Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: So I was sitting there ...

So I was sitting there ...
July 11, 2014 02:25PM
with coffee. coffee. Kelly's looking at her laptop. Im looking at the blank page of the forum. In an unconscious manner ... I began my traditional rant .... why me. All this material about the Outrider. The proof of the slugs. And ... Everybody is waiting for the darned stock. The STOCK. The absolute least of any work put into the rifle. It's wood. You can cut wood with a plastic picnic knife. To make a pneumatic system which will accurately fire a projectile - from STEEL??!! Well - thats nice. But WOOD! self-hammer. Now THERE is the ticket! There's a fixation with the stock. Nothing else matters .... huh .... what did you say ... ??

"I said, they're men."

What?

"They're men."

And?

"They're fixated on the stock. The stock is boobs. They're men - nothing else matters".

stunned

"That actually makes sense".
Sal
July 11, 2014 05:20PM
Funny but true. Don't forget the legs!
July 12, 2014 05:42AM
The stock is going to have boobs! WOW, I can't wait.

Lon
July 12, 2014 06:07AM
I told you that Angelina carving was going to be a hit!
Sal
July 12, 2014 02:32PM
I'll take two!
July 12, 2014 02:48PM
Gary,

I wonder why the focus would be on the stock? Perhaps it is due to the stock being the decorative part of the rifle that really provides character? That said, with all the engraving and detail, the stock isn't the only decorative part.

I wonder if it has to do with general knowledge of what custom machining actually is. CNC machining is all over youtube. Do people become accustomed to thinking that a computer does everything? The CNC mill is only the tool, it will only cut what it is programmed to. Mistakes can still happen as it is still operator input for the most part.

I can appreciate the thought, machining, design and trials that you have gone through perfecting your rifles. Having tried making a barrel I can see the many challenges, knowledge, experience that is required to make something accurate.

Pedro
July 12, 2014 03:22PM
Thanks Pedro,

BTW - I just answered your benchcraft post.

Part of the reason here, is that people have some experience with working wood. Most don't work metal. And yes - all you see on TV is a CNC driven booth mill spraying coolant and happily spitting out completed parts. The other TV experience is one I saw last night. Blacksmith banging on a pc of glowing steel bar with a hammer. Accomplishing nothing but denting it for the camera. Behind him was an "Air Hammer". Pneumatic device that will strike steel with the sound and speed of a machine gun. THAT is what the guy uses when the camera is off. Behind and beside him was an enormous hydraulic bending, punching, shear. In camera - they would show him hot punching with a chistle. Point being - they MUST lie - either way, or they won't show anything.

I don't have any CNC equipment. I don't even have any digital readout indicators on carriages. I have three digital calipers - all with dead batteries - in a drawer someplace. My Mititoyo mechanical calipers work very well. Now, I'm not some "off the grid Crusader" - I just can't afford any better equipment. But I know how to use what I have. I also make the parts that are missing. I STILL want to chew ball bearings when I read of any CUSTOM GUNSMITH who orders in 99.99999% of his parts and then has to file a few strokes (poor baby) to get the parts to engage. When I manufacture 99.99999% of my parts - I ought to have the TV spot. But I'd never be able to fake the fake drama. "Hurry, Hurry, Hurry - the Meteror is going to strike in 12 minutes. While the Narrator is warning "... If Gary cannot finish the carving on this 58 Bison in the next 11 minutes, then Billy Bob will not be able to shoot the Meteror from the sky - and all human life on planet Earth will be extinguished!" See - I just have a poor attitude .... knucklehead

Gary
July 12, 2014 03:31PM
I was told long ago, learn to make things with what you have. If you cannot do it, then last resort is outsource. If I had to work the way my dad grew up, I am so far behind with the skill set they developed.

My grandfather was dirt poor. But he had enough old equipment that things could be built on the farm. Dad loves telling how the tractor engine piston blew. They collected scrap aluminum, made a rough mold, then lathed a new piston almost 11" in diameter. It worked in the end. Why didn't they just buy a piston? They couldn't. No parts in Mexico, they had to use what they had on hand.

I would watch a show featuring you building without any drama, haha. I hate the stupid drama. Everyone is always working long hours, overnight, to try to meet some stupid deadline. Surprised those employees do not quit!!

Pedro
July 12, 2014 07:26PM
Ah, we men are so shallow! For me though, it's not so much the stock as the completed gun. Who wants to see a picture of a beautiful blond with an old pair of hairy legs grafted on?eye popping smiley
Hehe
Neil
July 13, 2014 01:46PM
I have to agree with Neil, the completed project is the most attractive! wow
But, the reason I haven't been around this week is that my partner was out of town and work was busy. I'm enjoying getting caught up now.

Scott
July 13, 2014 04:24PM
Hi Scott,

In the future, I'm just gonna start with the finished project ... But then you are gonna miss all the excitement of the build. What? ....... I heard that! stunned

Well, the wedding was last evening ... And .... Somehow it didnt rain! Yay!!!!! Well, with as long as the prep. for the event took - they should be good for the next 50 years! Hehe.

Gary
July 14, 2014 02:34AM
I should probably clarify; I love to see all the pictures along the way also! wink

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021