Advanced

Re: OUTRIDER Stock Pics. Profile

OUTRIDER Stock Pics. Profile
July 18, 2014 02:40AM
image.jpg

Barnes - OUTRIDER 50
Profile. Inlet into Stock - now about 85% complete

image.jpg

Right Hand Thumb Hole Pistol Grip Stock.

Your impressions welcome (remember ... we're very sensitive .... laughing again

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2014 02:46AM by barnespneumatic.
Sal
July 18, 2014 03:01AM
Nice work Gary! How much do you think it will weigh when all is said and done?
July 18, 2014 04:58AM
No clue Sal,

I'll have to weigh it for ya. Seems nice to me, at this point. The Goldie Locks Version .... Pipe smoker

Gary
July 18, 2014 03:16AM
Those are some large flat wood areas for engraving, pending on your thoughts for further contouring. Looking forward to seeing how you will finish the rifles.

Looking very nice smiling smiley
July 18, 2014 04:46AM
This is all largely bandsawn out - not sculpted and rounded.

Besides .... remember now ... this is the one you drag behind your ATV to the tree stand. None of that fancy stuff.

Gary
July 18, 2014 07:46AM
Nice looking thumbhole stock Gary, have you done many other thumbholes in your repertoire?
Cheers
Neil
July 18, 2014 03:48PM
Hi Neil,

Yes - the Woodsman Series, Nitro Express Guns, Carnivore, and others. They hold well.

Thks!

Gary
July 18, 2014 03:27PM
NICE excited
July 18, 2014 03:52PM
July 18, 2014 04:05PM
Toss in here again ....

This is just roughed out and inlet. Nothing contoured, eased, textured, or finished. This is just to give you a preliminary view. "Throw some WOOD on the fire" - so to speak! grinning smiley

The rest of the series should improve, greatly; in production time. This one started with an idea. Even the 50 cal barrel tooling didnt exist. None of the tools, jigs, patterns, charts, drawings, existed. Even the slugs were non-existent. If you don't have many opportunities to bring complex projects to life - it might be easy to see progress as slow. But - ask folks who work in industry how much work it takes to take an idea for a complex system, and bring it to life. Not one table top plastic copy of one part - but a working steel high pressure machine. It's a challenge.

You watched the whole thing, if you have been reading.

Thanks -
Gary
July 19, 2014 12:16PM
Gary,
I like the look! Even that scope looks good. wow

Looking at the buttstock, there is a line that runs up toward the action. I assume that is decorative; or did you design a new adjustable comb? nowthatIthink

Scott
July 19, 2014 03:31PM
Hi Scott,

Glad you like it.

The action is encased in the stock, rather then sitting atop the stock.

The hammer tube runs at an angle. To drop the action in, the buttstock's top cap comes off. There will be more sculpting and thinning which will make things make sence. I've been showing things along the way for interest. But it is a hard way to tell the story fast enough to make all clear. winking smiley.

The rail is long enough for many different scopes and mounts. But these 4X shotgun scopes from Simmons are nice. They have a cross and a diamond reticle. That makes it easy to align targets and even gives several easy aim points similar to a mil dot. I've shot and posted 200 yard targets with them.

take a bow

How do you like this one .... Everything on earth has conspired to slow my shop time. We were predicted to have a rainy weekend. And we are getting it. The Pacific Northwest is Arid compared to here. I needed to do dome prep for the rain fun. Needed tractor fuel. Went to get some. Upon coming back, I stooped to pick something off my floor mats, and heard a small whining sound. Thought it odd or small dog would be able to see me there even if he were out in his run. I look up. There sits a small white fluff of fur - at the bottom of our steps. "Puppy?" I go over. THE most adorable puppy on earth - comes over to me with barely a coaxing. No collar. I show it to Kelly. We wonder what to do. She's on the way to do some chores. Puppy has fleas. We have flea shampoo for dogs - we bath and dry it and it goes into a deep sleep. Excellent adventure tiring. We put hom in a doggy crate. She comes back from chores - I'm on the tractor - she motions to me to come over - there are THREE MORE puppies at the porch. This begins a whole series of events.

Gary
July 20, 2014 11:11AM
Distractions can be cute and adorable, but it still makes it hard to get the job done!
I'm glad this time it wasn't another catastrophe.

Scott
July 20, 2014 09:45PM
Like the "clamshell" buttstock !!

Very Nice!
July 21, 2014 01:01AM
Hey, I've got an idea...Free puppy with every purchase!
July 21, 2014 05:56PM
Yeah - great idea late. Owner tracked down and puppies returned. At least 1/2 mile from here. 2 mo. Old pups. Besides - remember - we are not trying to scare off folks. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021