Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Pics

Pics
June 14, 2014 06:47PM
image.jpg

This is a row of machine lathe tool bit holders. Each one holds a specially shaped tool bit. Each bit is either carbide or high speed tool steel. Some specially made by the old man. They must each be sharpened to the correct geometry, on a diamond wet grinding wheel. Each set up at the correct height for the tool and must be adjusted to the correct angle when affixed to the lathe tool post on the cross carriage. The lathe must be set to the proper speed. The feed rates must be correctly known and set. Each tool will have a max cutting depth for each pass. Get ANY of these variables wrong - and you break the tool bit, or make an incorrect cut. This usually also ruins the part as breakage occurs during a cut under machine feed. A ragged cut might gall the metal or promote a chatter. Mess up one operation and any of the previous twenty operations on said part have to repeated on a freshly prepared billet. The operator must have all of this information at his knowledge, and be able to set up the machine without laboring over each step. This is all BEFORE he gives attention to the exact dimensions he's cutting. There is nobody else here to double check or ask questions.

Most of these tools are used on every part - at some point of the build. Otherwise - they would not be on deck. These are just the tools on THIS lathe. This does not cover the other machine lathes, the drill press, or the two milling machines. They all have their own tool bits and cutters with holders. Most machined parts use several of these major tools and a host of bits, jigs, and fixtures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Coffee break work. Hand cut and folded hinges. This Expedition case is nearly complete. I'd hoped to have it for sale for someone to consider for a Father's Day gift. Didnt happen. But it is for sale. Complete soon. Ask if interested. $365us. (NOW SOLD - thank you very much!)

image.jpg

Our Grandsons are here this week. Keeping Nana busy. She is loving it. As you can see - one unfortunately suffered some imaginary injury. winking smiley

Thks for reading.
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 07:20PM by barnespneumatic.
June 14, 2014 07:02PM
Put SOLD on that case Gary. Can I put the check in the mail?

Kent
June 14, 2014 07:17PM
You bet Kent.

Thanks very much!

Happy Father's Day!!! USA!  USA!

Gary
June 14, 2014 10:14PM
Very cool Gary . That is an awfull lot tooling. I remember when I was going thru some of my lathe parts a turrit tool holder that held maybe 5-6 cutters. It was pretty rusty and I soaked it in vinegar and it ate most of the oxidation off . But .... 3 carbides was the most I ever had in it at any given time . Those you have out looks like one heck of a big job with lotta set ups. I can appreciate all the work and talent it takes not only to run the machines correctly but the design and reasearch and development of a Barnes ! Thanks
June 15, 2014 12:34AM
I got a big story going Kurt. You will like it all.

Gotta eat dinner and catch a breath. Maybe I'll write some in a bit. Thank you. It's nice to hear from folks who see the work in the work. take a bow

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021