Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Please take this Seriously ...

Please take this Seriously ...
July 30, 2014 06:31AM
Some of you have known me quite a few years now. You know me. You don't just think you know the kind of guy I act like on the net. You "know" me.

I need some help. Please take this seriously. If you know anything at all about me, you know I've been honest with you. I know you come here for entertainment - but now I need some help. Here's where we are. I haven't been feeling well, and neither has Kelly. The stress is killing us. Let's just quickly go thru the obvious and not so obvious. The Md. House. I had a number of people tell me to just dump it. I paid into that place for 34 years. I HAD big equity in it before the market tanked. Prior to all I did to it, it had serious vague issues. Once we investigated, based upon what we found; we could not have sold it. I worked like a dog to correct all of those issues. For 34 years people made little jokes about us living in the mansion on the hill. It wasn't. I kept it as best I could, but not to the TV expectations of today. It's move in ready today. But now they say its been on the market too long. They have some spin excuse for everything. Truth is, they just wait for someone to stumble in - they cannot "sell" anything.

When we went to sale, we had it in great shape. You saw that. We judged as best we could - from all sorts of input. 34 years and all that effort - we still priced it where we thought it was a good value. Nobody just walks away from their nest egg.

Well - it's been a horror show to just get anybody to look at the darned place. They flip through a thousand homes online and just reject ours out of hand. We don't know why. But not doesn't matter. The costs of carrying it are killing us. So, I've tried to make the extra money. But - mostly - you all come to read. To be entertained. I know it's an airgun forum - but I've spent 41 years professionally making all sorts of items. I haven't pushed for anyone to get a Gary Barnes Tattoo - but ya have to have some interest in the craftsman to read for years. Now - I haven't had my tin cup out. I've made quality items and tried to put prices of good value on them. Pointless for me to offer hundred dollar items for twenty dollars. The point is to pay bills as a stop gap until I can sell this darned house.

Now, we have come down in price - THREE times. We are gonna have to again. That's just a shame - but it has to end. You all realize that one major reason we were relocating and simplifying (in theory) was to cask out equity, lessen maintenance, and use that equity to buy time to finish ledger orders. Many people thought it was a good idea to get South, avoid the Winters, simplify. We didnt do anything wierd. We bought simple. Bought cheap. HAD to have somewhere to move equipment TO before we could sell. You know the whole move story. Only option open to us. We could not afford a commercial move of all those tons of tools.

Here's what's happening now. I've been telling you what, and why, and praying my heart out. Been working like a dog and many of my pains have returned with a vengeance. Now - I can't work in dozens of custom guns and generate immediate buyers for them. The whole game has been 41 years of this: "Hello Mr. Smith .. I'm following up on this email you wrote where you said you'd immediately take anything I had for sale". "I have this item ...." Ah, I see - you had something else in mind - thank you - I'll make a note of that". "Hello Mr. Jones ... I'm following up on the order you placed .... I see ... not a good time for you." Then, in an effort to be effecient in building - as so many suggest .... Ill gear up and make ten pcs. of jewelry. Go through the whole build, photo, catalog, market ... And sell three of the ten. The thing that is always in instant demand is whatever I do not have at present.

Now - we are near the bone here. I must survive this chapter. You have a vested interest too. I've done nothing wrong here. I've worked an absurd number of hours. I've worked thru agony. Thru migraines. None of that is your problem - but its not my fault either. I've bought a cheap place in a simple location. You can't set up a shop and test rifles in a townhouse. This was the best we could do. We moved everything. It was a horrible task. Done. It's been the Professionals ( about 6-7 of them) who can't put people thru the house and get SOME offer.

Many of you took advantage of the ledger payment program. It made it possible for you to buy quality. I have, and will continue to honor those commitments. But I can't fight the work, pain, headaches, and pull a rabbit from my hat every day. I need you to consider buying some small item I offer. They add up and help. If you need terms - ask. Dozens of you know that I have been very fair thru the years. Patience hasn't just been a one way street. I've gotten many dozens of emails from people worried that their circumstances would not allow a payment. Or - it had been a few months when "life happened" to other people. And - what did I say? I told them to take care of their prime needs and pay me when they could.

