Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Attended Gun Show

Attended Gun Show
October 19, 2014 07:34PM
Hello All,

Yesterday, I attended a small gun show in Friedensfeld, Manitoba, Canada. It was well attended and was only a 5 minute drive from my place! I had heard about the show from coworkers. All in all it was very busy but mostly geared to powder burners and no shortage there. My hopes were to meet a fellow I meet 2 years ago. He had had an airgun display at another show 2 hours away. Sure enough he was there and turns out he lives about 20 minutes from me. He is selling commercial rifles as hobby and trying to get others interested.

Saw one antique air rifle. A BSA, circa 1919 - asking $475 I think it was. Still looked like it was in a good working order.

sgunshow1.jpg

Another rifle caught my eye merely for the engraving. A limited edition Weatherby at $8800.

sgunshow2.jpg

Our weather is amazing for mid October. 15 Celsius today and sunshine! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Pedro
October 19, 2014 07:54PM
Hi Pedro,

Glad you had fun. winking smiley

Nice looking work. First thing I noticed was that the carving was done after the stock was originally finished. Maybe that's the way they do it or maybe it was a later custom job.

Thanks for posting.

Gary
October 19, 2014 09:43PM
Gary,
I do not know why the carving is the way it is. I didn't ask the vendor. I liked the engraved pattern. Personally, a layer of linseed oil would make it look nicer. Not sure why the rifle is worth $8800 though, must be a story behind it.

I have been to a few gun shows now and honestly, they all seem the same. Perhaps it due to having my interests in airguns and not big into powder burners. One day hope to visit an airgun show. It would be nice to have a hunting rifle, but I don't hunt (yet). Canada requires high power rifle for any deer, bear, etc hunting. No airguns for that purpose, not even for wild hogs. (Someone needs to petition this)

Pedro
October 20, 2014 02:10AM
Hi Pedro,

I met no disrespect of the workmanship. It looks great. I even like the contrast. I just noticed that the carving was "dry".

I think that's a desirable Marque. I have no idea of actual value though.

I think folks would be better spending at BPS .... Haha. laughing again

Gary
October 20, 2014 01:27AM
The barrel reminds me of the acid etch work Gary did many moons ago... cooler
October 20, 2014 08:02PM
The engraving and the carving are very nice, but that yellow diamond inlay is ugly as sin. Just my $.02 worth, but that ruins the whole thing for me.
October 20, 2014 09:38PM
Hi Sean,

I wasn't a fan of that inlay either. It doesn't fit. However; for my 3 cents worth scholar I'd bet that inlay is original. It has the original stock finish over it. The carving is naked.

There are now too many different styles of ornament on the rifle.

Gary
October 24, 2014 03:09AM
Roy Weatherby wasn't known for his slavish adherence to classical style or for his understatement. He seemed to do OK anyway. winking smiley

Nice looking rifle, gorgeous wood, but that inlay is always and forever going to be plug-ugly no matter how "collectible" it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021