Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Primitive Jack Knife .... For SALE skeet

Primitive Jack Knife .... Assimilated assimilate
October 29, 2014 11:27PM
image.jpg

This is my Great Grandfather's Jack Knife (which I just finished a little while ago ... whistling

image.jpg

Ok. Actually it's blade and spring are high carbon tool steel. I've developed the aged patina.

image.jpg

Handles are dropped whitetail stag.

image.jpg

Liners are brass with a rope cut polished file work pattern all around.

image.jpg

Carved scroll and leaf. Dyed and polished.

Serial no., date, signature engraved on the liners before assembly.

image.jpg

Extension for ring, chain, or the leather fob attached. These make it easy to withdraw from a sheath or pocket.

image.jpg

Really nice "Primative" folder - nicely finished. Good blade for actual hunting usage. These hold a fine edge.

The knife looks 150 years old. Should last at least another 150 yrs.

image.jpg

Nail nick each side of blade for right or left hand users. winking smiley. Pull open, snap shut.

$435us. First posted here or to my PM. (TEMP. OFF THE MARKET FOR UPGRADE)

Thanks for reading. There are advantages to checking in here.

God Bless,
Gary

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2014 05:24AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: What? This Old Thing? For SALE
October 29, 2014 11:42PM
Blade is thin - bevel ground. Like many older tools. 1/16" steel blade. Blade 3 3/8" with handle at 7 5/8". Not including leather.

Postage and ins. Would probably be about $15.

Gary
Re: What? This Old Thing? For SALE
October 29, 2014 11:46PM
Thats a great little gem there! Good fer fishin and whittling . Stream side trout knife .

Thanks
Kurt
Re: Primitive Jack Knife .... For SALE
October 30, 2014 01:36PM
Wow Gary, another nice knife. I do like the patina finish on the blade. Super Cool!

How do you open and close this knife?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 07:00PM by Julio.
Re: Primitive Jack Knife .... For SALE
October 31, 2014 10:30PM
I have put the "nail nicks" in the blade (both sides) since the pics above. You just pull it open. There is spring tension to make it stop half way open/closed, and it snaps shut.

take a bow

Gary
November 01, 2014 07:50PM
Jack Knife is Temp. Off the Market.

I noticed a tendency to pinch upon closing. I've found that the Stag has warped just enough to pull the case. Natural materials.

I've taken the knife apart to confirm.

Since its apart, I decided to correct with a heavier spine and bushing the blade. The new spine is file worked to help make the whole effort partially pay something for the effort. I'm doing various alterations and will reintroduce it again.

Since the whole Primitive motif didnt have people lining up for a cheaper knife - I guess everybody wants them more expensive. My misjudgment. bowing -- Far East.

Back in a bit.

Gary
November 02, 2014 09:43PM
Darn natural materials! Glad you caught it before it went out.
November 03, 2014 12:59AM
Hi Jerry,

That is a reality. You are correct.

I'd get the rap rather then the materials, I fear.

One of the "Names" in knife making used to frequently say ... "No Dead Animal Parts" ... Haha - partly for this reason. Anything natural expands, contracts, warps. You have to nail it down and anticipate. My bad. Targeting a simple build, I didn't see the old "knife in the back trick ". Haha.

Gary
November 03, 2014 05:47PM
"No dead animal parts", eh? If you're gonna follow that rule, I guess you'd better make sure you don't use steel from any Great Lakes area mills. All those banded iron ore deposits are just FULL of dead bacteria parts, after all. winking smiley

On the other hand, I got a catalog in the mail with dozens of little folders with four digit prices...and all of them seem to have chunks of seashell or mammoth bits on them somewhere. Guess there must be a loophole in the rule somewhere...
November 04, 2014 05:36AM
Pearl is "inert".

Mammoth is a min. of 10,000 years old. Pretty completely dry by now. winking smiley

As "inlays" in an "Innerframe" design like my Mdl. 97s, the materials are ok. When you use them in a large pc., and count on them as a structural member ... they are gonna move.

I will get into several of the methods I used to stabilize this project, in "Knifemaking 601". The psych. of why we desire the use of natural materials and especially tortured specimens, in 701. Sign up now. nowthatIthink

Gary
November 04, 2014 06:52PM
Bring on the walnut burl !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021