Well, now I need some of that help back. If you are able to catch up some on accounts - it would be very helpful. If you could find some item I offer on the site of interest - please consider a purchase. I have offered these last two Outrider 50s of the original series at $4k. Now that I've completed the prototype, I can honestly tell you that is a $6,500 rifle if I ever built one. If you need terms on one of those, please ask. If someone would care to buy #4 within a week, I'd make it $3,500us, plus shipping. For the last one, I'd split the $4k over 45-60 days.

I have a number of custom knives within finish distance. Some simple hearty types, some quite elegant. I have not known what to do regarding those. I fight so hard to get any responce from readers, that I can't often tell the interest mood of the forum. I don't know if there are buyers here or not. I've honestly thought I was doing my readers and customers a good turn, by offering things here first. Offering deals. Offering variety. But, the end of the day tells the story.

The reality is, I just may have to spend time preparing for other custom sales forums. I hope it's clear that I simply have to net results. I know tons of people have left. They just figure they'll drop back later. But, they aren't here when items are offered. Then too - they just want to hear a good story - see a few pics. People like a fast happy story. They tend to think people who hit roadblocks, brought it on themselves. It's a fact of life. You have some serious issues and see how many people want to talk to you. Visibly hurt, and you'll clear a room fast. People want to hear happy. Don't want to be brought down. Thats a fast Psych. 101 review. You can have all the talent in the world, but you better be fun. Well, I've been freely entertaining now since 96. I need some help. I'd really appreciate it.

It's 2:10 am, again. I'm sure a few of you are disappointed in the thread. Expected to see more faster. I regret that. But, I can assure you that it's not for lack of effort, or toughing it out.

Thank You,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 07:06AM by barnespneumatic.
July 30, 2014 05:16PM
I will have posted a link to this thread on the other forum, hope it brings in some buyers Gary.
July 30, 2014 09:40PM
Hi Gary,

Sorry about the enduring saga. Are you working on, what were they, model 97 knives? I really liked that light weight model you had that flipped open and could cut iron bars or shave in a pinch!
July 31, 2014 12:09AM
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for asking. Yes ... I have 4-6 of them in various stages. Could lay out a group of neat blades and such for them.

I like them very much. The ones with the oval inlay in them provide such a good field for engraving.

Those are really slick - they open so smooth.

The cam bar lets them be perfectly tuned for lock up points.

Ill try to find a pic later!

People might wonder why not spend ALL the time on guns. Cause they just take sooooooo long. And with the small stuff you can perhaps attract 10 customers where the gun is a much harder "1" customer to find.

Gary
July 31, 2014 02:14AM
Gary,

Sorry to hear of all the issues, I have not checked in for a while ( family illness that is still ongoing) and I missed the whole outrider 50. And I will take a hard look and see if I can do something on number 4 or 5. I still hold out hope for good ole hoss, but it might be time to make a move (like you said on what is available)

Again Best and I will be in touch soon
July 31, 2014 03:01AM
To other readers:

When I first found Gary's site and his offerings, I was quite skeptical. I asked myself "Who is this guy?" and "Can I trust him?" After observing for several months (might have been 2 years) I finally took a leap of a faith and got on the ledger. I will admit, I have not seen that gun yet, but along the way I have had multiple opportunities to talk and message with Gary. And I have been presented with opportunities outside the ledger to purchase other items from him.

The Appaloosa is a wonderful moderated .25 caliber in stainless steal. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I jumped at the opportunity and have never regretted it. It is my favorite air rifle to shoot! I even provided Gary with some repair work...(you can find the pictures if you really want to know). Gary has been trustworthy and has followed through the best way possible every time.

When he sells the Maryland Mansion, I have no doubt he will complete the ledger items. But right now there are bills that need to be paid just to survive. The Outrider .50 is a way he can stay afloat while he waits for the home buyer in Maryland.

I have been begging him for years to make me a boring rifle that I won't mind taking in the field to hunt deer. The first edition of the Outrider will be that gun. I'm not happy that Gary and Kelly are in this situation, but I am happy I could purchase the Outrider; and help them out! I hope others are paying attention and understand that this is real life. I have not dealt with anyone more honest than Gary. He will follow through and make things right.

This is my unsolicited opinion. I recognize quality and enjoy Gary's work; I hope this information helps others decide to help him endure this season of life.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021