Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Saddle Lock Folder - Elk

Saddle Lock Folder - Elk
September 29, 2014 02:14AM
Started in 05. Have spent some time progressing this interesting knife.

Will be complete and for sale soon.

image.jpg

Blade and saddle spring lock are high carbon stainless tool steel.
The body of the knife is Elk Stag. Blade runs on stainless bushing and shim washers.

Watch it progress.

Gary
September 29, 2014 04:22PM
Interesting design. How long is the blade?
September 29, 2014 05:57PM
I really like handle design , the way it flairs out with lines at bottom . Also the blade is a drop point ? Cool
September 29, 2014 10:26PM
Blade is 3 1/8" guys.

image.jpg

Back is capped with the same Elk Stag. Covers the pith center. Then the side texture is ground in and matched.

The mechanism has a top fluted Dorsal Fin you depress to unlock. Makes a Primative design into a refined tool.

thumbs up

Gary
September 29, 2014 11:41PM
Neat looking knife! Never seen antlers used for knives before, very interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

Pedro
September 30, 2014 10:31PM
Great looking knife you have going there. Looks very pocket friendly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 12:18AM by marcar.
September 30, 2014 10:53PM
Hello Mike,

Ill use the occasion of your post to show this ....

image.jpg

The knife is technically finished. This is the frame of the knife. All steel, bushings, leaf spring saddle, machine parts - thread together. Should be done this evening shift. Looks great.

Elk stag with elk stag cap. Relief carved in a less formal format. Should give it a very 15th century look.

Gary
Sal
September 30, 2014 10:56PM
That's some spectacular engraving there!
October 01, 2014 12:21AM
I like the earthy feel this knife represents to me. Nice carving and a nice surprise.
September 30, 2014 11:33PM
Awesome job ! So when you carve antler like that does it stink the same as when you saw? I know you call doing that very relaxing but I think it would be very tiring also . All the fine and intricate detail . I saw one of your knives for sale that had a rose inlay on the front and checkering on the back that was very cool. Do you just freehand those designs in that antler or sketch out first with the magic sharpie ?
October 01, 2014 03:53PM
Hi Kurt,

Julio is right. Although it was a magic pencil so it could be errased. The sharpie ink may have stained the stag too deeply.

When I carve bone, I can smell it - but it's not the overpowering nature of sawing it - because I'm not removing so much at a time.

Now - what's this about you trolling the gutter for Barnes knives on line.... hummmmm? LOL!

That knife with the rose on it keeps showing up. I didn't do the rose. Some owner of the knife had it scrimshawed with the design. I'm fact - I got a mail the other day with a pic of the knife. A lady had just bought it for herself. Said she is in Doctorial studies, and it will travel the world with her. She loved it. I told her I hoped it brought her much enjoyment.

Gary
October 01, 2014 12:41AM
Hi Kurt,

Sorry Gary, let me answer that one for you: Magic Sharpie.
October 01, 2014 11:47AM
Hello Julio
I figured that with metal ,but with that material being so irregular , I thought maybe the antler would talk to him as he worked . Hehe
October 01, 2014 05:39PM
Another TSA knife should be in the works then . I truly was admiring the checkering on the back side if handle . So your saying that was really the front? You do know that you website has basicly 1 knife on it . I bet I admired 75 of your knives all at the same time . I would NEVER buy used when your still alive . Hehe well ok I did buy maybe one or two that I fell in love with.
October 01, 2014 05:58PM
"....while your still alive".

Put a deposit on them to hold them for a couple of weeks. See how this chest thing goes Kurt.

winking smiley
October 01, 2014 11:04PM
That carving looks great! I guess BPS has the carving bench in full swing if not all the other shops. Looking good!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021