Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The inspection, the path forward, obligations, health, giraffes.

The inspection, the path forward, obligations, health, giraffes.
November 07, 2014 07:41PM
This morning, we got a 50 page document dump from the inspection on our Maryland home. As expected, all the nails in the house have the heads on the wrong end. And it gets worse from there. The 14 year old inspector only charged $650 for his work, and his brother, Vinny, can reline the chimneys and install Radom Sucker Systems in the Basement. In other words, it was as expected and a total crock. Kelly did not expect it and she is expected back from therapy day after Christmas.

So I wrote to our Realtor and she called us. What that? Oh nobody pays any attention to that stuff ....

The people love the house. Explain these Six or Eight items in nice happy words.

So I'm working on that.

bWhen I bought the house, I lined two of the five chimney flies with high temp fired clay liners. Big project. Take sides out of brickwork in attic. Lower down liners. Stack perfectly, cement in thimbles. Press liners UP past frame of house, insert key liner in stack. Lay the brick back in. Point up. Cap chimneys. Permanent. Now they claim there are NO LINERS in the chimneys and they want to install darned 20 yr. stainless tubes for $7k.

Whole thing reads like that. WHY do I get these headaches?!! whistling

It's ongoing. Realtor says the buyers love it and want it to work. I have to thoroughly explain several topics. I can do that. Not while working in the shop though. I'm sorry.

Wed., we went for a Drs. examine and such. Ill live. I won't like it, but ill live.

There appears to be no way to avoid a quick trip North. I need brakes on the truck first. Need to get a couple of things in the mail first.

Giraffes are tall. Watching for lions is most likely easier then selling a nice old home. The entire system acts like you are an ax murderer if you are selling a house over three weeks old. Are you poisoning Children? Is the house rigged with trap doors? Are there any wormholes behind closet doors?

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 04:26AM by barnespneumatic.
November 07, 2014 08:27PM
Gary,

On the positive side... Thankfully you have a real good prospect interested in your house, and that is something to be faithful on. Good luck!
November 07, 2014 08:59PM
That's to bad about the trip north but probably just a ploy to knock a couple MORE grand off the list price. You had to figure another trip would be in your future . It should be the last business trip hopefully . Good luck and safe travels . When I bought my house I liked talking to owners . They can explain repairs better than anyone plus you have pictures to back up all those upgrades . I remember them . At least it's not in the dead of winter !
November 08, 2014 03:09AM
Damn the Inspector!Blinking devil
Sounds like the agent is motivated enough to get you through this Gary, pity though you have to go back there...one last time and you will sort this I'm sure!
Best of luck
Neil
November 08, 2014 03:12AM
Hi Gary & Kelly,

What a bummer! I hope this party that is interested can over see what the inspector's report points out.
Your situation is still in many of our thoughts!

Pedro
November 08, 2014 03:41AM
Thks guys.

Yeah, I detest the very thought of going back up there. Partly, I'll have to sort some stuff. Partly it's Maryland. If you do things wrong, it can cost you a fortune. Can't let it to others.

I've written chapters a few times today. Thoroughly explaining details in question.

It's hard to untangle the differences between what is "required, requested, instituted, optional, misunderstood, dreaming, etc.". I hate this more then the darned eternal legal estate mess I was forced to settle. I work for myself, in my own shop, on things of my own design ... and yet I never have a peaceful day's thoughts. Always some piano hanging over my head.

But, such is life. You have to do the math to get the net blessings. Sometimes there are looooong columns of numbers to cypher.

Gary
November 08, 2014 04:15AM
Best of luck, just keep thinking to yourself "it'll be better once it's done".

I keep telling myself that too, but it's hard to make yourself believe at times. winking smiley
November 08, 2014 02:26PM
Arghhhh! Well, at least you were expecting this. Hopefully resolution is more explanation than construction!
November 08, 2014 03:19PM
Gary,

Anything that is not new construction is "As is where is" down here. Do you guys have the same clause in your contracts?

If you sign an "As is where is" contract the inspection guides the buyer on possible expenses but does not obligate the seller. The buyer either accepts or rejects "As is". Of course there can be negotiations to avoid a rejection, but you knew that.

Good luck. smileys with beer

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 03:23PM by Bigbore.
November 08, 2014 10:40PM
I understand.

They had a list of things to address, based upon the inspection.

Some had expensive suggested remedies, with proposed estimates. All this accompanied the inspectors report.

Some things are Md. Required little ditties. Lovely place to move from.

I have spent "many keystrokes" explaining where the inspector could possibly be in error. whistling The history of improvements to the house. What is considered routine maintenance. The techniques we have used to address various issues.

They seem to want to absorb any information provided. I think it will work out to give them a realistic image of how we went about preparing the house.

We have provided all this. We will see what they come back with. Their side has made it clear they want it all to work.

There is still no way to avoid going up there. I'm not going thru it here, but Md. Taxes are designed to be punitive. I need to address that mess. I'm not going up there to paint the kid's rooms. winking smiley

Ill never be the same, but then I never was. stunned

Gary
November 09, 2014 09:00PM
Just reinforces the basic soundness of your decision to quit the northeastern tier states. Just like Beretta, which decamped to more hospitable terrain down south, both climate and political-wise.
November 10, 2014 12:17AM
Overall, that sounds better than I feared

If the potential buyers love the house that means they must appreciate something out of the "cookie cutter" mold...and hopefully you will be able to work it out !!

Sent you a PM, since I don't know if you still have a working email address more innocent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021