Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Workbench Pictures

Workbench Pictures
June 04, 2014 03:15AM
Some of the projects that were on my bench today ...

image.jpg

Two casting molds and Barnes handles. One was in for tuning the venting. The other is new. They went out today.

image.jpg

Was a beautiful walk back to the shop after dinner, about 7pm.

image.jpg

One of my clients has been waiting for years, to have me restore a Barnes pocketknife he bought online, and has carried as his daily knife. It had badly cracked bone handles.

image.jpg

I disassembled the knife last week. Removed the cracked scales. I cut bone slabs from cow shin bone. Flattened it. Fitted the new scales in place on the frame.

image.jpg

The knife is Serial Number 108 completed 7-11-79. i made it in Braddock Heights, Maryland. That's the rented home that burned while I was away at a knife show. This was the 9th knife I made there IIRC.

The milled circles are minor upgrades of integral bearing surfaces for the slip joint folder.

Gary
June 04, 2014 04:29PM
Wow Gary it's amazing to see one of your earlier knives and showing not much wear for a daily carry. That's quality at its best. It must be great for the owner to receive this knife looking like new again.
June 04, 2014 04:50PM
Looks like the biblical catastrophes are finally giving you a break, weather-wise. Must be a relief.smiling bouncing smiley

I've often wondered, why do your mold handles close at the far end, instead of being the "scissor" type?
June 04, 2014 07:00PM
Geometry Sean.

The accuracy of a mold is very much in the handles. The arms need to pivot flat. The blocks should open and close as flat as possible. Pin and socket wear is minimized by the blocks closing flat and engaging accurately, instead of shearing together because the blocks are so close to the pivot hinge. The traditional rattle/slop closing of molds doesn't suit my needs.

The commercal handles I've used all needed reworking. They needed surface grinding, and tightening. Drilling and tapping. I'd buy them and then start rebuilding them. That's jack.

And so, the young man sat off to design the perfect casting mold handles. With a dead flat heavy pivot hinge. And he labored happily ever after. winking smiley

Gary
June 04, 2014 09:26PM
Lead soups on!
June 04, 2014 09:56PM
They arrive already?
June 04, 2014 11:01PM
Naw, just getting ready!
June 05, 2014 05:33PM
Makes sense. I suppose any mis-alignment in the mold blocks would give you excessive flashing and slightly off-center projectiles, neither of which is good for accuracy. Do you ever use locating pins in the blocks themselves? I can't recall seeing any in past photos.
June 05, 2014 08:56PM
Hi Sean,

All blocks have locating pins. Yes. Always have.

Any "flashing" would mean something is horribly wrong. The mold would be adjusted or designated as ruined.

The only projections after casting may be tiny "whiskers" from the small venting veins surrounding each cavity.

Gary
June 06, 2014 04:33PM
Is one of them for me smiling smiley ?
June 06, 2014 08:48PM
After seeing the completed picture of the knife, I was curious how the process of making the scales worked. Thanks for the photos.
I know the guy who gets to carry that knife again will be very happy when it arrives.
It is amazing how well that knife, including the blade, has worn since 1979. Great craftsmanship does matter.

Scott
June 09, 2014 12:02AM
Hi Scott,
It's always enjoyable to see older work again. I remember working on most of it. Always amazed how much work I've done since.
Good traditional materials and methods yield items that will last a lifetime or more.
smileys with beer
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021