Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Now you're a sharpshooter: The smart rifle arrives

Now you're a sharpshooter: The smart rifle arrives
August 24, 2014 01:04AM
I found this quite interesting:

http://www.cnet.com/news/now-youre-a-sharpshooter-the-smart-rifle-arrives/

Note they make a big deal out of a rifle hitting a stinkbug at 98 yards. Indeed, that's a good shot . . . but I've seen myself and others group under MOA at 100 yards (in some cases, way under) with no computers and a *handmade* airgun.

As for enabling non-shooters to hit targets out to 1000 yards and even hunt . . . a few choice quotes:

"As soon as those crosshairs landed on my tag, the trigger released on its own and the gun fired its round."

"Tracking Point caters to hunters who want to go on an African safari or a bear hunt in Alaska, but don't have the time to learn and practice long-range shooting."

"McHale said he couldn't stay steady enough to hit the 4-inch kill zone of the gazelle at 300 yards. He simply lacked the skill."

I do appreciate the technology, but I have a problem with how it's being marketed and applied. This isn't sporting to me, and I wouldn't call taking animals with it hunting but rather pest control or simply extermination. Isn't discipline fundamental to this sport?

-- Jim
August 24, 2014 01:20AM
You got it Jim.

But it's like everything else we live with. "Teach me to engrave - in three steps and five minutes!"

Very few will take the time to learn playing classic instruments. So few have artistic gifts. So; let's beat on a pot - make a childish rhyme - CALL it inspired music .... And make a superstar out of a .... guy.

Amazing wealthy folks will be satisfied with telling their story - and there's the trophy - and it's on the wall of their million dollar log lodge in Montana - that they bought with the proceeds of a little song they wrote in a bathroom, in five minutes; called - "Towel Dispenser! Uh HUH!!!"

thumbs up

Gary
August 25, 2014 06:08AM
They should leave a little bit to skill!! skeet
Cheers
Neil
August 25, 2014 09:27PM
Where does the wind dope get entered? Looks like an excellent way to add sniper back-up at the squad level.
August 28, 2014 04:56AM
I think the whole idea is suspicious, smacks of the day when we'll have a court case determining if it's "the computers fault" when some schmuck gets his head blown off by a police dept. "sniper" and they try to blame it on the technology.

And as far as using it for hunting...don't EVEN get me started.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021