Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The Day

The Day
May 08, 2014 05:12AM
Was one of those days. You have them. I do too.

Have had to re-do and re-establish everything down here. Not near done yet.

Well, I met one of my new Doctors today. After endless hours of prep. Let me just say .... R-O-U-G-H. Justifying every decision ever made regarding my health, by any previous Doc or myself.

Earlier in the day I was milling casting mold die blocks. "How many dozen did you do?" "Guess you are all caught up now - huh?" .... Yeah. Report ... the cherry did NOT break yet. It is cutting cleanly. It takes forever to make the blocks themselves. My machinery was made to utilize a certain size of solid aluminum billet. The cast iron comes in a rough format of a different size with NO straight sides or square corners. In fact - it appears to have been bandsawed from plate. No ... if I'd have found the ideal size and shape ....

And ... yes - some manufactures used to sell blanks. For about 90% of what I charge for the mold ... and they were wrong for the tooling. I don't know the full extent of all offerings today. But - when I make the blocks - they fit. And the guides are tight. And they are square. But - they take time.

Just a few comments. Hope yours was good. Tomorrow - more dirt arrives first thing in the am. Materials to fortify against the weekend. Ha! Some people just mow their yards ... HAH!!!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 01:03PM by barnespneumatic.
May 08, 2014 11:10PM
Hi Gary!

Thanks for posting and sorry for the cast iron request...probably, the juice isn't worth the squeeze!

Anyhow, it must be an interesting transition to go from dirt moving to metal cutting. My day wasn't great but going from fighting one stupid idea to fighting another stupid idea is not that big a transition!
May 09, 2014 01:45AM
Not my intention - sorry. I like the cast iron ... Just a bunch of work. But lasts forever. I know you guys WILL use it - so I don't mind.

Gary
May 09, 2014 04:43PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not my intention - sorry. I like the cast iron ...
> Just a bunch of work. But lasts forever. I know
> you guys WILL use it - so I don't mind.
>
> Gary

Thank you for all the quality things you make for us Gary. We love you HQ stuff bowing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021