Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Barnes "ALLOY" Class

Barnes "ALLOY" Class
March 26, 2014 11:29PM
When you make artifacts that are intended to last for at least a hundred years .... the parts don't go stale. I have parts in the shop that I began 34 years ago, and more. I can't always use each part. I make extra for efficiency. Right now, I'm drawing parts from my inventory. This will result in completed artifacts that were begun at BPN and completed at BPS. I wanted a way to honor these interesting hybrid works.

I thought long and hard, regarding a strong term which indicated a blend of individual components which yields a stronger homogenous unit. I decided upon using the term "Alloy". Being a Master Bladesmith (American Bladesmith's Society issued Oct., 1983) ... It seemed even more valid.

image.jpg

I have marked the first completed unit such.

image.jpg

This fine knife was sold after being seen on this site.

image.jpg

I am completing "Alloy #2" right now.

image.jpg

Hope you enjoy the story. take a bow

Gary
March 26, 2014 11:59PM
And a master blade smith you are. ! I wish I had known you back in your hay day of knife making.I was never a collector of knifes but always liked the best . Just recently have I come to appreciate some of the finer blade smiths in America and I believe as a youngster you set the bar . I am amazed at the price some old knifes bring but NOW know the effort involved in them. I bought an anvil and hammers and a smithing book thinking I could learn but just haven't found the time and energy . I'll bet whoever gets one of your Alloy knifes will have the cleanest finger nails in town . Thanks for returning to at least a limited run of knives . I sure would like to see more . Do you know the name of the knife museum some of those artifacts are at?
March 27, 2014 12:01AM
Beautiful work Gary. The engraving and jigged bone inlays are stunning.
March 27, 2014 03:35AM
Love those knives Gary! Glad you've gotten a chance to get some of those treasures you uncovered in the move put together.
March 27, 2014 03:43PM
Nice!thumbs up And "alloy" seems like a good name for the BPN / BPS projects, certainly less engraving than "Yankee / Gulf-Coast hybrids" to get the point across.winking smiley

Is that a dark stone on the blade lock button, or a trick of the lighting?
March 27, 2014 04:00PM
Thanks Sean,

Shadow there.

The "buttons" are tool steel. Recessed below the level of the case.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021