Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Classic Old School Folder

Classic Old School Folder - NOW MORE PICS!
July 31, 2014 10:08PM
image.jpg

Classic Old School Mid-lock folding Knife.

Probably be finished tonight, or tomorrow.

Pic from today's work filing in the Fluted Bolsters.

(Jerry - when did you get your Barlow and your Dad's Barlow? I started this knife at the same time - in that group). More coffee

Check your car ashtray, and your couch cushions. Natural Bone will be Dyed - amber. Will match Scott's repaired knife.

These are classic models I've been known for since about 1976.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 01:31AM by barnespneumatic.
July 31, 2014 10:14PM
Looking good Gary. Been years now for my and my Dad's knife. His is on display and mine is on my hip...
August 01, 2014 12:26AM
Nice folding knife Gary. What is the material on the scales?
August 01, 2014 01:28AM
image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's the knife being worked on. Builder's bench pins holding the parts together for sanding. Nothing is polished yet. Still being finished.

The scales are bone. They are white now. 99.999% of bone scales are dyed.

image.jpg

The scales will look similar to this when dyed. This is the knife I built decades ago, and recently replaced the broken scales for Scott. These new scales were white before I dyed them. The dye absorbs into the bone according to the grain and density of the individual bone. Part of the fun. You desire to have matching sets, where possible. It mellows thru the years. Gets more translucent.

Scale are due to be dyed unless someone just has to have them white. Speak now .... winking smiley

Gary
Re: Classic Old School Folder - NOW MORE PICS!
August 01, 2014 12:16PM
If it were mine I would ask you to dye the scales.

julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 09:30AM by Julio.
August 01, 2014 09:54PM
Looks good Gary.
The picture does not do the dyed scales justice. I wouldn't have them any other way. It really brings out the grain of the bone. I show mine off any time I get a chance!

What is the size of this knife?

Scott
August 02, 2014 01:10AM
9 1/8" open, IIRC.

I dyed them. Looks great. Trying to finish for tonight.

Gary

PS .... Needed better light to finish the blade sanding and polish. Quit at 10 PM. Getting tired too. Tomorrow for sure. wow

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 05:06AM by barnespneumatic.
August 02, 2014 06:52PM
That's an awesome knife . To bad I spent all my fun money on a new Outrider air cannon . So that's an old one you made years ago just never finished ? I love that file work on back spline of the handle . So mid locker ?? How does that work , you push down to release or to side ? Never heard of such . I also have the panama vice and it's perfect for that application . I have watched numerous knife builders on the internet and never saw the pins being used for holding while sanding . I always learn something when I come for a little Rendevous !! Thanks for the tip .
August 02, 2014 07:20PM
Hi Kurt,

Yes. I made knives, professionally; since 75. In
Efforts to create some sort of efficiency - I'd always cut some extra parts - forge extra blade stock - start an extra knife I just wouldn't get back to. This was started probably 6 years ago or so. I might begin a group of knives - then get an interest in a particular one - finish that - then have to get back to what I had been doing.

If you check out high quality 19th century locking folding knives, you will find things which suggest this knife. Long and narrow - mid lock design. Yes, you depress the lever in the window, down - just like the standard 20th century lock back folders.

I'm in the process of finishing up sanding and buffing small details - will then assemble.

Thanks Kurt,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021