Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Gary Tree

The Gary Tree
August 09, 2014 04:53AM
On my Saturday morning run, I often run past this tree, which I have always admired for it's perseverance in the face of adversity. It occurred to me that it should be named "The Gary Tree." As you can see, life has taken a few twists and turns for this tree (as it has for Gary) yet , in the end result, it is still onwards and upwards for this battler (as with Gary):
 photo Garytree1_zps5064fa85.jpg
 photo Garytree2_zps6dafd2f9.jpg
Gary, there is a piece of you in Kiwiland....
Cheers smiling smiley
Neil
PS Here's a sunrise pic taken from the back of my place a while back....
 photo SAM_7079_zps9625e81a.jpg
And here's a picture of an airgun to make this post airgun related....
 photo 20140707_135059-Copy_zpsf20f4bbe.jpg
Re: The Gary Tree
August 09, 2014 04:57AM
Nice, both the tree and the carbine. thumbs up

There's a couple around here that look like twins of that "360" tree, I'll have to see if I can get you a photo someday.
August 09, 2014 06:16AM
Cheers Sean, would like to see them. Nature is very adaptable...dig it
Regards
Neil
August 09, 2014 01:01PM
Thanks Neil for pleasing us with such beautiful pictures of your homeland. That tree is an oddity all by itself.
August 09, 2014 01:47PM
Great pics Neil , and that tree was correctly named . Keep reaching for the sun and you WILL blossom . You just gotta find it . Hope your getting some good rabbit time shooting . I always enjoy your posts.
August 09, 2014 03:22PM
I am honored, Neil. Thank You. thumbs up. I do feel a warm bond with my leafy namesake there.

You live in a magnificent place, Neil. Blessings to you and your family. bowing -- Far East

Gary
Sal
August 09, 2014 07:45PM
That sunrise picture is crazy. If that was off my back porch I don't think I would be able to leave the house.
August 09, 2014 11:10PM
Hello Neil,

Thanks for sharing. In life we have many examples of perseverance and you provided a great example. My life is nothing I had imagined it would be. Not even working in the exact vocation I thought I would be.

The sunrise picture is amazing. I showed my wife, she was WOW. We would like to travel to New Zealand one day.

All the best, thanks again.

Pedro
August 10, 2014 02:26AM
Up here it's the snow load that gets them all bent out of shape. The saplings base get locked in the bottom layers when it compresses and freezes to the mountain, and the upper section gets pushed downhill as the subsequent snow load slowly creeps downhill. It's not the same every year, so some of them have multiple weird offsets and bends.

The power of snow moving downhill has to be seen to be believed. Back in my boyscout days while hiking in the Rockies we came across almost a quarter mile of trail that was blocked completely by an avalanche "blowdown". Thousands of mature Ponderosa pines on the hillside had all been snapped off clean at about six feet above ground level, all at the same height. Getting through it with our backpacks on took forever, it was a 3-D maze of jackstrawed trunks and stripped limbs all jumbled together. I'm sure some forest ranger types eventually cleared it with chainsaws and winches, but it would have been a major project. Dangerous work too, clearing jams like that when it's all tumbled about.
August 13, 2014 07:07AM
Phewww, Sean, I'm glad we don't have those snow complications!

Thanks Julio, Kurt, Gary, Sal and Pedro.

Cheers

Neil
August 13, 2014 06:55PM
Believe it or not, up here (Juneau, Alaska) there are a number of houses built in or near avalanche danger zones. About fifty years ago several of them had their roofs blow down or collapsed just by the air blast preceding the actual avalanche. Seems like a really bad idea to have occupied houses there, but places to build on have always been scarce in this area.

Here's a link to an article about avalanche control methods they use here, including the howitzer the local Dept. of Transportation uses to clear some of the slopes. Yes, the road crew guys up here have their own 105mm howitzer, not something you see every day. winking smiley

[juneauempire.com]
August 15, 2014 06:53PM
Wow, a howitzer, that's serious snow control!
Cheers
Neil
August 17, 2014 01:39AM
I think they use howitzers for avalanche control on Truckee pass in California too. Looks like fun, we walk our dog past the leveled out concrete "shooting pad" pretty frequently, but I've never seen them in action.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021