Re: Barlow Folding Knife - handle/bolsters

Barlow Folding Knife - handle/bolsters
November 16, 2014 06:23PM
image.jpg

My project is progressing very well.

image.jpg

Here's where we left it before ...

image.jpg

Here's what occured to me during lunch one day.

Gary
Sal
November 16, 2014 06:35PM
Wow, that looks fantastic! It should look even better when it's not just a sketch.
November 16, 2014 07:32PM
Hehe.

Sal, I'm gonna snicker ....

That first picture is of the bolsters, already engraved and darkened. That's complete!

wow

Gary
Sal
November 16, 2014 09:38PM
HA, zooming in on the picture fooled me!
November 16, 2014 08:53PM
That Barlow looks diferent in a good way. Nice contrast between the handles and the bolsters. What material are the bolsters made of?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2014 08:53PM by Julio.
November 16, 2014 09:41PM
Bolsters and frame are solid brass, Julio.

Gary
November 17, 2014 05:42AM
Hi Julio,

There are as many techniques as there are materials. On this design, as in the Old Mill Design on the Oval shaped pocketknife, these engravings are "line cut" designs. The artwork is made up of lines and strokes and dots. Each individually cut into the base metal. When I do "High Relief Engraving", it is the exact opposite of this. The design is left alone, and the background is removed. This leaves the design in high relief. This is the "cut away everything that doesn't look like an Acorn" technique. You remove a huge amount of material in relief work.

In "line cut" designs, I do not highly polish the background. I use a very high Satin finish. This removes the glare and distraction that would be present on line cut designs if highly polished. The Satin finish gives a somewhat antique look. It will oxidize some. If you want to keep it brighter (as seen here) then a Jewelry Cloth such as you polish Sterling Silver with, or the Cotton wadding called "Never Dull" will keep it nice, without the mess and grit of something like Brass-O. Never use that stuff.

There are tons of special knowledge topics that need to be realized in order to judge what is being observed. One item might have a very interesting look. Another might have ten times the work in it. It's knowing the techniques involved that helps. These are the types of things I think the forum should enjoy discussing.

Thanks, my Friend,
Gary
November 17, 2014 09:40AM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for explaining. This kind of work must have taken a bunch of time and concentration in order to achieve this much detail. The finished knife looks really nice. Great work!
November 16, 2014 11:52PM
sweet!
November 17, 2014 02:41AM
image.jpg

It's not assembled - but almost there. You can clearly see it now.

Thks for reading.

Gary
November 17, 2014 01:47PM
I'm thinkin Jerry needs that one for a matching Christmas set . A little red and a little green .
Thats cool the way the bone turns almost see thru as you polished it .
November 17, 2014 07:08PM
Know that's a classic knife and a great X-mas present!!
November 17, 2014 10:34PM
Gary,
I'm glad you mentioned the fitting/recarving on the other thread. I never would have seen that if you hadn't mentioned it. The effect is just as you desired!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021