Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Coffee Break Project

Coffee Break Project
June 01, 2014 05:04AM
image.jpg

When I assemble a knife to carry - its often because I have a good blade with a slight problem which does let it qualify for signature work. I can't afford to keep signature stuff.

I had this Wire Damascus Steel forged Mdl. 97 blade where, somehow during grinding; I'd reduced the radius from the center of the hole to the edge of the tang. That met that a part that rode on that outer flat at times, could bind and slip over the rim of the tang. That locked the blade travel. I didn't think it would be a problem - but it became more and more annoying. Today I'd had enough. This manner of "dovetailing" metal to the existing tang, occured to me. Its not welded ot soldered. Just a mechanical fit thst cant escape due to placement. I added the metal, then recutting the radius.

Worked fine.

Gary.
June 01, 2014 01:23PM
The additional metal caught my eye immediately. I thought from the picture that the text might be about the tooling but was happy to read the explanation. Thanks for posting that.
June 01, 2014 02:59PM
Hi Gary,

Please explain the color on the blade and is that a dragon in the back? Cool!

Nice work, please present to us a picture of the finished knife, you know, there is always someone interested in taking it away from you.

julio
June 01, 2014 05:42PM
Hi Julio,

Good to hear from you!

The color you are noticing is a reflection. The blade is Damascus but not yet exposed to the acid bath (in an effort to keep someone from buying it ... Haha). winking smiley. Therefore; it doesn't show a grain structure. It's polished bright.

The added metal is nickel silver. That has a slightly yellow tint compared to steel.

The case currently has blue bone scales but - as you know - the inlays are standardized in size and shape. I could replace them. I have some nice blue Mammoth Ivory! Make a great shop knife!! Hehe. wink

The dragon is in Sterling Silver. In a box of as yet unused impressions from one of my tool steel dies. winking smiley

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 07:24PM by barnespneumatic.
June 02, 2014 12:41AM
Mammoth ivory... It will certainly make a great shop knife. The obligated question is: How long do you want to keep it in your holster?

Julio
June 02, 2014 03:31AM
Hi Julio,

image.jpg

Ahhhh ... Mine's Plain Jane. You don't want that old thing.

The parts for the Pretty Ones are hanging on the wall, and in bins.

Gary
June 02, 2014 05:35AM
There were so many distractions in that picture I didn't even notice.

Why did you value the blade enough to dedicate that kind of time to it? What is the time difference to make a new blade. I've been watching videos on knife making, been thinking about toying with it.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 05:42AM by Bigbore.
June 02, 2014 03:13PM
Hi Lon,

Difference is roughly an hour to fix or two days to make a new one.

That's IF I had a forging shop set up. Mine is still on pallets.

That is a forge welded wire Damascus blade.

And - making that one usable gives "me" a blade which I'm unlikely to sell. I consider it to be a curiosity that works. Not a signature quality part.

winking smiley. Thanks
Gary
June 02, 2014 01:43PM
Hi Gary,

Nice piece. Sometimes plane and simple is good. Thanks for showing it to us.

Julio
June 04, 2014 05:16PM
Nice post. My first thought was "holy cow, did he really just cut three dove-tails into knife steel?". eye popping smileyThe answer, obviously, is yes...wow.

I thought it might be some exotic form of hard-facing, but the fact that it's a build-up for a re-fit makes more sense. I'm sure that most smiths would have scrapped it or re-worked it into a smaller blade, or just welded it up and ground it back down. Nice solution, and I hope you can keep it.laughing again

BTW, that "splinter pick" blade form is incredibly handy for a small pocket knife. I've got a couple Ken Onion 'Leek' model knives with a very similar blade shape, and I use them all the time. Most pocket knives these days have blades that are too thick and bulky for fine work, it's like they expect us to all be chopping through bones or skinning elephants all the time. A thin blade with a super-fine tip and a very flat hollow grind will slip right through stuff with far less effort than those bulky "tactical knives" will.

You do have to be careful not to pry with them of course, or you'll break the tip right off. But then, that's what Harbor Fright screwdrivers are for, of course. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 05:27PM by rotorhead.
Sal
June 05, 2014 12:44AM
I always break the tips off my knives... I guess I need a less pointy daily knife.
Really nice work Gary!
June 05, 2014 05:29PM
Hello Sal,

Either that, or keep a pocket multi-tool handy, and use that for prying instead.
June 06, 2014 08:42PM
A great, relatively simple solution for a frustrating problem.
Given it's a Barnes, I would carry it...
Keep this one for yourself Gary. Don't let me, or anyone else, talk you out of it, no matter how hard we try.
nowthatIthink

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021