Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Unseen quality touches

Unseen quality touches
November 18, 2014 04:39AM
image.jpg

I snapped this pic when the knife was apart. It shows the integral machined blade tang bushing surfaces and the blade tang clearance areas. The purpose is so that the front tension can be set tight, yet the blade will pivot clean and drag free. Also, the Ricasso (that flat area between the blade bevel and bolster) so that won't drag dust and debris and get all scratched up. Also note the serial number, date, signature, and additional notes which may apply.

This work takes time. And. "Courage". After many hours of work, you reach phases where you are piloting a spinning carbide mill cutter toward 12 hours of previously completed work. You do it wrong, the cutter catches, the tool edge breaks, and you RUIN your previous work. Even when it comes to the signature. The blade is done. And you touch down a carbide cutter and make a deep cut that you cannot remove. The biggest thing about moving beyond the most basic Hardware store knife, is that all additional work risks your first 12 hours or so. By the time you are done - you have doubled or tripled the input .... And upped the risk factor by 10x.

Sure - you can make a replacement part if you ruin one. But ... you have to make it fit the exact set of parts. The interaction with the rest. The exact holes. The perfect cams and flex. You better be pretty good if you are gonna retrofit custom parts to replace ruined ones. Don't ask me how I know ...

image.jpg

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2014 04:52AM by barnespneumatic.
November 18, 2014 10:07PM
The knife parts look nice but there is something different about you... Is it the apron?
November 18, 2014 11:18PM
It is a new apron! Thks for noticing. Regarding my vintage BPN apron - upon unpacking; the moisture and heat had turned it into a living organism. Beautiful shades of mold species.

The rest is just all the usual. Can be found like that from Walmart to the Beach. Hehe.
Sal
November 18, 2014 10:27PM
That's not Gary, it's one of his "helpers". google eyes
November 19, 2014 04:24PM
Those are the biggest buffing wheels I've ever seen.eye popping smiley

Snazzy outfit, BTW. Very...industrial chic.grinning smiley
November 20, 2014 11:16PM
Very nice Gary!

I understand how hours of work can be ruined when nearing the final machining sad smiley It happens.

Thanks for sharing!

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021