Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: FIRST FIRE 50!

FIRST FIRE 50!
June 25, 2014 11:01PM
I pushed the test a bit. Thought you guys were curious. The slide breech isn't quite finished. There's no stock. The bullet mold isn't made, or slugs cast. BUT ... I found some .530" round ball. I had a pc. of barrel cutting. Used it to size the round ball. The barrel threads off - I had chambered it ... So I loaded the breech, and threaded the barrel back on. wow

I dragged the stuff outside. Got the chronograph. Went to look for that plywood baffle set I'd recorded some early shots on. (Never found it - storm building - had to quit looking). I was in the lower shop when a mighty thunder clap struck!!!! Whoooh! Hey - right on time!! Haha. Better get this test done before I get fried!

Well, I found a chunk if 2 by, treated plank. Set up the chrono. Turned it on. Dead battery. Sure. eye rolling smiley

Went on a hunt. Found two more!!! Thunder rolling. Sky looks like the Apocalypse! Bring it ... chainsaw

Tried the first battery. Dead. whistling

Tried the last battery as thunder clapped - still off a ways. (Yeah - I know - it can get you from over the horizon
- I expect it in fact). Last battery worked. Green bowing

I set up. 3,000 psi. Buck Slug was 222.5 grains. Line up. BANG!!!! Was that the 50 or Thunder and Lightening?!! Well - I'm asking so must have been the 50.

788 fps. 222.5 grains. 307 foot pounds. scholar Exactly what I'd set as a goal. I'd said 300-350 foot pounds. A ball will always give you the lowest fpe per caliber. When I get my Raptor slug it will hit 350 fpe easily.

The pics will be obvious without captions. I have to pick up Kelly. Yay.

Hope you enjoyed a look see. winking smiley. It's a winner of a project. Must have been inspired. winking smiley

Gary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 04:40AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
June 25, 2014 11:15PM
Yeah ... I know. (Told you I'm not showing the raw action without a stock.). It's gonna look like a rifle. winking smiley

What you are buying is that little part that certifies it as "Barnes". And for 1999 prices! You guess if those will stay.

3 left.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 04:32AM by barnespneumatic.
June 26, 2014 04:34AM
Most of my posts are made via my iPhone, during the day. I miss typos on the tiny screen. Therefore; I go back later and clean up things that need correcting. They may be clear - but just sound awkward.

typing

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 04:43AM by barnespneumatic.
June 25, 2014 11:25PM
Hmmmm, hit the target power on the first shot. Now I'm really worried! It sure looks like you've done this before.
June 26, 2014 04:48AM
Hi Jerry,

Have no fear - things are falling apart elsewhere. Maryland is a disaster. And, during a storm a couple of days ago ... While rain was running rivers ... the truck would not shift into 4WD. And, applying the brake - I felt the seal release and the pedal went to the floor. It's all going ... "swimmingly" Help!

You know the Barnes Moto ... "Work Today to regain the position you held yesterday!" pushingarock

smileys with beer

Gary
June 26, 2014 01:21AM
Nice . . . well done. And we know you've been doing this long enough to know beforehand within pretty tight tolerance what that power range is gonna be. shooter Regardless . . . first fire of a 100% handmade big bore air rifle is always something to be celebrated. smileys with beer Well done, Gary.

I am pleased that the "wood burning shop calculator" survived the trip to BPS. Old school indeed. typing I have a list of "items" from your old shop that stand out in my head . . . that is one of them for some weird reason.

-- Jim
June 26, 2014 04:06AM
Ha! Me too, Jim.

I love that thing. What a product. I know that is most likely from 1974 - maybe 72. What a product! Won't see many products made like that again.

Thanks for commenting.

Gary
June 26, 2014 01:26AM
Well - going for the desired smaller scale, I designed this with a 24" barrel. There were quite a few judgement calls made. And, it came in dead on target. Neat.
June 26, 2014 03:07AM
Very nice going Gary and you beat the storm to boot. Looks like nice power from your round ball projectile as evidence of the backstop carnage.
June 27, 2014 04:33AM
Gary,

Good to know that the required bad luck is staying out of the shop! Anybody can get their brakes fixed...

Jim,

Remember the crazy glue? That was....interesting!
June 27, 2014 05:42AM
Made the cherry for the 50 Raptor today!

Will cut a test mold tomorrow.

Gary
June 27, 2014 12:02PM
The anticipation is killing me! why me

Need to get as much work done as possible. Going to need to take a day or two off for range time before deer season. shooter

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021