Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: War Wagon....

War Wagon....
December 10, 2008 01:27AM
Gary,

If you ever get a chance can you show us the how the war wagon is set up? It's a great idea I'd love to have one myself.

Frank
December 10, 2008 02:47AM
Gary,
Make sure you tell Frank about the high tech heating and cooling systems! tongue sticking out smiley
December 10, 2008 02:13PM
Hi Frank,

Welcome to Rendezvous.

Sorry I was late to the party yesterday. I had another series of epidural injections in my lower back and it knocks me for the day.

The War Wagon has been great. It's a 6 by 10 foot floor and 6 and a half feet tall. It has a "man door" in the side which is the key to making it work for us. We glued and screwed wooden runners on the walls at the bench height, and made a shooting shelf bench from a high quality 3/4" plywood. We sculpted in two shooting positions so the shooter could sit beside the rifle as at the range.

To make the rear of the bench solid, we cut a length of pvc pipe which is a wedge fit between the floor and table underside. It makes the bench nearly rock solid. Enough so that we've all gotten excellent groups from it.

Heat is an issue in the direct sun. Jerry pioneered a "fly sheet" to go above the roof and provide a shade area between the canopy and the aluminum roof. One of those scissor frame fold out canopies worked pretty well. You know ... the $83 Walmart 10 by 10 canopies. That, with a couple of 12volt electric fans kept us from broiling. Heat is easier. One of the 30K BTU propane heaters atop a small propane tank will run you out of there on any freezing day. We just set up some coroplast sheet under the table to close off the airflow under the table. Gives you the wide open picture window for two guys to be comfortable shooting at a time.

I'll find pics later. This is a start. (Actually, I see Jim's Delta 45 Post shows the stuff pretty well).

Hope you enjoy Rendezvous,

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 07:12PM by barnespneumatic.
December 12, 2008 02:24PM
I'm holding out for AC and a generator myself. winking smiley I do hear that floodlights have been added since my last visit to enable night-time shooting -- really.

It does indeed get pretty warm in there in the summer. I mean, when you're in the middle of a clover field with no shade and it's 90+ degrees, it's HOT. Thankfully, the angle of the sun eventually changes, and it cools off a little bit.

It's been interesting to watch our range day equipment evolve over the past year. Last winter, it was literally Lewis & Clark-type preparation -- two full-size pickups full of stuff for three people to go shooting -- a few hours to load and unload and set up / tear down. I think that now, we could roll out to the range, put down the ramp, and be ready to shoot in 15 minutes in we really put our minds to it.

-- Jim
December 12, 2008 12:35AM
Thanks for the low down. Pictures would be great when you get the chance.

Frank
December 12, 2008 12:42AM
There are some pictures here in Jim's post: [www.airgunrendezvous.com]
December 13, 2008 01:47PM
I like Gary's War Wagon; it was quick and easy to get set up and confortable to shoot from. Every one should have one.

Keith
December 13, 2008 02:40PM
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the Rendezvous! It's turning out nice. Glad you joined us.

Yeah ... the War Wagon has gotten me into the field on occasions when I'd never have started dragging tubs of "stuff" to the truck for set up at the range.

Gary

Keith.jpg

Here's a pic of Keith in the War Wagon when he picked up his rifle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2008 05:26PM by barnespneumatic.
December 13, 2008 02:45PM
Jim,

Glad to be here.

I know what you mean. If I had some place where I could just roll out to shoot here is south florida, I'd get my own, but with a small generator and AC.

Keith
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021