Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: How About This?

How About This?
November 22, 2014 12:53AM
image.jpg

Pic of a new hand engraved tool steel die plate.

Comments?

Gary
November 22, 2014 02:27AM
It's like where's Waldo picture. So much stuff going on. I'm sure I miss a couple of things. Really love this one Gary. What's the size. Dory
November 22, 2014 03:14AM
Hi Mark,
Good to hear from you.
It's the size of a pocket watch. I plan to make an Expedition case with a Roller Engraving from this die plate.
image.jpg
It will be similar to one of these "Expedition Cases". Nickle Silver.
Thanks for commenting.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 04:02AM by barnespneumatic.
November 22, 2014 03:51AM
Keep in mind - this is a "Die Plate", therefore; everything is a negative of the final image.

thumbs up

Gary
November 22, 2014 02:25PM
Is it deep enough to hold some mentos gum? Dory
November 22, 2014 02:46PM
The cases are hand hammered. Typically 3/8" - 7/16" inside I think. 2.2 cm. We have the research staff working on obtaining the official size from the net. typing

If you have a caliper, let me know the thickness. I strony suspect it chould be compatible.

Thks for asking.

Gary
November 22, 2014 05:48PM
Makes me want to jump into my car and take a drive through the mountains.Pipe smoker

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 05:49PM by Bigbore.
November 22, 2014 07:59PM
That's great Lon,

Hey - when someone has one of these cases - They can just put on their reading glasses and take a medatative drive thru the mountains. thumbs up

Thanks,

Gary
November 23, 2014 04:37AM
Looks like a lot of hours went into that, and all before even one piece of salable work gets made with it. If you ever cataloged the man hours that have gone into ALL your tooling, you'd probably keel right over on the spot. injured

Maybe best not to think about that at this particular moment. eye rolling smiley
November 23, 2014 05:28AM
Sean,

We went thru boxes of wrapped dies today. Oiled them and put them in drawers. The absurd amount of skilled labor there, is dumbfounding. I had many a thought while viewing each one being unwrapped. The earliest dies went back to 1980 I think.

So many were used once, or a few times at most. But - there is one of me.

I ran into issues with this new die ... we shall see if I correct it. Story later, if I proceed.

It's always my intention to try to multiply myself, to some degree. Squirrel away some work potential for later years. Of wait - what's that up ahead .... later years? Nutz. Better hurry.

Gotta go.

Gary
November 23, 2014 09:56PM
That looks really nice. I hope you've ironed out the bugs....
November 23, 2014 10:08PM
Gary,

That looks incredible! You sure put a lot of effort into the details.Will be interesting to see the negative impression when you roll the silver through the press.

How many hours roughly is that?

Pedro
November 23, 2014 10:59PM
2 1/2 days .... plus 41 years. thumbs up.

Pipe smoker

That's also cut into pre-hardened tool steel.

Gary
November 24, 2014 04:06AM
" plus 41 years"laughing again

Give or take, I suppose.
November 24, 2014 08:24PM
I'm sure this is obvious to someone but not me... Why cut into pre-hardened tool steel? Can you not harden the die after cutting without damage?
November 24, 2014 10:48PM
Hi Jerry,

If you note the very tiny detail, imagine that each tiny line has 2 extremely tiny (shallow) edges on each side. Multiply, compound. The entire design is a mass of relatively fragile edges. Fragile as they approach 1,850 degrees F where they would need to soak prior to being quenched, for hardening. An edge that fine, is about like burning steel wool. Easy. You'd ruin all of your detail by heat treating afterwards.

So; the compromise is that the steel blank must be hard enough to stand the shock of isolated stress (say one hundred tons per square inch) on my small press. It must be hard enough to retain detail. It must be possible to engrave it.

With this die - I've faced a host of issues. The design is full of small details. No broad design cuts to relieve stress. Therefore; I actually applied enough pressure to begin to crush the steel, and yet the annealed Nickle Silver would resist the imprint of the rolls.

This one has thrown me back in at the deep end. There are so many nearly impossible requirements within my world. You look up "roller engraving images" and you get mostly really elementary stuff done in the jewelry world (on the starter set ups of about $10k) .... Then you see the building sized half a million dollar machines. Oddly - not a lot of garage set ups.

I have prints. These cases will be "Bi-Metal" cases. Loving the stuff I see in my head. This trip back has about done me in though. Thought I had lost the die a couple of times. Not so.

Thanks for asking Jerry,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021