Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 50 Caliber Barnes Raptor

50 Caliber Barnes Raptor
June 18, 2014 05:03AM
I will be developing a copy of my Raptor Slug, in 50 caliber. I will optimize it for my new 50 caliber. So happens - that is right in the middle of typical 50 caliber size. If you look up 50 caliber round ball - you will find them from about .490" - 520".

If all goes well, I will most likely be releasing the Raptor 50 for Public Sale. That may be of interest to many of you with other 50 caliber Big Bore PCP rifles. thumbs up

Been a long day. More later.

Best,
Gary
June 18, 2014 11:24AM
Wow ! Very exciting stuff. You must be burning the oil big time. I really like the ( down the barrel shot) pun intended . The camera shot showed grooves really nice so you could almost count them.
June 18, 2014 06:19PM
Hello Gray...When you offer this rifle to the public and customer orders one from you how long will it take to complete the order for shipping...kind regards, Allen.
June 18, 2014 07:31PM
Hello Allen,

No orders. It will be a purchase from stock only. Only what I'd have, when I'd have it. Once I sell the Maryland property, most of my time will be in clearing the existing ledger. That's why I said this time is unique opportunity. winking smiley

Be Well,
Gary
June 19, 2014 01:54AM
Hello Gary,

Very intriqued by what you are doing. You mentioned this is your first 50 Cal rifle. May I asked why you have waited so long to impliment this caliber?

Hope you are doing well health wise.

God Bless,

Pedro
June 19, 2014 02:43AM
Hello Pedro,

Partly, because the entire rest of the world has made 50 caliber rifles. From the beginning, I've made "custom" rifles in the strictest sense of the word. Lock, Stock, Barrel, Receiver, Hardware, Bullet Molds, etc. Nearly every number you can mention between 17 and 100, has had a rifle cut to that caliber. As you know, there is .25, .27, .30, .308, .356. .357. .9mm, 10mm, 40 cal, 44, 45 ..... and nobody questions that. However; the one caliber that seems special is 50.

Now ... I didn't make it before ... because I spent a lot of time proving that I could make any caliber achieve extremely accurate performance. "Extremely" accurate. And, I've done it by proving that I could make extremely accurate ammo for my barrels. That is a specialty craft. Builders don't often get involved in providing the perfect ammo for their rifles. I did. Everybody wanted box ammo to try in my rifles. But my purpose was to prove what I was developing and proofing. People were not going to go out and buy box ammo for 34 caliber and 46 caliber. But the targets I was printing, were excellent. Ammo was available. Tooling to make the ammo was available. Custom casting services were available. Nobody was buying my custom built rifles in order to save money. There was no need to build my amazing custom rifle to fit some company's cheap ammo. Commercial companies who's ammo fit my 32 rifles both went out of business (Bull-X) and dropped production of ammo for my guns (Hornady's 32 buckshot). It didn't matter to me, or my clients. I'd already provided accurate tooling, ammo, and services.

Now ... if there will ever be a thrill for box ammo ... it will be 50 caliber. There must be a thousand types. I will make a few of my own - one commercial one to start - the Raptor. But shooters can try anything they want. Early on, (say 1996), I didn't want someone go get one of my guns and go straight to Walmart for a bubble pack of 50 caliber lead. Shoot a few - miss everything - and claim Barnes guns don't shoot well. At this point in 2014; I have nothing else to prove regarding the accuracy of my barrels or my slugs. I'll make the 50 caliber barrel - and if it doesn't shoot well with a dozen different box ammo brands - it won't be my fault. I didn't build it for a certain brand. By now - I've proven that if the slug fits, and is of a proper design for the gun, it will shoot well.

Thanks for asking! The 50 is here. It's a true 50. Bottom of the groove is .50" Hope we get reports on what shoots well.

smileys with beer

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2014 04:48AM by barnespneumatic.
June 20, 2014 04:18AM
Gary,

Thanks for the detailed response. You have definitely proved that your guns are super accurate! Makes perfect sense now that someone could buy your rifle and cheap ammo and complain that the accuracy isn't there!

Thanks again for sharing the why!

Pedro
June 20, 2014 04:48AM
Anonymous User
June 20, 2014 10:49PM
Gone for a week, and missed everything!
June 22, 2014 06:43PM
Well Don, this is a "happen in' " place! Busy busy busy! Lots to see. Snooze ya loose and all that. Haha. winking smiley

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021