Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Completed Project

Completed Project
June 05, 2014 04:27PM
Pocket Folder from 1979 repaired for Airgun customer.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've posted the progress pics. Hope you enjoyed seeing the completed knife.

Thanks for reading.

Gary
June 05, 2014 04:47PM
Hi Gary,

I'm Impressed. I bet that this knife looks better now than when you originally built it. Good for the owner!!!

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

julio
June 05, 2014 08:52PM
It's assembled using a raised/domed rivet technique. More classy. Requires the pin to be riveted over - by hand - in a round pattern - without hitting and busting the handle material. Then it's polished into a domed head. It's an acquired technique. Especially risky on Mother of Pearl scales. I remember teaching a knifemaker to do this once and you'd have thought I rescued him from the jungle. winking smiley.

Stuff you learn. Some people will see it and marvel. Others won't even see it.

Yes. The knife is doing ok now. I probably got $60-80 for it when it was first made. winking smiley

Gary
June 06, 2014 06:37AM
Gary,

I would have gladly paid $80 for that in '80.

Nice. I like the scales. I think I'm going to upgrade the scales on some cheap knives just to stick my toe in the water.

Ever meet W F Moran?

Lon
June 06, 2014 01:30PM
Hi Lon,

Hope you enjoy it. Good luck.

Yes, I knew Bill Moran. He did the testing when I earned my Master Smith Ticket.

In 74/75 - I bought a book on knives. In the book - there was a listing for a Bill Moran in Frederick, Md. I didn't know who he was. I just called - then stopped by his shop with some of my work. We became friends for a number of years.

Gary
June 05, 2014 11:39PM
Nice . . . I really like that one. thumbs up

I am the proud owner of Barnes knife #1308. It is a "contemporary" all-stainless pocket knife Gary made some years back with a unique locking mechanism. I know Gary wants everything he makes to be used as much as possible. As I fly too much these days and don't want to lose the piece to the TSA by forgetting that it's in my pocket, the knife has been gracing my company's small "shipping department" where it's used a few times a week to open whatever boxes might come in. Inglorious? Perhaps a little . . . BUT it's being used, and everyone who sees it asks, "what is THAT?" smileys with beer

-- Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 11:49PM by admin.
June 06, 2014 12:15AM
Hi Jim,

Excellent! An Honorable usage. bowing -- Far East

That's a "Vixen" model. Toggle Lock Channel Folder. To my knowledge, an invention of mine.

Yes ... The TSA already has enough Barnes Knives. winking smiley

Gary
June 06, 2014 08:34PM
That knife looks great! The new, stained bone scales should last another 30 years, at least. Those rivets are nothing like the cheap stuff in the big box stores.
I have a couple of Barnes knives. I have used one enough to wear out one of the scales. It is amazing that when knives are made well, they hold an edge better and are more useful than most of the mass manufactured cr@p that is out there.

Scott
June 07, 2014 12:59AM
What was old and used looks new again. Nice looking refurb.
June 07, 2014 01:11AM
Thanks Mike,

Can you believe I have made over 1,300 knives, and this on one of the most traditional. Wow - no wonder I look like this! Haha.

Gary
June 07, 2014 06:57PM
Hi Gary,

That is a ton of creativity in 1,300 knives. It boggles the mind to even try and put that into perspective. Thanks for sharing your work.
June 08, 2014 08:01PM
So...am I the only one that's still disgusted with the TSA's decison to back off from their proposal to allow small knives onboard airlines again? For a short, shining moment it seemed like common sense might prevail, but then the whole idea is torpedoed by, of all things, the flight attendants union?!? And then we never hear another word about it, the nanny-state wins yet again.moody smiley

I wonder what the monetary value of all those confiscated knives would be? Probably astronomical.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021