Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Afternoon at the range

Afternoon at the range
September 22, 2014 12:07PM
My daughter went with me to the range Sunday afternoon. We took 2 rifles to shoot. The Appaloosa that Gary recently repaired, and the Outrider 50 that arrived Friday! Here's a couple of pictures of her and I shooting and the first 50 yard group I tried with the Outrider.

Not my best shooting, but the first 2 shots are the single hole in the upper right. The 3rd shot was the furthest to the left. After the 3rd shot I thought I would see what a 5 shot group might look like. I'm not happy with this 6x Centerpoint scope, but I'm pretty sure the flier was me and not the scope.

Scott
Appaloosa1.jpg
Outrider.jpg
Outrider Target.jpg
September 22, 2014 02:58PM
Hi Scott,

Great post! It's nice to see you having a good time with your daughter. "festive"

Thanks for sharing with us.

julio
September 22, 2014 03:14PM
Great to see your post Scott! Thank you.

Looks like a perfect Sunday afternoon. Very glad your daughter accompanied you. take a bow

That looks like a wonderful range. Berms all around and safety boards overhead.

Hey - I note a couple of tips I can share. You have a nice rig there - but I see an alteration that will significantly improve your groups. Get yourself a 5 foot "microbore" air line and have it fitted with a 90 degree foster set-up to clip to the gun. Here's why: the braided clad hose you have, is a good choice for just filling the gun. It's tough. But ... If left clipped to the gun ... it's tough enough to induce a "tug" to the muzzle, during the recoil cycle. The microbore hose is nearly weightless. If you clip it on with a 90 degree downward position ... And make sure the line has a totally neutral buoyancy (no tendency to tug in any direction) .... "Then" open the valve to pressurize ... It will hold the line in that position. With 5' of line, you "can" set the tank on the ground - and give the line room.

You will be surprised. I guarantee this will halve your group size with no other changes. thumbs up

Second - in my personal experiences at ranges ... I have chased variables all over the targets. Becoming quite discouraged ... Before I discovered that concrete shooting benches are the devil's tool. winking smiley. The recoil pattern of any rifle produces a "bounce". Even though you are using good shooting bags - your elbows are on the bench. The towel won't quite save you from the harsh resistance of concrete. I'm sure you know the toughness of bone - especially on end. The recoil wave is transferring from the gun to your arm, and your elbow is acting as a fulcrum, flipping the stock during recoil.

I've moved to a wooden bench, and quartered the size of my groups. If you choose to use rear bags, it will help even more.

If you do all of these suggestions ... You should be able to put all five of those 50 caliber slugs thru one 25 caliber hole ..... stunned

Hehe.

Good on ya for getting out to the range. I can smell the venison roast from here!

Best,
Gary

PS you can get a Foster/Hanson style Quick Disconnect, with an eighth inch threaded fitting to fit your regulator. (I think that is the thread - double check that). Then, have the microbore made with a male Foster/Hanson fitting. Now you can easily unhook your microbore line, coil and stow it. Clean carry package. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 03:24PM by barnespneumatic.
September 23, 2014 02:05AM
Scott,

I can usually count on a flier to screw up a group.

It looks like you had a nice day on the range. At our range there are so many holes in the facia of the roof that covers the shooting positions I've stopped wondering how it could happen so often. Your range looks pristine.

Nice set of rifles.

Lon
September 23, 2014 05:27PM
Congrats on your new rifle. I bet that was a fun day for the both of you.
September 24, 2014 05:38PM
Looks like a great time Scott . There won't be to many more nice days like that here in Michigan . Glad to see Appaloosa back in action too ! That's always been one of my favorite Barnes .
September 24, 2014 06:54PM
Looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing the post.
September 24, 2014 11:01PM
Looks like a great day! Unfortunately I'm late to reading and Gary has already made all the points that sprang to mind regarding groups...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021