inviting to be shotshooter
Lookin' forward to Jerry's films.......

Neil
March 22, 2009 02:33PM
Oh ... POOR Neil. It rained in Paradise. hehe. winking smiley

Hey ... you have to have a door or window in that house somewhere. hehe.

Gary
March 22, 2009 08:16AM
Good to see the Squire 45 out seeing the light of day again...wasn't that one of the first of the V-twin series? The Woodsman looks like a carbine next to it, or is it more like a trick of the camera angle?
March 22, 2009 02:23PM
Hi Rotor,

Yeah ... I noticed that too. A very effective optical illusion. The guns are very nearly the same length. One was propped with the muzzle up, and the other with the muzzle down. So happened my angle, seemed to place the muzzles at the same starting line. Really a wierd illusion.

Gary
March 22, 2009 03:35PM
Gary/Jerry,

The muzzle loading blackpowder crowd probably know roundball doesn't tumble but I'll bet few others do. That picture of the ball suspended in the gel after a fifty yard flight is quite instructional. Bet Harry in Australia would love to see it.

Lon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021