Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Looking for Scope Opinions

Sal
Looking for Scope Opinions
August 11, 2014 02:48PM
I've seen you guys talking about shotgun scopes here and there and I was looking to try one out on my 707 22cal.
My shooting range is between 20 and 75 yards mostly limited because the back yard eventually turns to swamp the further back I go.
I'm looking for easy target acquisition, fixed magnification and a multipurpose reticle. The boys and I will be popping soda cans, sticks, resettable targets etc.

I was doing some poking around on the Simmons website and this is what I found.
First line item is a 4x shotgun scope.
[simmonsoptics.com]

I was also reading about the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5 x 20 which seems like a nice scope but is discontinued.

Then there is the UTG 4x32 AO Bug Buster Compact Rifle Scope, with all sorts of bells and whistles.

One of my main concerns is parallax, all of my current scopes have A.O. so I'm not sure how a 4x shotgun scope setup for 100 yards will work when I try to shoot at 20.

Thanks everyone!
August 11, 2014 10:40PM
Hi Sal,

I think we all know that Gary can do great things with a Simmons scope. Those scopes have a very useful reticle and I think one of them would be a good choice for you. Also, the budget line Nikons have great optics (I think they are serious about their reputation). I've got a Nikon and it's good enough that I'd buy another budget range Nikon if I needed another scope right now.

If you look up the specs on any scope, you might find the parallax free range. If it's not listed in the site's specs, you might find it via google. If you find a scope that is zero parallax at 50 yards, you will have little error to worry about at your planned ranges.
August 12, 2014 02:42PM
Hi Sal,

I always had good results with my Simmons Turkey Federation fixed 4x scopes. Used to be about $80.

Diamond reticle gave several points of aim and it was easy to visually divide reticle segments into halves - so there became several more points of aim.

The scope was in focus unless you were trying for very close targets. However; one Winter we posted inside 10 yd targets here. I put a greatly reduced entrance ocular cover on the scope (I just turned a wafer of delrin with a small hole in it and taped it on with a band of electricians tape - winking smiley, and that altered the focal range so that it was very clear at 10 yds.

Obviously I'd rather have a nice shorty side wheel AO mil dot with great glass. Or - you could have a nice pocket knife, and an expedition case, and a Simmons scope. nowthatIthink

Gary
August 12, 2014 08:42PM
I've been pretty impressed with the Nikon line of scopes lately too. Most of the ones in the "reasonable" range retail for around $150-200, a pretty good deal given their optical quality. They have a number of multiple-aiming-point reticles available too, ranging from ones calibrated for varmint rifles to ones calibrated for crossbows. For the money you can certainly do a lot worse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021