Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: "OUTRIDER 50"

"OUTRIDER 50"
June 27, 2014 07:40PM
image.jpg

"OUTRIDER 50"

This is the new addition to the Barnes line. It's the first new direction introduced from BPS.

This is the action test fired Wednesday evening. Yesterday I made the "Cherry" machine cutter for the 50 caliber Raptor slug.

As you can see, the new action is shown with a cardboard stock. For just one dollar more, you may upgrade to a wooden stock (from my inventory).

winking smiley

Since I had to make the pattern for the stock, I though you might like to see the profile.

It's a fine rifle. Front barrel band is not in place either. Slide Breech not in place. I figured I needed a pic for you to know what I've been talking about. winking smiley

Price Complete: $4,000us. 300-350 fpe. Testing in process. 3 units left in the initial first 5 introduction.

Gary take a bow
June 27, 2014 08:49PM
Great stuff Gary bowing
June 27, 2014 10:24PM
Classic GB look and 100% handmade. What's not to like. Probably only an indoor range gun with current stock though. Recoil could be interesting.
June 27, 2014 10:58PM
Best looking cardboard ever!
June 28, 2014 12:21AM
Looks like the 50 is coming along well. Thanks for the update!
June 28, 2014 04:20PM
There will be different stock shapes on different batches of rifles. The same action will make this possible. The purpose is not to confuse the model - (which is easy if you've ever seen them answer questions ... whistling ) but to make different designs for different purposes.

ALSO- I found that I have a great quantity of nicely cut, milled, dried, and rough profiled stock blanks. And - this particular pattern hardly fits any of them. knucklehead. So; I shall experiment. An inch off the forestock, or a shorter pistol grip makes all the difference.

I know that, for many readers, the stock is 99.963% of any rifle. Please try to give an old man a break. This is what I saw in the cardboard I had on hand ... Haha ... Perhaps I can buy another shop light to provide cardboard for alternative designs. Another idea!

Gary
June 28, 2014 04:32PM
I love the grain. If I send you an extra Sharpie, can you make a more figured stock? wink

-- Jim
June 28, 2014 09:32PM
Thank you Jim,

Yes - I could do burl ... Maybe even a bit of silver wire inlay with one of those metalic paint pens .... Hummm.

Hey - would look good on the wall!

winking smiley

Gary
June 28, 2014 10:43PM
That is turning out to be quite a respectable piece. I expect the whitetail will appreciate the effort you're putting into it, cardboard and all.
shooterrudolph
I know the dinner table will! grinning smiley
(We seem to be lacking a venison steak smiley)

Scott
June 29, 2014 01:26AM
Is That proto type a corrigated folding stock ? Haha ! You never seem to amaze me with talent. Just drawing out and cutting out template I understand but even the grain ? And it looks good to boot . All keeping the excitement fresh . I have to believe that it helps the creative process . With this run of airguns your producing , do I understand correctly that certain seals and o~rings are sealed internally in components that are tack welded together in a jig ? I have never had a big bore let alone work on one but have to imagine the concepts are mostly the same. One other thing I always wondered is why the barrels on most big bores areso far above the HPA / compression tube ? Most of the small airguns have them touching with very minimal distance.
June 29, 2014 02:11AM
Hi Kurt,

Good man - GREAT QUESTIONS.

1). Are there Seals inside some components that are then tack welded together afterwards?
Answer: There is a machinist term which I'm sure you know, which would apply to any mechanism designed in such a manner. I believe the Latin is .... JUNK!!!!!!!

take a bow

I would not be caught dead building anything that could never be 1). Serviced. 2). Adjusted. 3). Restored.

It is the housings which are jigged up and welded. They are accessible for service. All seals are replaceable.

2). Why does the barrel stand off the reservoir?

Because - in the next super secret round of offerings, I will disclose that I'm going to offer different barrel caliber kits, which may be customer installed. AND - some will come with welded integral moderators! That space is for the diameter of the moderator tube!! AND - I might some day offer a fatty pressure reservoir that threads onto this action. That space would be for such.

Now ... I'm not ready to mention this stuff ... So DO NOT TELL or I will KNOW where people found out!!! winking smiley

Gary
June 30, 2014 11:51AM
Gary,

Even though an integral moderator tube would not make a .50 cal "quiet", how much do you think it would reduce the report? I recently shot a .300 Win. Mag that was suppressed. It was not quiet, but I was surprised how much easier it was on the ears than the unsuppressed version.
Just curious,

Scott
June 30, 2014 02:55PM
So .... Did Kurt tell you about this? why me. I told him to keep it on the down low ... winking smiley

It would make a huge difference. You would, however; have to have the moderator considerably longer then the muzzle. My policy has always been to moderate the smaller calibers. Fear has been that, if I'd make the big ones quiet, people couldn't resist just taking a few shots at home. Thru the neighbor's fence, and the next neighbor's fence, and the next .... stopping by holing a fiberglass boat a block away. whistling. Ooooops.

Putting a nice quiet 25 on this action would be sweet!

Gary
July 01, 2014 01:24AM
I wouldn't have to tell anyone if I had a moderated .50. lipsaresealed
I have a moderated 25, and I know how much I like it! wow
Maybe something to consider for an auxiliary barrel in the future....

Scott
July 02, 2014 08:40PM
Good observations there on the moderators, there is definitely a point of diminishing returns as far as bore diameter goes. Larger calibers are far more difficult to effectively quiet compared to the small bores, though it always helps to tame the initial muzzle blast no matter what you're shooting. And yes, if there was such a thing as a very quiet big-bore it would be very tempting to shoot it in inappropriate situations and locations. Probably best to leave that particular sleeping dog lie, so as not to attract unwanted scrutiny from officialdom.

In a rational world, sound suppressors and moderators would be encouraged, instead of tightly regulated. I can't think of any other machine where unwanted noise is considered a desirable quality, with the possible exception of over-priced motorcycles in the hands of inconsiderate egotists.eye rolling smiley
July 03, 2014 04:09AM
Common Sean .... Think .....

Ya have Monster trucks! No audience for electric monster trucks ..... why me

You have Stunt Planes .... WhaaaaaaaaaaaahhhHHHHHH!!!!!!vvvtarget plane

Racing Chain Saws .... GgggRRRRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! chainsaw

5 yr oldes ...... excited

Lots of stuff ya just ruin if you quiet them down!!! heheheh
July 03, 2014 07:02AM
And the most important LOUD FIREWORKS wouldn't be the same with no report.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021